JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Contrary to what some may believe, Portland is encouraging citizen prepping for disasters. They are encouraging everyone to step up and have at least 14 gallons of clean water per person on hand, you might have seen the OPB water challenge for instance. http://www.opb.org/news/series/unprepared/oregon-earthquake-14-gallons-water/

Next, they have organized and support what is called NET teams. NET standing for Neighborhood Emergency Training. Basically, the point is that if everyone can be braced and prepped for the next disaster, they will not just be another resource sucking citizen, but can have enough bandwidth to help their neighbors. My neighborhood is up and going and I still need to get involved. A couple of things pointed out to me via questioning were:

1) Do you have a pair of shoes under your bed? (I do now) Sticking a pair of shoes under your bed and leaving them there so that if your windows shatter (which they certainly will in a serious earthquake) , walking on glass will be much easier:)

2nd) Whats in your car kit? (sounded like a bug out bag for the car). Cough, I've been meaning to do this* cough**. Will be putting that together. Having comfortable shoes a backpack and some potable water purification tablets in a canteen nearby in the event the roads are closed off due to debris isn't a bad idea.

More info:
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/pbem/31667?

Hopefully some of you can use this or direct folks you know who live in PDX to it.

I know several PPL involved, it's a recruiting tool to gather young PPL who are looking for direction and a framework in their lives. the selection process is subtle and linked to other programs

Dealing with the broken windows & stepping on sharp glass is no fun. Following that thought: have a few rolls of poly sheeting & duct tape on hand. Doubt anyone will have replacement windows & doors ready to install the next day. Both clear & black poly sheeting are a good bet. Have enough to keep mother nature out of at least one room. Black for some privacy on windows, don't want to advertise you have food & water.

Water: How many are counting on water from the hot water tank? Has anyone drained the tank lately? Will water even come out of the drain? My money says the drain is plugged with rust, dirt, and mineral deposits.

Foreverlost,

A good program. They even let you submit a copy of your Oregon CHL to qualify as a background check. NET Guidelines (C-3 of 04) states:
I will not bring guns or other weapons to NET activities even if my possession of them is lawful (lock blade pocket knives or fixed blade knives under 6 inches may be carried as tools).

which my response is:
concealed
kənˈsēld/
adjective: kept secret; hidden.

I will not bring guns or other weapons to NET activities even if my possession of them is lawful (lock blade pocket knives or fixed blade knives under 6 inches may be carried as tools).

Lame! Typical ruling class mindset, thinking guns are a problem rather than a solution. The people without guns will be depending on the armed ones soon enough if that earthquake hits. Maybe we should enforce this rule: "I will not participate in earthquake response activities unless I am prepared to defend my own life first."

Just kidding, but this helplessness mindset just annoys the heck out of me.

Met some NET folks at a Multi County drill last Fall (I'm a CERT member from Yamhill County), they were all great people with common interests of prepping and preparedness/emergency response when first responders are over whelmed.

Generally, they teach and train some very useful skills.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top