JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
ZeroRing said;
I guess I am fuzzy as to what the original reason was that prompted the change in the first place?

...threads being hijacked, off-topic posts in the classified thread, and arguments over prices.

The OP can still update their listing. Just use the edit function.

ZeroRing said;
I guess I am fuzzy as to what the original reason was that prompted the change in the first place?

...threads being hijacked, off-topic posts in the classified thread, and arguments over prices.

The OP can still update their listing. Just use the edit function.

So have the mods delete the off topic posts... problem solved...

I'm a mod of two forums on another board, and that's always worked well...

This current set of rules seems to not be going over well with alot of members. It seems as though everyone is being punished for the wrong/impolite actions of a small group. It would be more logical to warn and punish those violators than all of the NWF group. IMHO.

Most here at NWF appear to be polite and reasonably people who just want to make this community work as well as it can. As this site is somewhat new there are bound to be some growing pains, but with a little work and compromise we will make it the "Best in the West". :s0159:

Also here is a "sticky" post borrowed from another forum and these rules seem to be working with very minor imput from the mods.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO MORE COMMENTS ON ADS PLEASE

Let's please knock off the comments on sale ads. This includes salivating "If I only had the money, drooooooooool" replies etc.

And any replies that denigrate the seller or his prices.

The market sets the price.

Violators will be suspended.

So have the mods delete the off topic posts... problem solved...

I'm a mod of two forums on another board, and that's always worked well...

The problem is, it's got so out of hand we spend most of our time there. So to end the problem, we decided to do things this way.

After awhile we may decide to go back...but for now we're going to do things this way.

I also moderate on m1911.org, that has over 30K members. It was getting that way there as well, so we did the same thing. M4carbine.net also does the same thing.

I have several things for sale now in one post, have got many PM's about the items, and have no problem keeping up with it.

Like I said, just edit your post to show things have sold, like I've done with mine, and life goes on.

Gotta say hate the idea. I know things may get a little "clogged" but thats the fun of it. It is now much harder to buy or sell something, even with all the "clog" it was easier(and more fun) to read. Go back to normal.

Let's give the new system a little time and see how it works.

As Wichaka said, the classifieds were consuming an ever increasing amount of time to manage and we thought this was the best way to handle that.

This type of system does work elsewhere, so it's not an impossible situation. However, some good points have been raised and we'll take those into consideration as we continue to evaluate this.

Let's give the new system a little time and see how it works.

As Wichaka said, the classifieds were consuming an ever increasing amount of time to manage and we thought this was the best way to handle that.

This type of system does work elsewhere, so it's not an impossible situation. However, some good points have been raised and we'll take those into consideration as we continue to evaluate this.

I would suggest "suspending" the prohibition on one bump per week then for classifieds. If someone is really monitoring their ads (as has been suggested that they should be) then I would allow them to bump it whenever they feel it is getting too far down in the list of "new" posts.

Like I've mentioned earlier, if it's not a one or two day old ad... it WILL be missed by a lot of people. ESPECIALLY if it's not a really popular item.

:s0159:

I would suggest "suspending" the prohibition on one bump per week then for classifieds. If someone is really monitoring their ads (as has been suggested that they should be) then I would allow them to bump it whenever they feel it is getting too far down in the list of "new" posts.

Like I've mentioned earlier, if it's not a one or two day old ad... it WILL be missed by a lot of people. ESPECIALLY if it's not a really popular item.

:s0159:

Eh... but doing that would flood my "New Posts" section with WTS only...

Granted, I really like the classifieds, but... ey... time to go bump my own WTB...

Obviously the members feel different than the staff. Fortunately, forums are like condoms. They make several to fit different members! I dont think this one fits me.

Obviously the members feel different than the staff. Fortunately, forums are like condoms. They make several to fit different members! I dont think this one fits me.

Hmmm... perhaps a "poll" is in order here?? I'll leave it to the mods to decide whether or not to do one though. :s0131:

I feel like the guy that came out of the cave years after WWII ended and started shooting at the cars on the freeway, or something.

Even PM'd The Linkage about whazzup. :huh: Didn't know there was a "problem" about posting in the classifieds, even. Until I couldn't, yesterday.

If there's going to be a vote I guess we'll be advised- my preference is that members be able to post "I'll take it" or ask questions.

This other (current) way seems wierd, especially since there's no time-stamp that people can see to establish who called on something first.

Oh well life goes on.

I responded to a WTS listing via private message. No reply so I can't even tell if it went through.

Then I responded via email about the private message. No reply so I can't even tell if THAT went through.

The thread has not been locked, so I don't know if he is out of town or called up for Afganistan!

I MISS the banter on the want ads under the old system. Off-topic or useless post, so what? It did not take up much server space. If a couple of jerks annoy somebody just warn them off---private messaging is EASY. Everybody can skip over "useless" posts anyway and nobody bleeds.

We really had something nice here. The Mods have not really explained how it bothered them and why the change was needed.........................elsullo :huh:

It also allows highest bidder gouging. No more first come first served here.....

Considering the property belongs to the seller, they have the right to sell it to whoever they wish, otherwise you have sales enforced through threat of ban due to "not following protocol". Just because a protocol is tradition doesn't mean it should be followed by everyone that comes after the protocol was "established". I prefer the new setup, as it cleans up the For Sale items to only the pertinent info. The seller can add posts to update any info they forgot on the item, and the pertinent info is all any buyer should care about.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top