JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A folding bench might be just the answer... knock it down flat for storage, then take it outside for work with a dirty sweatshirt strategically draped over the barrel/upper or tube/lower to obscure that it's gun parts.

A folding bench might be just the answer... knock it down flat for storage, then take it outside for work with a dirty sweatshirt strategically draped over the barrel/upper or tube/lower to obscure that it's gun parts.
I use this and the vise setup described above.
24 x 48 from Bimart
COSCO Samsonite Folding Chairs, Folding Tables, Children's Furniture, Stepstools, Ladders - Dansanna International

I wouldn't build an engine on it, but it works for torquing an AR barrel.

Dood, you're wrong.
I've done it my way (see above) several times or I wouldn't have recommended it.
I'm a tool guy and actually know what I'm talking about when it come to tools.
I could even be a tool, myself.

:)
Oh i didn't see your large piece of wood suggestion, sure, that works, but i'm talking about the loose version, nothing bolted to anything.

Check out Harbor Frieght for a larger selection of vises! The Chinese mastered cast iron 4,000 years ago.
I would try to bolt the vise to a piece of 2"x6" by 3-4' then stand on the base and torque in a pulling motion! Then, for lighter work clamp the base in a Workmate, etc! Easy on the back then!
I own nine different work benches! The most versital is a
2"X10" X 8' fir board clamped or dogged into a pair of Black&Decker Workmates. It's easy to adjust for level or plumb! I have, over the years, worked out a bunch of clamping rigs for it including clamping a lot of different vises! Using the cutouts of three MDF sheets I have a 2-3/4" thick, stable, glueing table in the shape of a 1/2 circle that I can clamp to the workmate in a couple seconds!
A couple of simple rules, the power splitter and electric tools are under the workmates there are pouches and shelves for that built in to them. 363248DE-7FD1-4C7F-B2D7-A169C0DA94B0.jpeg

No photos of the bench described at the top! This is my best bench! 01F3A272-39EA-4DCD-A53E-D0E6CE36F6A7.jpeg

Last Edited:
Do you have a vehicle with a receiver hitch? 2x2 square tube welded to a flat plate that a bench vice bolts too slide if in the receiver hitch an you have a stable vice mount.

Universal Bench Grinder Stand

Could be converted with plywood top to use for vise, small drill press, reloading, shooting bench, night stand, etc.

+1...
One of the best things I ever purchased for my gunsmithing/reloading needs... I bolted a cheapo harbor freight vise on one side and my little RCBS partner press on the other... I can move it around the house and workshop as needed for different projects, and it is plenty stable. I've used it several times for torquing and removing barrels, and converted hundreds and hundreds of 5.56 to 300 BO without issue. IMG_3799.JPG

Can I buy vise that has a C-clamp a that attaches to my workbench to work on my AR15 lower? It should I buy one that fastened down to my work bench?

olympia-vises-38-603-64_1000.jpg

I think if your just putting a lower together you will be fine with that. If your milling 80% lowers I wouldn't do it.

You I bought a stripped lower receiver so this will be my first lower build. Planning on getting a fully assembled upper or maybe a bare bones upper and then choose my hand guards. Not sure yet.

My view only. You would be happier with a dedicated bolted to the wall studs high hobby bench. Mine has a 42" tall work surface. Consider a high quality, (expensive) 5" or 6" smooth jaw bolted-through-the bench-top vise. You will appreciate the tight stability when torquing up that pesky OEM barrel nut to 40-42 lbs. using a confirmed accuracy click type torque wrench.

Here we go again. Old school method. The barrel gets locked down very tight using those old fashioned old school aluminum barrel vise jaw holders. Use something to pad the barrel to eliminate aluminum marking of the barrel. The upper receiver floats and is stabilized with one hand. Be sure to reduce the net torque allowing for the added extension of the preferred barrel wrench.

This post addresses only the choice of an appropriate bench vise and the necessary stability of the hobby bench. The bolt on vise can be easily removed for other projects. The high bench height also works using a sturdy stool. Do not forget the good overhead lighting and the preferred soft background music. A fan is nice in hot weather. I like decaf iced tea with lemon. No sugar.

Just me. Others will have different preferences.

Well over 200 AR15 builds and uncounted M16 rebuilds but all long ago and far away. Now an Old Coot! :)

You I bought a stripped lower receiver so this will be my first lower build. Planning on getting a fully assembled upper or maybe a bare bones upper and then choose my hand guards. Not sure yet.

Think about the future. I think for what you want to do now you will be fine with it. Bolt down one's have advantages that will give you a heads up in the future if you ever want to do a 80% or other things.

Every estate sale that I go to has a bench vise for sale, even if it's full of old lady stuff, as the husband might be long gone, the little old lady didn't unbolt the vise off of his garage workbench and toss it into the trash.
Generally you can view pictures of the upcoming sales on EstateSales-Finder beforehand and they're priced to sell, plus, they're quality vintage American made to last 100 years models.

Craigslist always has few up for sale. Here's a guy in SE Portland selling three for cheap.
I would buy the Craftsman (Blue) for only $30.00.

00Q0Q_biD7Q31ZeRO_1200x900.jpg

This is vise that I bought at Home Depot. It is clamp one but I can also use this on RC airplanes and N scale trains. The desk is fairly heavy and has a 1/2" synthetic board of some kind.

2E5F4322-010E-4A18-BC6D-6D17D2108E5D.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top