JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I spent 10 years in ESAR/WESAR in WA, but I started while I was still in Highschool. I have not been active for many years because of a hunting accident - I broke my Back. Unless you are in excellent condition or if you have some specific skills. It's much harder than it looks.:)

I spent 10 years in ESAR/WESAR in WA, but I started while I was still in Highschool. I have not been active for many years because of a hunting accident - I broke my Back. Unless you are in excellent condition or if you have some specific skills. It's much harder than it looks.:)

I'm sure. There's lots of technical stuff that I wouldn't have a clue about. That's part of the point. As far as being another set of eyes, or handing out gatorade or whatever, I'm sure I could figure it out until I develop skills to do more.

Was it rewarding?

I was on the county SAR team for a few years. I enjoyed it and had a great time training and going on missions. Good way to serve the community and get some good training for yourself. Highly recommended.

I eventually burned out after getting off shift as a firefighter then follow up with hiking in to carry someone out of the woods who shouldn't have entered them in the first place.

Yeah I applied for Priest Lake SAR. They operate throughout Bonner County ID. They are processing my BGC this week. They sent me a pretty extensive pack list for a 72 hour bag that you carry on missions. I actually have 90% of it in my backpacking pack but I'd like to put together a dedicated pack.

Looking at the 2017 training schedule, some things that caught my eye beyond the minimum training requirements are:

Wilderness survival
Wilderness first aid
Navigation
Firearms training

I worked for a county sheriff's dept for 25 years. The volunteer units are only as successful as that sheriff will let them be! Some had highly successful SAR units that met and trained often. Another used it as a club for Rich donors. He only wanted sworn staff actually doing the work. I also worked for another that disbanded the volunteer's because he wanted complete control. It just depends on how they are going to be used.

in the late 60's my dad was a dog trainer and worked with the SAR team [ But back then they were called the Sheriff's posse]. In those days I could still run, hike or ski 20 miles a day without feeling it much the next day.
These days 20 miles on horseback would have me crippled the next day!

If it were me I'd spend some time with the SAR group to see how they are used, and how they are liked [as a group] before I signed up. If they are a good, well trained group it can be a lot of fun. Good Luck DR

Hi Slimer13,

I was with Pacific NW SAR (PNW) based out of Clackamas county here in the Portland area for a number of years. Still an active member, however I haven't been out in a while. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have.

Any SAR outfit worth their salt will have a new member training for the first year, with ongoing continued learning there after. Hope it goes well for you.

Eric

Hey SparksFly,

Mountain Wave is a radio support outfit (at least they were when I was active). A lot of ex military radio guys find a home there. Good SAR group!

However if you're more of a boots on the ground guy, I would recommend either PMR (Pacific Mountain Rescue) or PNWSAR (Pacific North West).

"What's the difference" you ask? Good question!

First and foremost all of the aforementioned are great groups with top notch people.

PMR works primarily from the tree line to the top of the mountain. Being an excellent skier is fairly vital. On average you may be called out 10 times a year.

PNW is primarily from the tree line on down. On average, you will get called out every weekend (slight exaggeration, but just slight).

Often times the groups work together. Anyway feel free to shoot me any questions you may have.

Eric

Hey SparksFly,

Mountain Wave is a radio support outfit (at least they were when I was active). A lot of ex military radio guys find a home there. Good SAR group!

However if you're more of a boots on the ground guy, I would recommend either PMR (Pacific Mountain Rescue) or PNWSAR (Pacific North West).

First and foremost all of the aforementioned are great groups with top notch people.

PMR works primarily from the tree line to the top of the mountain. Being an excellent skier is fairly vital. On average you may be called out 10 times a year.

PNW is primarily from the tree line on down. On average, you will get called out every weekend (slight exaggeration, but just slight).

Often times the groups work together. Anyway feel free to shoot me any questions you may have.

Eric
I certainly will! Thanks for the info!

I volunteer on SAR teams in two counties and enjoy a bit. I am always happy to talk gear.

Thanks, PM incoming soon.

Thanks for the replies! As far as training, PLSAR requires 12 hours minimum of training yearly with CPR/first aid and the SAR academy within the first 18 months.

Their next meeting is Oct 13 which I will have to attend to be voted in and I'll get some more info.

If it's too political or whatever, I can always do something else but my BIL signed up with them a few weeks ago and seems to like it so far.

I just want to get out and do more, learn cool things, and maybe end up helping someone. I have a little disposable time now that the kids are a little older and know my way around the woods pretty good.

Hey SparksFly,

Eric
These days mountain wave is trying to be the do everything team they've gotten huge and have k9 teams, radio, 4wd, comms etc

I'm in the Wasco county SAR. I like it because it keeps my GPS/navigation skills sharp but mostly because I'm with like minded individuals that like to shoot, hunt and hike. We have time to talk about survival and gear at the meetings, I'm always learning something new. You must complete the SAR academy to participate in actual searches. Wasco is taking applications now I believe.

Im not search and rescue but I am a volunteer firefighter and soon to be EMT, I find it to be some of the most rewarding time I spend. Today we bought a young, not breathing- CPR in progress back to walking out to get on a gurney for transport. Dude is alive because of us. Hard to beat that for feeling like you did something worthwhile. I suspect helping find a lost kid or hiker is much the same thing.

Went to my first meeting last night. It was interesting. Looking to do wilderness first aid training Dec 2-3. Sounds like its pretty good medical training. Turns out all of the training PLSAR offers is totally free.:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top