JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I feel guilty often that I have never volunteered for anything. I also want to get out into the woods more like I used to.

I am 30, fairly fit, have all the "gear" I think I would need except radios and maybe a better GPS? Or rock climbing stuff if that is a thing?

My questions are:

Time commitment?

Training given?

Do you feel like it is a worthwhile activity?

How much $ for gear? I already have a pack, kit bag, all the supplies needed for backpacking/day hikes etc.

What happens if you can't make a rescue call?

Spent time in SAR in the USCG.

Not what you are looking for though. Just saying.

Always thought it would be nice to be in a local volunteer group, but was too busy with my career and family and now I am too old. Good luck - it is a worthwhile way to spend time outdoors IMO.

I volunteer for Bonner County ID SOVSAR. Haven't been super active because of COVID shutting down alot of training and life. Hoping to get some snowmobile training in this winter though.

Every organization is going to be different, but for that one, life comes first, there is no obligation to attend any single call. There is a minimum training requirements that must be met every year, a SAR academy (a weekend) that must be attended and a minimum MED cert (wilderness first aid is ours). We have a backcountry rescue unit, UTV/ATV units, ski/snowboard units etc that have additional requirements.

Free training that I have taken advantage of is Tech rescue, firearms training, snowmobile, land nav, WFA, and some survival stuff.

Totally worthwhile IMO.

As far as gear goes, again, every organization is going to be slightly different, but it depends on exactly how much you are going to want to do and how much they have.

You aren't going to need much if you only work at the CP.

For us, to work in the field, there is a specific list although it is never really enforced to the letter. It's more like "pack check, show me your FAK" etc. Basically you need to have on your back everything you need to survive (not camp comfortably) for 72 hours.

Radios are issued for every mission/training, but are available to purchase if you choose.

For us firearms can be carried, but minimum qual must be met. Loosely based on the POST.

The Sheriff's Office has some UTV/ATVs, sleds, boats that we have access to, but most guys use personal equipment.

If we want to do technical rescue, we have alot of gear, but a personal harness and helmet is recommended.

I backpack and snowboard and own an ATV, so I think the only SAR specific piece of gear that I've purchased is a chest pack and an Eberlstock X2, although I have used both for other things.

As far as gear goes, again, every organization is going to be slightly different, but it depends on exactly how much you are going to want to do and how much they have.

You aren't going to need much if you only work at the CP.

For us, to work in the field, there is a specific list although it is never really enforced to the letter. It's more like "pack check, show me your FAK" etc. Basically you need to have on your back everything you need to survive (not camp comfortably) for 72 hours.

Radios are issued for every mission/training, but are available to purchase if you choose.

For us firearms can be carried, but minimum qual must be met. Loosely based on the POST.

The Sheriff's Office has some UTV/ATVs, sleds, boats that we have access to, but most guys use personal equipment.

If we want to do technical rescue, we have alot of gear, but a personal harness and helmet is recommended.

I backpack and snowboard and own an ATV, so I think the only SAR specific piece of gear that I've purchased is a chest pack and an Eberlstock X2, although I have used both for other things.

Yeah I read through the gear list for my county, and I have 95% of it already, packed in my day/emegency 24 pack I take with me hiking anyway.

I don't own fancy vehickes like snow machines, but I do have a fairly capable 4x4. I figure my ability to cover miles on foot is probably the biggest asset by not sure.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top