JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was in an explorer post for SAR when i was in middle school. Actually got certified in Columbia county OR when I was 12.

As a kid I loved it. Have had a passion for the woods ever since. And with the training I got at a young age and made me extremely comfortable in the woods

Im not search and rescue but I am a volunteer firefighter and soon to be EMT, I find it to be some of the most rewarding time I spend. Today we bought a young, not breathing- CPR in progress back to walking out to get on a gurney for transport. Dude is alive because of us. Hard to beat that for feeling like you did something worthwhile. I suspect helping find a lost kid or hiker is much the same thing.

Just realize you need to be prepared for the bad as well. My parents went out on many searches where they found the person tired and scared but fine. There were also some where, like when I was in high school and they searched the area of a teenage drunk driving accident for those that were not wearing their seat-belt and went down the river, they found the missing not so fine. There is a memorial tree at the high school for them. There are also those that are never found.

My parents always went out though, because they wanted to help people however they could.

I still have friends who are active and the time I spent was well worth it. A broken back took me out of the field but I had already met The Bride at a SAR Convention and we'll mark off 43 years on the 31st so I think I came out ahead. Being ESAR herself came in handy since we were together when I broke my back and she knew what to do.

My business partner is a k9 handler for Mountain Wave, with two dogs in training. He really enjoys it.

I've batted the idea around of joining a SAR group myself but at the moment I am strapped for free time, and its a pretty good investment in cash to get properly outfitted.

Most groups have their training meetings in the early evenings and I work till 9PM. I've also thought about applying as a reserve deputy with the SO once we hire an employee and I can pass the crappy hours onto a minion :D

SAR volunteers deserve mucho respect for what they do - be it rescuing a living lost person to bringing home the remains of decedents to their survivors. Tough job but rewarding. And they get great training opportunities - my partner just went to a seminar in colorado put on by some retired PD k9 handlers. Plus theres the fun survival stuff :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top