JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That's not really that those are designed for.
Could you bolt a regular vise to a wider base for stability without permanently attaching it to a bench or table? Like, say, a 3'x3' scrap of plywood?

Could you bolt a regular vise to a wider base for stability without permanently attaching it to a bench or table? Like, say, a 3'x3' scrap of plywood?
Lack of space precludes that option, unfortunately. I know it's not what they're meant for... just trying to figure out how to MacGyverize something to get my Zero Upper Body Strength through the forty-pound requirement. Thanks for the idea, though. :)

I could *probably* fire the build as-is if I put it on the "live" lower rather than the blank, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing so and it would be "Red Carded" as an Emergency Use Only item until properly torqued.

I've got something similar to this that I use when I need to be away from my regular work bench. You could easily clamp a vise down on it, or, bolt the vise to a board and clamp the board in the table to hold it steady. Should easily hold the 40# you need. And the table folds away to save space when you're not using it. Bonus is you can take it with you, but a board on top and make a shooting table, etc. Just under $40 on Amazon, though I think places like Home Depot, Lowe's carry something similar - maybe Harbor Freight.

71lrJhH75jL._SL1500_.jpg

81nmfi6frHL._SL1500_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/Performanc...509285460&sr=8-2&keywords=portable+bench+vise

Well, if you're basically just needing it for one time or very occasional use this might be a case where you're farther ahead to just visit a buddy's garage. Kind of like spending $200 on a jig and buying a drill press and router to machine one lower. Only really makes good sense if you use them a bunch.
Good luck on your build.

Thanks, guys. @etrain16 that forty pounds isn't weight, it's the amount of torque I need to put on barrel and castle nuts. I had been planning to outsource the barrel nut to a pro, but I'm guessing by email non-response he's got active on-bench work taking priority over estimates so I'm looking to re-"in-source" anything that I can safely do myself. (Refinishing and cutting metal are sadly beyond my capabilities for the foreseeable future.)

You're gonna laugh at this, but in addition to being stuck sharing a studio apartment, one of my goals between tools and capabilities is to have everything I need in a readily portable package so that given only the parts to work with I could fully assemble an AR right there at the firing bench in an hour or two, then immediately move straight into live-fire testing; or with a little longer extend that even to "starting from 80% blank." (Which is partially because someday I want to make a political statement via a while-pol-watches on-range demo: "if it's so simple even a retard like YOU could do it, the genie is out of the bottle and any ban is pointless.")

I have a 5" vise flush-bolted to a 3/4" x 2' x 2' piece of plywood that I can easily move around.
Being smart about padding, you can clamp it to the kitchen table without anyone knowing.
Unless they catch you red-handed in the act of torquing a barrel.

:)

Do you have a trailer hitch? You could do back alley builds!

Hitch Mount Vise Plate

View attachment 401160

Now that's bad-a$$ed right there! Years ago I used to have a pipe vise set up like that so I could ratchet-thread gas-pipe off the back bumper of my Toyota 4x4 pickup when I was doing residential work back in my 20's.

Man, talk about being young, dumb, and fulla..... well, never mind! ;)

Last Edited:
Same idea as the one above, but have the vise mounted on a 2' long 2x6 and you could just park a cars wheel on top of it if you don't have a hitch receiver.

Lol I've ended up in a certain predicament for my AR builds recently. I ended using a small vise (3inch i believe) on a card table. This works great for basic install of parts. Not much for the barrel or buffer tube. On my first one I was able to anchor the table and use my weight as a counter balance, but this was not fun. The vice would come lose. The second time I found a friend with a proper vice.

Thanks, guys. @etrain16 that forty pounds isn't weight, it's the amount of torque I need to put on barrel and castle nuts. I had been planning to outsource the barrel nut to a pro, but I'm guessing by email non-response he's got active on-bench work taking priority over estimates so I'm looking to re-"in-source" anything that I can safely do myself. (Refinishing and cutting metal are sadly beyond my capabilities for the foreseeable future.)

You're gonna laugh at this, but in addition to being stuck sharing a studio apartment, one of my goals between tools and capabilities is to have everything I need in a readily portable package so that given only the parts to work with I could fully assemble an AR right there at the firing bench in an hour or two, then immediately move straight into live-fire testing; or with a little longer extend that even to "starting from 80% blank." (Which is partially because someday I want to make a political statement via a while-pol-watches on-range demo: "if it's so simple even a retard like YOU could do it, the genie is out of the bottle and any ban is pointless.")
I was an armorer in the Cav. I practically lived in my armored personnel carrier with my tool boxes and spare parts. I pulled off some amazing things while in the field. I totally get your vision.

No one said this outright, so just to cover the bases - no, your suggestions will in no way be able to hold 40 ftlbs without fastening them down - the workmate type fold-able bench or the tow hitch bolt on are the best options so far.

No one said this outright, so just to cover the bases - no, your suggestions will in no way be able to hold 40 ftlbs without fastening them down - the workmate type fold-able bench or the tow hitch bolt on are the best options so far.
Dood, you're wrong.
I've done it my way (see above) several times or I wouldn't have recommended it.
I'm a tool guy and actually know what I'm talking about when it come to tools.
I could even be a tool, myself.

:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews