JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive just started useing gun broker this past week im used to paypal an ebay the way there set up but gun broker is alot different why does everyone want a money order shipped to them first ........? What im tryin to get at is has anyone been burnt sending the payment that way?

I've used a PMO many times and never a problem. When I sell, I ship after receipt of the PMO. When I buy, I do the same for the seller.

Ive just started useing gun broker this past week im used to paypal an ebay the way there set up but gun broker is alot different why does everyone want a money order shipped to them first ........? What im tryin to get at is has anyone been burnt sending the payment that way?
I avoid anyone who can't take a credit card.
And those that want to tack on 3% for the card, move to the back of of the line.
Works for me.

Check the sellers feedback. If they're a stand up person, the reviews should reflect that.
If they're a first time seller, I would be hesitant in sending them anything over hundred bucks.

Does gun broker back you up in anyway if a scam were to happen ?
Don't know....hope I never go there.
As stated above, look at the seller's rep, the cost of shipping and the payment methods accepted.
If they get high marks in all 3 areas, then you're GTG.
Some larger bricks and mortar shops use Gunbroker as their online storefront.
Northern Firearms in MN is an example of a top-notch family run shop in MN that also uses Gunbroker.
Northern Firearms always uses a photo of THE ACTUAL FIREARM that is up for sale.
Many, many sellers use a stock photo and do not take the time....this is very important when buying a wood stocked firearm.

If looking for an out of production firearm, Gunbroker is unequaled due to the sheer volume.
For in-production firearms, Gunbroker is not needed.

If looking for a deal on an in-production firearm, start a thread here and folks will help you find the best deal from a trusted seller.

You will find a lot of people tell you they have done this and it went fine. Now the truth is it's crap shoot. If the person you send the M/O to does not send the item, or you are not happy it's all on you. The seller may try to make it right. If they choose not to you are just out. So you look at the feed back, price of the item, and decide how much risk you are comfortable with. I personally will just not bother to buy from anyone who will not take a credit card. I have zero problem with them passing on the cost to me to use the credit card since they have to pay it. I think of it just like shipping charges. Figure it as part of the total cost. If I like the deal I buy.

I have bought and sold on Gunbroker as a private individual, I am not in the business of buying and selling firearms, I don't have the ability to accept credit card as payment. I have also bought and sold firearm related items on forums.
When I have sold a firearm on Gunbroker or through a forum advertisement/post, I require a Money Order payment prior to shipping the item. When I have bought a firearm on Gunbroker or through a forum advertisement/post, I have mailed a Money Order and the seller has shipped after receipt of payment.
As a buyer, you have to research the seller comments and ratings, see if the seller responds to your e-mail questions in a reasonable amount of time, maybe ask if they belong to a forum where they have sold firearms or related items if you have concerns, and then decide if the risk of sending the Money Order as payment prior to the seller shipping the item is worth the risk, because there is risk. Personally, I have never experienced a bad transaction on Gunbroker of through forums buying/selling, but I don't have hundreds of transactions under my belt either, maybe tens of transactions, but no negative experiences buying or selling.

I'm an untrusting person by nature. I don't use GB for that reason. If I can't find it here at NWFA or locally through a shop I don't need it! :)

I'm an untrusting person by nature. I don't use GB for that reason. If I can't find it here at NWFA or locally through a shop I don't need it! :)

Any online form of buying is as safe as how you pay. In the US we have some great protection with credit cards. Some times it's so good it gets abused. It's all in how you choose to pay. I have seen this same thing happen even with brick and mortar stores. Long ago there was a VERY mega appliance store here. I bought some stuff there. They had once or twice wanted me to pay for something not at "that store" but they would move it there in a day or so and deliver. I had no problem with this since I was paying with a credit card. Many were either paying by cash or check. I saw this and told the Wife on the way home they were taking a huge risk. She did not seem to believe me. Years later article in paper. This place went under. One day employee's showed up and the place is locked. Signs saying they are closed. People who had paid for stuff and not gotten it were left in limbo. Those who paid like me just had the bank give the money back to the card. Everyone else was told to get in line with all the other creditors who they owed money too. I showed that to the Wife and said this is what I was talking about.

I've only purchased 2 guns on BG. Both were in-state sellers who were happy to accept a personal check after I inspected the gun and we completed the Form 4 paperwork. Yes, they were title II weapons.

Happily bought and sold on GB with USPS money order's no problem. The USPS is the only entity who will stand by your transaction 100% so long as you follow their rules and their service charge is one-time, minimal and expected. There is no such credit card processor who will stand by the average person selling their gear on GB, hence the use of money orders. All of the major electronic funds middlemen who could serve the average users have specifically forbidden firearms related transactions over time in their service agreements, unless they're ignoring their own rules because of special agreements or conveniently looking the other way for larger businesses which is common.

You have to wait 30 days to file a dispute and you're only covered up to $500. PLUS there's a $100 "deductible".
Buyer Protection my butt!

In my case I bought a gun, never had a problem with a transfer before, but this one got delayed & Then denied-- I contacted the seller who had a 100% fee if you failed to transfer
of course I hadn't noticed the fee, likely because I had never failed to transfer prior to that:eek:
That sob tried to keep my gun and my money

The last one I bought the seller didn't ship,ignored my messages and then when I called said that they hadn't received the FFL. I had my LGS send it again. Again it didn't ship and they said they hadn't gotten the FFL. It went on like this for 28 days and then I posted an "F" review there saying that I'd be filing a fraud claim in 2 days. Suddenly they then found the license and shipped the gun. I think they actually didn't have it in stock at the time it was listed and they were scrambling to find one rather than fessing up and returning my money. Cured me of buying anything again on GB. Sucks for the honest individuals and shops that sell on there.

Happily bought and sold on GB with USPS money order's no problem. The USPS is the only entity who will stand by your transaction 100% so long as you follow their rules and their service charge is one-time, minimal and expected. There is no such credit card processor who will stand by the average person selling their gear on GB, hence the use of money orders. All of the major electronic funds middlemen who could serve the average users have specifically forbidden firearms related transactions over time in their service agreements, unless they're ignoring their own rules because of special agreements or conveniently looking the other way for larger businesses which is common.

It sounds like you are talking about a totally different side of this. Everyone to this point was I think talking about the buyer safety. As mentioned the scary part being if the seller either sends nothing, or sends something that was not what they were advertising. Hence the warning to look at he sellers feed back before taking this risk. Paying with a credit card no one can rip you off as a buyer in the US. Now the seller, that I know little about. I know that if I buy something and get something that is not what the seller claimed the bank will give me my money back. They require the seller to pay return shipping if they want the item back. Don't know how it goes beyond that. Like say if the buyer did not send the item back.
On the USPS MO's I have never used them. I have been told they are safe again for the seller as they can cash them at a Post Office instead of having to deposit them. I have also been told a lot that if the seller burns you as the buyer the Post Office does noting about it. That is the part that scares me away from buying anything with a USPS or any MO.

The last one I bought the seller didn't ship,ignored my messages and then when I called said that they hadn't received the FFL. I had my LGS send it again. Again it didn't ship and they said they hadn't gotten the FFL. It went on like this for 28 days and then I posted an "F" review there saying that I'd be filing a fraud claim in 2 days. Suddenly they then found the license and shipped the gun. I think they actually didn't have it in stock at the time it was listed and they were scrambling to find one rather than fessing up and returning my money. Cured me of buying anything again on GB. Sucks for the honest individuals and shops that sell on there.

It's a shame when someone does stuff like that. Back long ago when I wanted my first Sub2000 they were even then hard as hell to find in most places. Unknown to me Wife decided to get me one for birthday. LGS told her couple weeks no problem. They wanted half down which she gave them. 6 weeks later they are giving her the run around and she finally tells me what happened. She had signed a receipt saying no cash refund on orders. So I go down there to see what's up. Dealer tries to lay it off on Kel-Tec. Ranting about how they treat dealers like crap. I listened to this then said, "Kel-Tec will not sell to a dealer. They only sell to distributors. So who at KT is telling you different?". All of a sudden he wants to just refund my Wife the money she paid.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top