JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That's not really that those are designed for.
Could you bolt a regular vise to a wider base for stability without permanently attaching it to a bench or table? Like, say, a 3'x3' scrap of plywood?

Could you bolt a regular vise to a wider base for stability without permanently attaching it to a bench or table? Like, say, a 3'x3' scrap of plywood?
Lack of space precludes that option, unfortunately. I know it's not what they're meant for... just trying to figure out how to MacGyverize something to get my Zero Upper Body Strength through the forty-pound requirement. Thanks for the idea, though. :)

I could *probably* fire the build as-is if I put it on the "live" lower rather than the blank, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing so and it would be "Red Carded" as an Emergency Use Only item until properly torqued.

I've got something similar to this that I use when I need to be away from my regular work bench. You could easily clamp a vise down on it, or, bolt the vise to a board and clamp the board in the table to hold it steady. Should easily hold the 40# you need. And the table folds away to save space when you're not using it. Bonus is you can take it with you, but a board on top and make a shooting table, etc. Just under $40 on Amazon, though I think places like Home Depot, Lowe's carry something similar - maybe Harbor Freight.

71lrJhH75jL._SL1500_.jpg

81nmfi6frHL._SL1500_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/Performanc...509285460&sr=8-2&keywords=portable+bench+vise

Well, if you're basically just needing it for one time or very occasional use this might be a case where you're farther ahead to just visit a buddy's garage. Kind of like spending $200 on a jig and buying a drill press and router to machine one lower. Only really makes good sense if you use them a bunch.
Good luck on your build.

Thanks, guys. @etrain16 that forty pounds isn't weight, it's the amount of torque I need to put on barrel and castle nuts. I had been planning to outsource the barrel nut to a pro, but I'm guessing by email non-response he's got active on-bench work taking priority over estimates so I'm looking to re-"in-source" anything that I can safely do myself. (Refinishing and cutting metal are sadly beyond my capabilities for the foreseeable future.)

You're gonna laugh at this, but in addition to being stuck sharing a studio apartment, one of my goals between tools and capabilities is to have everything I need in a readily portable package so that given only the parts to work with I could fully assemble an AR right there at the firing bench in an hour or two, then immediately move straight into live-fire testing; or with a little longer extend that even to "starting from 80% blank." (Which is partially because someday I want to make a political statement via a while-pol-watches on-range demo: "if it's so simple even a retard like YOU could do it, the genie is out of the bottle and any ban is pointless.")

I have a 5" vise flush-bolted to a 3/4" x 2' x 2' piece of plywood that I can easily move around.
Being smart about padding, you can clamp it to the kitchen table without anyone knowing.
Unless they catch you red-handed in the act of torquing a barrel.

:)

Do you have a trailer hitch? You could do back alley builds!

Hitch Mount Vise Plate

View attachment 401160

Now that's bad-a$$ed right there! Years ago I used to have a pipe vise set up like that so I could ratchet-thread gas-pipe off the back bumper of my Toyota 4x4 pickup when I was doing residential work back in my 20's.

Man, talk about being young, dumb, and fulla..... well, never mind! ;)

Last Edited:
Same idea as the one above, but have the vise mounted on a 2' long 2x6 and you could just park a cars wheel on top of it if you don't have a hitch receiver.

Lol I've ended up in a certain predicament for my AR builds recently. I ended using a small vise (3inch i believe) on a card table. This works great for basic install of parts. Not much for the barrel or buffer tube. On my first one I was able to anchor the table and use my weight as a counter balance, but this was not fun. The vice would come lose. The second time I found a friend with a proper vice.

Thanks, guys. @etrain16 that forty pounds isn't weight, it's the amount of torque I need to put on barrel and castle nuts. I had been planning to outsource the barrel nut to a pro, but I'm guessing by email non-response he's got active on-bench work taking priority over estimates so I'm looking to re-"in-source" anything that I can safely do myself. (Refinishing and cutting metal are sadly beyond my capabilities for the foreseeable future.)

You're gonna laugh at this, but in addition to being stuck sharing a studio apartment, one of my goals between tools and capabilities is to have everything I need in a readily portable package so that given only the parts to work with I could fully assemble an AR right there at the firing bench in an hour or two, then immediately move straight into live-fire testing; or with a little longer extend that even to "starting from 80% blank." (Which is partially because someday I want to make a political statement via a while-pol-watches on-range demo: "if it's so simple even a retard like YOU could do it, the genie is out of the bottle and any ban is pointless.")
I was an armorer in the Cav. I practically lived in my armored personnel carrier with my tool boxes and spare parts. I pulled off some amazing things while in the field. I totally get your vision.

No one said this outright, so just to cover the bases - no, your suggestions will in no way be able to hold 40 ftlbs without fastening them down - the workmate type fold-able bench or the tow hitch bolt on are the best options so far.

No one said this outright, so just to cover the bases - no, your suggestions will in no way be able to hold 40 ftlbs without fastening them down - the workmate type fold-able bench or the tow hitch bolt on are the best options so far.
Dood, you're wrong.
I've done it my way (see above) several times or I wouldn't have recommended it.
I'm a tool guy and actually know what I'm talking about when it come to tools.
I could even be a tool, myself.

:)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews