JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only time I'll buy off gunbroker is if there's a good chance at getting AUG mags at a low price. And in one instance a RWS 48. Other than that I don't use it. If they want a money order, look at their reviews. If none, walk away. Never been burnt using any kind of payment.

I'm an untrusting person by nature. I don't use GB for that reason. If I can't find it here at NWFA or locally through a shop I don't need it! :)
Don't get an AUG. Online is the only place to find the factory mags for the most part. Other than 44mag, the only other place with good prices on them is gunbroker. Could get one that uses AR mags, but I absolutely refuse to do that.

On the USPS MO's I have never used them. I have been told they are safe again for the seller as they can cash them at a Post Office instead of having to deposit them
Not always true. I've had money orders where they simply didn't have enough cash on them to cash the money order. The thing with USPS money orders is its easy to tell that its a fake, and when in doubt ask the employee at the post office or call their verification number.

I order stuff online all the time. Parts and accessories mostly. I have ordered ONE lower online, from PSA.

[QUOTE="Boboclown, post:

Not always true. I've had money orders where they simply didn't have enough cash on them to cash the money order. The thing with USPS money orders is its easy to tell that its a fake, and when in doubt ask the employee at the post office or call their verification number.[/QUOTE]

As I said I have never used them but how is it a USPS MO can "not have enough cash on it to cash it"? That's a new one on me. I thought the buyer paid for them at a post office then sent it. How does it get to you without the face value of the cash on it?

I order stuff online all the time. Parts and accessories mostly. I have ordered ONE lower online, from PSA.

I have NEVER enjoyed shopping for stuff I need. I did used to occasionally like to go with the Wife to the malls just to knock around. When I want something I don't want to have to search, then deal with help, not be able to pay and get out. FedEx and UPS know my dogs names by now they are here so much. :s0112:

As I said I have never used them but how is it a USPS MO can "not have enough cash on it to cash it"? That's a new one on me. I thought the buyer paid for them at a post office then sent it. How does it get to you without the face value of the cash on it?
The MO can have up to 1k on one IICR (above 1k it goes on a separate money order). But what I'm talking about is the post office not having enough cash on hand for it.

OK now I see what you mean.
Yeah... Its my one dislike for them. Which is why I try to do face to face as a seller. You do get the money, sort of, in a day or two but it takes two weeks for the bank to see if its legit. That's why they prefer western union money orders for scams, since USPS does verify the money order if you call them.

I've made dozens of GB purchases with MO's. Never a problem. I always check their feedback first. I do pay with a CC if they accept that and don't charge a fee just because it is quicker. Not saying it won't be a problem at some point, but so far so good.

It is a coin toss. Of course you can be burned and burned badly. With the COVID-19 and many people not working, people get desperate and may be willing to commit minor fraud to pay the rent. Most people out-of-state will not pursue getting burned over $500 for example. If you have a guy selling his rifle, no feedback, but requiring a MO, you may be able to pick up the weapon at a great price. The reason, a good majority of people will not take the risk. Also be wary that sellers will most always have a "shill", bidding their rifle up as they know it may not get much action. Of course the major issue, you may get burned.

Sellers who take PayPal selling weapons will bring a premium price as bidding confidence will be high (PayPal generally favors the buyer). Of course I am giving this advice, and bought a Weatherby Mark V, 7mm Mag with a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm scope on it, and paid MO. The seller had only 2-feedback, both times buying not selling. This particular Weatherby rifle was made in West Germany where the quality was unmatched. The rifle and scope were easily worth $1,400 - $1,500 all day long, but was able to steal for $885. At first, the seller tried to tell me he meant to cancel the auction, but GB's system wouldn't let him. He obviously wasn't paying attention, and had no idea the rifle would sell that cheap. It also came with a Weatherby symbol padded leather rifle sling and canvas and leather gun case (another $200 value easy). He tried to say that they were not included, however, auction clearly stated they were. Anyhow, I was hesitant to send the MO, and thought he would try to rip me off, but sent it and received what I paid for in record time. This is the best buy I have ever made. But, I also could have been unlucky.

I've paid with money order on GB a couple times. never had a problem but I'm always checking their feedback before I bid. Most of the time I like the CC option so I have to really want it to go to the trouble of getting a MO

Bought on GB a few times with money orders. Never an issue. Though now, making better than minimum wage, I find it easier to just use my card, take the 3% hit (I mean, come on. It's really not that much more just to be done with it) and get my gun in a couple days. Saves an errand going to the bank, then the post office, then waiting and hoping the seller is honest, yadayada. Plus I get 2% back in rewards so.......

I've bought and sold a great many guns online (many of which on GB) since the late 90s, both for my own collection, and as an FFL. This includes both Title I and Title II (NFA) items. I've used both credit cards and money orders in those deals. The number of times I had any trouble worth much of a concern could be counted on one hand and even those were ultimately irrelevant. Not bad for over a couple of decades. YMMV.

I've purchased a couple of firearms on Gunbroker using USPS Money Orders, no issues. Only do such deals with established sellers that have a verifiable history of sales on Gunbroker. Check their rating and their feedback, if it's all good you are most likely good to go. When doing these money order deals I prefer to have the owners address and phone numbers, just for keeping lines of communications open.

Good luck with your quest!

Only do such deals with established sellers that have a verifiable history of sales on Gunbroker.

^ This is a must, imho. Buy or selling I only deal with established users now, if it is auction setting like GB. Even then there can be a hiccup, but generally to get to that point they are confirmed not to be a scammer, deadbeat, or idiot.

Too add to the overall great advice.
I have bought a few things on Gunbroker over the years. Usually stuff from small sellers (or older) selling hard to get items.
In general I use Gunborker to get a feel for what is the general over priced value of an item. If you track several auctions usually you can find roughly what is too much to pay for any given item.
For instance, Been watching 9mm and 38 special on Gunbroker recently. Obly messing wiht 500 or 1000 round cases. Going price for 9mm went from $420 a case during the panic to around $240-300 now then add anouther 30-40 for shipping so the price become $270 to $330. Based on when its popped up at some other retailers. Cases should be going for under $265 shipped before I would even think about buying. There are a few cases that have slipped thorugh for aroudn the $200 to 220 level. Wish I would have bid but likely if I had the price would have gone over that amount anyway. So with common stuff Gunbroker is a good way to find the slightly overpriced cost of items.
For specialty stuff it's more about how badly do you need it!

Cash talks! But from a distance, there is no such a thing as cash. Well, except for a USPS MO. I don't understand why there are folks here who think a seller should take a 3% bath when the buyer insists on paying with something that ain't cash.

It all comes down to feedback. Just like here. And a seller doesn't have to have 100's of positives for me to trust them enough to send a PO, just more than zero. I've been on both sides of the GB equation and have never had a problem...yet, I suppose.

I purchased a Dan Wesson Pointman in 38 Super on GB, first time user in 2020. Used USPS MO and bought from a private party. All good. As mentioned do your homework, use common sense and communication, plus spelling is key indicator . I'm now selling one that no one would buy on here ;) Think positive and gamble, the majority of society is good.:s0087:

It is a risk. Like all things that are a risk each has to make up their own mind "is this worth the risk". There are of course a lot of sales done this way that go fine. If all of them were bad no one would do it any more. Pretending like there is no risk because one went well is well, great but, is not how the world works. If the seller cashes the M/O and buyer never gets the item? The buyer can try to use the court system to get made whole but, will it be worth it? :s0092:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top