JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We've all seen it; advertised new firearm in print or video, an item is shown at Shot Show (the first word may require a different vowel some years), or some other venue. Then it happens; bugs can't be worked out, company folds, not enough interest, runs afoul of some bureaucratic BS, it gets hung up in importation, a competitor beats them to the punch, or the whole thing just mysteriously disappears.

Of the vaporware guns you've seen over the years, which ones do you wish came to fruition? Was it for practical reasons or something more silly?

Enjoy. :)

For years and years, there was an add running in the NRA magazine wanting you to invest in some banking thing and they would send you a super nice Weatherby rifle! Never saw one, and don't know if or how many were sold, but they sure were purty in the pictures, and Grand dad and I lusted after one of those Weatherby's!

That's an easy one for me. Been waiting 3+ years now.
PSA MP5 clone. Love to have 3 9mm PCP that run the same mags (Scorpion, Vityaz, and MP5). Want to hear my Form 1 on a roller delay. But alas, it may be 4 years to never for me..:s0161:

Mine happened, and failed, failed hard. I still want one.

Hudson-H9.jpg

Last ShotShow maybe? PSA was pumping all sorts of stuff that I have not heard or seen anything about since...

Someone above mentioned the MP5 clone that wasnt going to be $1300

And the one I wanted, but will never get probably, if it ever comes out..... PSA claimed to be working on an SVD clone of some sort..............everybody and their mother knows it would sell like crazy......... but for some reason they are dragging their feet.

CZ Bren 2s in 5.56, barrel length doesnt matter. I am determined to find one

Edit: If anyone has one or knows of someone that has one please let me know lol

Last Edited:
A few come to mind, though they all, to one degree or another, fall into "silly" territory.

• Ruger XGI. Basically a Mini-14 in .308 and .243. It was plagued by accuracy issues (shocking, I know) and never entered production.
  • HMG Sturmgewehr. A semi-automatic recreation of the MP-44/StG-44 in 5.56㎜ NATO, 7.62㎜ ComBloc, 7.92㎜ Kurz, and .300 Blackout. There has been hoopla for years and video content showing said rifle. Last I heard it is still in development hell, though I haven't checked in a while. The site still shows "pre-order".
  • Taurus Judge 28-gauge. Despite a lot of chatter online, there was no way this was ever going to see the light of day. With a smooth-bore, it would be an AOW; with rifled a Destructive Device. So, legal, but how many buyers are going to pay the stamp on a Taurus, in a niche chambering, of dubious use.
  • Vantage Arms SIX12. Integrally suppressed, revolving cylinder fed, 12-gauge shotgun that looks like something out of Aliens. Last I heard, nothing but vapor and I haven't received an email update from the company in years.
  • Merwin & Hulbert reproductions. There was some plan do offer them, including being shown at Shot Show. I didn't follow it real closely, but it was a debacle.
  • Taurus Raging 223. I've only seen one in pictures and I'm skeptical it would even work. That suspicion is likely for good reason because it went nowhere.
  • It can't really be classed as vapor, but I've heard/read rumors of the Chinese producing new Mauser C/96 clones for export. I've never seen a new copy out of China, though pistols made back in the warlord era turn up from time to time.

Another one I have never actually seen: the Surbu side charger "Para" AR! Basically a non buffer AR with a side charging bolt!

Speaking of Mark Serbu, there was chatter, video, etc. about a single-shot, bolt-action 20x102㎜ in the works. It would, naturally, require Destructive Device (DD) registration. I don't now what happened with the development though. :s0092:

The Extar EP-10. Same excellent little gun I have, but in 10mm. When I first heard of Extar, they were saying that the .45 ACP and 10mm versions were in testing and would be released soon, so I held off on buying one in anticipation of the 10mm. After a few months, I gave up and decided to get the 9mm version, which was hard enough to score.

They continued promising the release of the 10mm version for about a year, then there was a rumor of a YouTube guy getting one for testing.

Then suddenly there was no more talk and the website dropped any mention of any other model other than the EP-9.

Sucks, because I would love to have one. Will be driving by their factory in March. Should stop by and chat.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top