Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WA State: Guns on School Premises?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Sun195, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Washington State prohibits carrying firearms on school premises:

Does this apply to schools that are closed & no longer used as schools? There's an elementary school nearby that's been closed for years & is used as a dog park/cut-through for the neighborhood. Does this property still retain its "school premises" status even though it's not being used that way? I didn't see a definition in the law.

There's also this provision of the law:

I don't see these anywhere around the property.

2. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

I would say since there are no students or teachers, it's not a "school" anymore. It's simply a building now. You're probably fine. :thumbup:

3. Tactical SS

Tactical SS Washington Member

If they aren't being used by public or private schools, I don't think the law applies to them... but that's just what I think.

4. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

It's not clear to me whether the "while being used" modifier applies to all of the places listed, or just the "areas of facilities" portion of this sentence. I may just call my local PD to ask their opinion - although, if they say "yes", I'd really like to better understand how to interpret this.

5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Notice that the law specifically says elementary, secondary and private schools so that means it is legal to carry on a college campus although I suppose they might be offended if you did.

Also, here they rent out the gyms for non-school related programs, since that's not "while being used exclusively by public or private schools" I wonder how that would be adjudicated?

Here in Vancouver there's an ex school building that's being used as a club with the Boys and Girls Club sharing the facilities. Since it's not "while being used exclusively by public or private schools" it's again a questionable area.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC Member
    ACSSW Member

6. bryan7675

bryan7675 Kent, WA New Member

Not directly related, but kinda close. If you have a concealed carry permit, you can carry while dropping off and picking up a child at a school. Subsection 3 is a list of exceptions to carry a weapon on school grounds.
    9.41.280 subsection 3 part (e)
    Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;