JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 6920 is the "standard" because people believe what they are told. There are plenty of good AR's out there that will last at least as long with the same reliability.

The 6920 is the "standard" because people believe what they are told. There are plenty of good AR's out there that will last at least as long with the same reliability.
When I say "standard", I mean that it is the median. There are hundreds of parts makers and gun makers. Some are better, some worst, and some at the same level.

Can't be too hard on someone for that. It's a gateway purchase like any other hobby. You buy something budget friendly to determine if you enjoy it (or in many cases what your spouse will let you spend) and then go from there. I'm a car guy and know tons of people who've started with modifying cheap cars that turns into a huge passion. Also, for some people building and learning about the gun is half the fun. I started with a Stag Arms AR and am currently adjusting and modifying it as I build one up from a stripped lower. Gave me a way to get to know the gun better, what I like, and what kind of changes I'll make in my next build. Yes, some of the parts will go to waste, but it's part of the fun process for me.
I've done this with every new hobby. Dip your toe in the water first.

I have the "Sport II", so likely the same. The only thing I did not like on it was the mil spec trigger. I got the Timney "Impact AR Trigger", about $150.

Also added a sling. I am now very happy with the gun. I have trouble believing that the extra money paid for the Colt would have been worth it for me.

Is the Colt stock trigger actually better than this Timney?

I have the "Sport II", so likely the same. The only thing I did not like on it was the mil spec trigger. I got the Timney "Impact AR Trigger", about $150.

Also added a sling. I am now very happy with the gun. I have trouble believing that the extra money paid for the Colt would have been worth it for me.

Is the Colt stock trigger actually better than this Timney?
No. The Colt stock trigger is just that. Stock. Nothing special or otherwise. I have one of their stock triggers in one of my builds (got it in a trade deal)......can't tell the difference from any other stock trigger. Well ok, PSA and BCA triggers tend to be a bit gritty, the Colt one isn't but it pulls and breaks the same.

People put Colt up on a pedestal, and I get the history as to why. But there are plenty of excellent manufacturers out there that make amazing rifles with spec tolerances way tighter than Colt. Really, there is nothing "special" about a Colt AR besides the Pony. Would I buy a Colt? For the right price, absolutely! Only so I could brag to my friends and lecture everyone around me that doesn't have one.

:D

People put Colt up on a pedestal, and I get the history as to why. But there are plenty of excellent manufacturers out there that make amazing rifles with spec tolerances way tighter than Colt. Really, there is absolutely nothing "special" about a Colt AR besides the Pony. Would I buy a Colt? For the right price, absolutely! Only so I could brag to my friends and lecture everyone around me that doesn't have one.

I like ARs and have bought/built several over the years, but I've never been willing to pony up the bucks for a Colt just to get the logo. Name aside, they are so boringly average. My 1911 isn't a Colt either. :)

It is the standard for a reliable, functional AR, costing about what that should. Without extensive knowldge of other options… it is the easy path to success.

I view Colt like this not because of 'what I was told' but through careful research and relatively wide experience with various manufacturers.

It is the standard for a reliable, functional AR, costing about what that should. Without extensive knowldge of other options… it is the easy path to success.

I view Colt like this not because of 'what I was told' but through careful research and relatively wide experience with various manufacturers.
So you have found that Colts are more reliable and last longer than other manufacturers? I'm talking BCM, DD, LWRC, YHM, LMT, Aero, etc.....

This article does a great job reviewing ARs, higher end to budget.

Colt is #7 on their list. The OPs Smith Sport is #6. :D

These guys consider the Colt only a mid-tier AR:

These guys don't even mention Colt, but the Smith is there:

My point? I don't think Colt is the "gold standard" as they once were viewed.

Last Edited:
People put Colt up on a pedestal, and I get the history as to why. But there are plenty of excellent manufacturers out there that make amazing rifles with spec tolerances way tighter than Colt. Really, there is nothing "special" about a Colt AR besides the Pony. Would I buy a Colt? For the right price, absolutely! Only so I could brag to my friends and lecture everyone around me that doesn't have one.

For Colt, the era of manufacture is a huge variable, Some years were dismal, the Expanse model being a prime example.

So you have found that Colts are more reliable and last longer than other manufacturers? I'm talking BCM, DD, LWRC, YHM, LMT, Aero, etc.....
i would expect that some of those are right up there with Colt as far as basic function/reliability, and Colts to do better in statistical aggregate when compared to YHM and Aero at least. So we have Colt, again, as the basic standard for a functional, reliable AR at a modest price point (at least compared to DD et al).

I don't think I would place Colt between Aero and CMMG like that second article does. But those articles are kinda "pop" gun press rather than something I would trust.

Standard deviation comes from the mean, not the median. There is no inherent relationship between SD and any "gold standard." It is entirely possible that everthing within 1.96 standard deviations from the mean is a complete pile of poo. Chrysler products from the 80s for instance.

Standard deviation comes from the mean, not the median. There is no inherent relationship between SD and any "gold standard." It is entirely possible that everthing within 1.96 standard deviations from the mean is a complete pile of poo. Chrysler products from the 80s for instance.
Either way, the 6920 isn't necessarily anything special. It's the standard, average or mean.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top