JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Washington State prohibits carrying firearms on school premises:

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

(a) Any firearm;

Does this apply to schools that are closed & no longer used as schools? There's an elementary school nearby that's been closed for years & is used as a dog park/cut-through for the neighborhood. Does this property still retain its "school premises" status even though it's not being used that way? I didn't see a definition in the law.

There's also this provision of the law:

(7) "GUN-FREE ZONE" signs shall be posted around school facilities giving warning of the prohibition of the possession of firearms on school grounds.

I don't see these anywhere around the property.

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools

If they aren't being used by public or private schools, I don't think the law applies to them... but that's just what I think.

If they aren't being used by public or private schools, I don't think the law applies to them... but that's just what I think.

... or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools

It's not clear to me whether the "while being used" modifier applies to all of the places listed, or just the "areas of facilities" portion of this sentence. I may just call my local PD to ask their opinion - although, if they say "yes", I'd really like to better understand how to interpret this.

Notice that the law specifically says elementary, secondary and private schools so that means it is legal to carry on a college campus although I suppose they might be offended if you did.

Also, here they rent out the gyms for non-school related programs, since that's not "while being used exclusively by public or private schools" I wonder how that would be adjudicated?

Here in Vancouver there's an ex school building that's being used as a club with the Boys and Girls Club sharing the facilities. Since it's not "while being used exclusively by public or private schools" it's again a questionable area.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
ACSSW Member

Not directly related, but kinda close. If you have a concealed carry permit, you can carry while dropping off and picking up a child at a school. Subsection 3 is a list of exceptions to carry a weapon on school grounds.
9.41.280 subsection 3 part (e)
Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top