JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is the one. Of those 3 you mentioned the only one I'm lacking is upgraded trigger.
If your group size is good for you keep it. If you think you can improve your group size then get a new trigger. Nothing wrong with an expensive trigger on a $500ish rifle but not that you need to spend money.... IMO if it were me I would get an ALG ACT trigger, made by Geissele but very affordable and a nice crisp clean break (use the 4lb spring that comes with it) they are basically an improved milspec trigger (so all parts are interchangeable if needed in shtf) but with a polished sear. I have a $500ish rifle and think the ACT triggers are a perfect fit for a simple go to shtf rifle.... but this is subjective, everyones expectations are different here. Mine is a nice clean crisp break at 4.25lbs all for well under a 100.

If your group size is good for you keep it. If you think you can improve your group size then get a new trigger. Nothing wrong with an expensive trigger on a $500ish rifle but not that you need to spend money.... IMO if it were me I would get an ALG ACT trigger, made by Geissele but very affordable and a nice crisp clean break (use the 4lb spring that comes with it) they are basically an improved milspec trigger (so all parts are interchangeable if needed in shtf) but with a polished sear. I have a $500ish rifle and think the ACT triggers are a perfect fit for a simple go to shtf rifle.... but this is subjective, everyones expectations are different here. Mine is a nice clean crisp break at 4.25lbs all for well under a 100.

You can get a LaRue MBT for that price, and they're a much better trigger. The likelihood of it breaking is very low. The likelihood that you'll need it for a SHTF is very low. Lower than the odds of needing it for self-defense, which is already very low except for specific neighborhoods.

You can get a LaRue MBT for that price, and they're a much better trigger. The likelihood of it breaking is very low. The likelihood that you'll need it for a SHTF is very low. Lower than the odds of needing it for self-defense, which is already very low except for specific neighborhoods.
Thats a really nice 2 stage option in the same price range. I havent used 2 stages, are they worth it or just preference?
agree that the likelyhood of any trigger breaking is low and really not worth worrying about.

Thats a really nice 2 stage option in the same price range. I havent used 2 stages, are they worth it or just preference?
agree that the likelyhood of any trigger breaking is low and really not worth worrying about.
I like that the first stage is light enough that you can just blow right through it if you're in a hurry. You can even double tap with it. If you want to make a careful shot, the second stage is easy to feel, and now you just have 2 more pounds and a very short pull to get to the break. The break is clean and very consistent. Some folks just don't like them, and I get that, but I feel like everyone should try one out, shooting both fast and slow, and see what they think of it. For me, it definitely improves my precision shots and gives me confidence.

Some folks just don't like them, and I get that, but I feel like everyone should try one out, shooting both fast and slow, and see what they think of it. For me, it definitely improves my precision shots and gives me confidence.
I just havent had the chance to try one. All my hunting rifles are single stage so when I built my first AR I stuck with that to be consistent, but Ive always been curious. I always assumed the 2 stages were more expensive so its nice to see the LaRue option you shared.

Schmid Tool makes pefectly good two-stage triggers w/o breaking the bank. I have one in a S&W tactical model. PSA has them for not a lot of money; there is zero need to spend $200 on a trigger when you are just learning what you like.

These are often on sale even lower:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-2-stage-nickel-boron-trigger-assembly1.html

I have had 2 S&W Sport models in the past, a gen I and a Gen II. Currently I have a S&W tactical model, and a gen II Sport, and a gen I Sport upper I got from a member here I put on a built lower. Also have Colt, a Windham, and a custom built Rock River match gun now. I do not consider the Sport a junky AR as some would imply. They are solid and you can enjoy it.

Other than that, just choose an optic you like until you have a fair bit of shooting time with it.

I do not consider the Sport a junky AR as some would imply. They are solid and you can enjoy it.
Thats what I was thinking, I say upgrade the trigger and maybe then work on the new better rifle. The rifle you have right now is way better than the better one you dont.

6920 is the gold standard.
If I needed a new AR15 and had a month before I needed it I'd build it.

If I needed it in a week I'd do my research and buy what ever suits my fancy.

If I needed something I could rely on today I'd snag a 6920 or my preference a 6940.

FWIW the only bone stock AR (aside from red dot, light and a sling) I have is a Colt 6940.

All that said the S&W AR's have a good reputation for reliability and have had a good track record with many departments.

As a side I have been pleased with the ALG triggers for basic AR's.

Upgrading the upper is easy too, no need to buy a whole rifle.
That's one of the nifty things about AR's.
Of course then there's the lonely upper so you end up getting a stripped lower and so on.

BCM has deal on buy an upper get a BCG included at the moment.

Upgrading the upper is easy too, no need to buy a whole rifle.
That's one of the nifty things about AR's.
Of course then there's the lonely upper so you end up getting a stripped lower and so on.

BCM has deal on buy an upper get a BCG included at the moment.
This would be a great option thats in between upgrading and buying a new rifle.

But then one really needs that trigger upgrade.

And so it begins. I swear these things just reproduce themselves in the safe.

Like somebody said Colt 6920 is the standard.

Arms Unlimited usually has better than average prices in Colts and parts, and seem to get new shipments in more often than some other dealers.

Bravo company is also a solid option. If they are on sale, worth a look.

Like somebody said Colt 6920 is the standard.

Arms Unlimited usually has better than average prices in Colts and parts, and seem to get new shipments in more often than some other dealers.

Bravo company is also a solid option. If they are on sale, worth a look.
Free BCG from BCM with the purchase of a complete upper right now.

Too bad you made a "false savings" purchase and need to upgrade it at great cost. instead of just buying a Colt or similar quality weapon!
Can't be too hard on someone for that. It's a gateway purchase like any other hobby. You buy something budget friendly to determine if you enjoy it (or in many cases what your spouse will let you spend) and then go from there. I'm a car guy and know tons of people who've started with modifying cheap cars that turns into a huge passion. Also, for some people building and learning about the gun is half the fun. I started with a Stag Arms AR and am currently adjusting and modifying it as I build one up from a stripped lower. Gave me a way to get to know the gun better, what I like, and what kind of changes I'll make in my next build. Yes, some of the parts will go to waste, but it's part of the fun process for me.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top