JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw this on the news. Supposedly the perp is a 30 year old male and the home owner is a 60 year old veteran.

I'm kinda shocked that the home owner even let it get to the point where they got into a physical altercation. o_O

I don't get it? Go out of your way, go outside of your home, to confront a trespasser, in the city no less, with your gun and end up shooting an unarmed person? It's guys like this that cause people to believe that we gun owners have that "Old West", "Wanna Get the Bad Guy" mentality. The public doesn't remember, or even thing about, when people risk their lives using a gun to protect/save someone.

The only good I get, maybe, from these "People", is something to remember to keep me from making a dumb mistake myself.

Last Edited:
I don't get it? Go out of your way, go outside of your home, to confront a trespasser, in the city no less, with your gun and end up shooting an unarmed person? It's guys like this that cause people to believe that we gun owners have that "Old West", "Wanna Get the Bad Guy" mentality. The public doesn't remember, or even thing about, when people risk their lives using a gun to protect/save someone.

The only good I get, maybe, from these idiots, is something to remember to keep me from making a dumb mistake myself.

Gotta disagree with you there Mike.

If someone is in my backyard then I am going to go find out why.

If said person assaults me, then he will find out that I'm carrying most of or all the time.

Would I use my gun on an unarmed person half my age? If I was afraid he might kill me I would.

I think the home owner was very restrained to only fire one shot. It obviously stopped the threat at that time and he did not empty a magazine into the guy.

IMO this is a fine example of a responsible home owner who owns guns to protect himself on his property.

If he shot the guy in the back as he was jumping over the fence to get out of the yard then I would agree with you.

Edit: I don't see hiding in your home and waiting for a trespasser to try to break in as an option.

I see both sides of the discussion. To me it depends on the situation and whether or not I am leaving my house to see why someone is on my property. As Joe knows my property is pretty wide open and I have camera's so I can see what is going on before I leave my home which gives me an advantage.

If it looks like some dude is lost then I am going out to set him straight. If I feel like the person is up to no good then I am calling the police and waiting. Nothing outside is worth it. If he is breaking into my shop or home then my guess is he's leaving quickly or going to the morgue.

This situation occurred in a developed neighborhood, with a fenced in backyard... I have a similar situation... if someone is wandering around my fenced in yard, I'm heading outside because they're not lost and certainly up to no good...

Considering the perp. Woke the homeowner, we are left to wonder what he was really up to and what his intentions were. Unfortunately, he took those secrets to the grave with him...

I'd be interested to know if he was drugged up and if there was an existing criminal record... my guess would be yes to both...

Alrighty then.

MUB47A3.png

It sounds like an open question at this point. You can't shoot someone for property crimes, you can if your (or some one else's) life is at risk. It will be a question that needs to get the "correct" answers. would have helped if the homeowner had called 911 before going outside. The old "I saw movement and thought it was a buck" excuse isn't going to work here.

Last Edited:
Yep ... another situation where the home owner MAY have made a tactical mistake. Why snatch legal and criminal defeat from the jaws of tactical victory? I would NOT have left the inside of my home. Just me.

Respectfully.

Gotta disagree with you there Mike.

If someone is in my backyard then I am going to go find out why.

If said person assaults me, then he will find out that I'm carrying most of or all the time.

Would I use my gun on an unarmed person half my age? If I was afraid he might kill me I would.

I think the home owner was very restrained to only fire one shot. It obviously stopped the threat at that time and he did not empty a magazine into the guy.

IMO this is a fine example of a responsible home owner who owns guns to protect himself on his property.

If he shot the guy in the back as he was jumping over the fence to get out of the yard then I would agree with you.

Edit: I don't see hiding in your home and waiting for a trespasser to try to break in as an option.

I don't see it as disagreement Joe. I see it as you would handle things differently than me, maybe. And you are free as can be to do just that. I'm figuring, in the political climate we are dealing with more and more here in the NW, no way I'm letting myself in for boo-coup legal troubles from a gung-ho DA being pressured by a bunch of anti 2nd amendment hoplophobes ! YMMV :D Like I just said in another thread, I'm not pulling a trigger on anyone unless it is the absolute last thing to do. Dude may very well have brought a huge pile of feces down upon himself unnecessarily by pulling that trigger.:(

I don't see it as disagreement Joe. I see it as you would handle things differently than me, maybe. And you are free as can be to do just that. I'm figuring, in the political climate we are dealing with more and more here in the NW, no way I'm letting myself in for boo-coup legal troubles from a gung-ho DA being pressured by a bunch of anti 2nd amendment hoplophobes ! YMMV :D Like I just said in another thread, I'm not pulling a trigger on anyone unless it is the absolute last thing to do. Dude may very well have brought a huge pile of feces down upon himself unnecessarily by pulling that trigger.:(
I don't see anything new about your attitude......even elite tactical troops like the Seals would much rather get in and out undetected without having to use deadly force. It is always the best if there is an option. The mission is rarely to simply kill someone.

I'm not pulling a trigger on anyone unless it is the absolute last thing to do

100% with you there;).

I'm hoping I make it thru this life without ever having had shot someone. I didn't serve long enough to see combat so I'd like to keep my record of zero people shot if at all possible.

I have a daughter and wife that are home alone at times and I wouldn't feel right thinking someone was casing my house. A confrontation would be the last thing I would want though. Just like when driving, I deescalate any potential problems as best as I can and a gun is the last thing on my mind.

i thought i had a backyard prowler once. i threw my plates on(no shirt, slippers and only bball shorts) and grabbed my suppressed 300blk pistol with streamlight on it. i crept out my front door/locked it behind me to find nothing except the wind and a tree limb scratching the siding.

my neighbor next door(a deputy chief LEO) was enjoying a beer in his garage on his night off and started laughing his @$$ off when i came back from the back yard looking like i was going to war.

"man, i knew you were going to go check on that. i can hear it from my bedroom too. im glad YOU are my neighbor!"

LOL funny thing is he saw me creepin to my backyard too.

i put my stuff away and had a beer with'm.

i STG he doesnt sleep and sees everythig that goes on. we live in a very good neighborhood. not a lot of riff raff

The only good I get, maybe, from these idiots, is something to remember to keep me from making a dumb mistake myself.

The property owner was sixty and may have physical difficulty's you may not be understanding of having not ever had the experience, for instance being breathless and having a bad heart. A struggle is now or may be life threatening under this circumstance.

We will just have to wait this out and hope for the best.
I would like to think the property owner had no real intentions of killing a person as he confronted the trespasser on his private property, no matter how large or small, city or no city.
Silver Hand

I see both sides of the discussion. To me it depends on the situation and whether or not I am leaving my house to see why someone is on my property. As Joe knows my property is pretty wide open and I have camera's so I can see what is going on before I leave my home which gives me an advantage.

If it looks like some dude is lost then I am going out to set him straight. If I feel like the person is up to no good then I am calling the police and waiting. Nothing outside is worth it. If he is breaking into my shop or home then my guess is he's leaving quickly or going to the morgue.

As hard as it can be I have to agree. My yard is fenced. If I see someone out there I would call 911. May ask at a window WTF are you doing and hit them with light. Walking out and confronting them is just asking for this. Sure it's his home and he had every right. The problem now is this may turn into a HUGE, and I mean HUGE financial mess for this poor guy. Anyone who wants to go out to confront someone has to stop and think. Will this be worth losing everything I have?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews