JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I finally got off my butt to go across the river and apply for my Washington CPL. I got tired of having to choose between being a defenseless victim or an outlaw every time I go visit family.
The lady first said it would take 30 days, then said no, actually it would take about 60. That seems excessive. I don't know if it's because they are inundated with applications, or because I'm an out of state applicant. Can anybody who had gotten theirs recently tell me how long it took?

Why get a Washington permit? Utah covers Washington and a bunch of other states.

FYI, -UD

Well, for me, I don't travel outside of the OR/WA area and so going over to the Clark County Sheriff's office was quick, easy, and cheaper. Some things are not always the best deal.

-- Bob

True.. I think most guys get a Utah permit in Oregon. It covers like 20 states, including Washington, and costs the same as an only Washington permit.

For the wife and I, it was 30 days just to get an appointment in King County for the fingerprinting and backround check. Then just about 30 before we got them in the mail.

Ric

So I finally got off my butt to go across the river and apply for my Washington CPL. I got tired of having to choose between being a defenseless victim or an outlaw every time I go visit family.
The lady first said it would take 30 days, then said no, actually it would take about 60. That seems excessive. I don't know if it's because they are inundated with applications, or because I'm an out of state applicant. Can anybody who had gotten theirs recently tell me how long it took?

RCW 9.41.070 gives the sheriff UP TO 30 days for a resident and UP TO 60 days for a non-resident. Some counties that are not so gun friendly, may take every day allowed, other counties it will take one or two days at the most, like my county..Okanogan. I understand Kitsap Co will issue same day. As a non-resident you can apply at any co Sheriff in the state

If you are going to apply in Clark, you might want to find out what their track record is, you might want to apply at one of the smaller county Sheriff's offices that are close to you, or come on up to Okanogan County.

You do not need to be a criminal in WA, just OC, no license needed. First, read RCW 9.41.060 (exemptions to .050) If you are doing any Outdoor Recreational activity, or going to, or coming from same, you can carry as you please without a CPL. Same for going to the range... just read .060 RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

As an additional data point, I applied for my Oregon (in Washington County) and Utah permits about the same time and just recently got both. The Oregon permit took 3 months and the Utah permit took two months.

FWIW I understand that Clark is a bit busy since they are closest to Portland. I can tell you that when I got my permit from Cowlitz county they told me it should be about 2-3 weeks (as a resident) but I received my permit in just a few days.

Right now I am on day 160 of waiting for my Oregon Residents CHL. State "maximums" mean nothing to these local small town Sheriffs. We had our Utah non-resident permits in hand 76 days after mailing in the application.

As an additional data point, I applied for my Oregon (in Washington County) and Utah permits about the same time and just recently got both. The Oregon permit took 3 months and the Utah permit took two months.

3 months for your CHL? law says they have 45 days. Now, what are you going to about it for those that follow you.

Right now I am on day 160 of waiting for my Oregon Residents CHL. State "maximums" mean nothing to these local small town Sheriffs. We had our Utah non-resident permits in hand 76 days after mailing in the application.

It does make a difference when you put their feet to the legal fire. There are parts in state law, on how to handle public servants that ignore state law.

I got my WA CPL when I was still a CA resident. I showed up at the bellevue police dept, filled out the paperwork, got finger printed. My permit showed up in the mail about a week or so after I got home. I'm fairly sure the deadlines enumerated in law are held to rather fastly by WA sheriffs and police chiefs, whether they like it or not. FYI, I got my non-resident permit in 30 days. Here's the code:

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

It's quirky I know, but except in cases where people just moved to WA, most people (even non residents) get a permit in 30 days or less.

It's quirky I know, but except in cases where people just moved to WA, most people (even non residents) get a permit in 30 days or less.

If you have a WA ID your are a resident for the 30/60 day max thing. And yes,, other than a few specific counties a couple days (res or non res) rather than the max allowed. All the counties have their part done in a couple hours, however, some counties have been known to sit on the app until the last minute.

I got my CPL in 11 days from the time I got fingerprinted to the time it showed up in my mail box. Skagit County Sheriff's office ROCKS!!!! Of course all I have ever has is a WDL except for my international DL in the mid 80s.

Brutus Out

3 months for your CHL? law says they have 45 days. Now, what are you going to about it for those that follow you.

It does make a difference when you put their feet to the legal fire. There are parts in state law, on how to handle public servants that ignore state law.

Our Sheriffs office says they are too busy and can only process 110 applications per month. To get around the 45 day rule they would not accept any applications until the appointment day. Back in April when I went in to apply they said the next opening for an appointment was in 20 weeks. At then end of the appointment the gal said that they normally take 45 days but because of the backlog it could be another 90 days before my CPL was issued! This is crazy slow for a shall issue State. And like I said before, we have had our Utah permits since June.

I went across the river to get the WA CHL. I had them do fingerprint card for FL at the same time. Sent the FL packet same day.

FL CHL arrived exactly 15 days later while WA took almost 60. Funny thing is that FL permit is good in WA....and it's laminated.

It took me probably 3 months to get a non resident OR CHL after jumping through all the hoops and that wasn't during any kind of rush...

Not to mention Multnomah County aren't even doing non-resident permits right now because of demand...

It could always be worse.

I went across the river to get the WA CHL. I had them do fingerprint card for FL at the same time. Sent the FL packet same day.

FL CHL arrived exactly 15 days later while WA took almost 60. Funny thing is that FL permit is good in WA....and it's laminated.

Florida used honor Washington residents permit but that is no longer the case. Same thing for Florida, Washington no longer honors Florida permit.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews