JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I made a post above about the forward assist being 99% useless, in hopes the thread would not die, but go to the usual 27 pages and inevitably turn to cars, smoked cheese, and various bodily functions...epic fail on my part.

In all seriousness...the forward assist has it's place as long as the operator knows when that is. Obviously in the case of Rittenhouse, it worked...but have seen way many more times it made the situation worse.

In most cases where the bolt does not close...do a quick rack of the charging handle and proceed vs jamming it harder. It's always preferred to be able to find the cause, but in the middle of a confrontation where pills have the right of way is not the time to dissect the cause.

If it fails to close again...proceed cautiously with the remedy. If ya gotta use the assist, tap light to medium force and it should solve the problem. Go full force and it might need a hammer and rod to remove a stuck case.

Be well all...

But I was counting on the various odd subjects that some threads morph into.

I made a post above about the forward assist being 99% useless, in hopes the thread would not die, but go to the usual 27 pages and inevitably turn to cars, smoked cheese, and various bodily functions...epic fail on my part.

In all seriousness...the forward assist has it's place as long as the operator knows when that is. Obviously in the case of Rittenhouse, it worked...but have seen way many more times it made the situation worse.

In most cases where the bolt does not close...do a quick rack of the charging handle and proceed vs jamming it harder. It's always preferred to be able to find the cause, but in the middle of a confrontation where pills have the right of way is not the time to dissect the cause.

If it fails to close again...proceed cautiously with the remedy. If ya gotta use the assist, tap light to medium force and it should solve the problem. Go full force and it might need a hammer and rod to remove a stuck case.

Be well all...

But I was counting on the various odd subjects that some threads morph into.
Too boring of a topic, too normal of a question.

maybe something snagged his charging handle in the fight for it or a hard knock caused inertia to unlock...

Whats interesting about the forward assist is while many agree its -virtually- never used, it dominates most all gun builds. People want it.

Forward assist...
I like 'em...even if they ain't that useful for most situations.

However....
There I was....in a firefight.
I changed magazines...and charged the Carbine I was using...the bolt went forward...mostly.
Hitting the forward assist...sent it home...and I was able to continue firing.

With all that said...
I was in a dusty , dirty , gritty , sandy environment with a dirty Carbine...using it in a manner in which most people never have to.
So...the above is an exception...but I was glad that I had it that day.
I wasn't able to examine the shell casings...or the Carbine very much those two days...I was pretty busy doing other things...
So I don't know what was what....again...an exception , but nice to have options.
Andy

I was in a dusty , dirty , gritty , sandy environment with a dirty Carbine...using it in a manner in which most people never have to.
So...the above is an exception...
Most civilian rifles never get used outside a range. Im guessing in the military in actual combat it might get used more than the 1% civilians need it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews