JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few thoughts...don't think it is against the law to give a bad reference; it does however open the former employer up for a lawsuit for slander or whatever, so most won't give anything besides employment verification dates and maybe titles. The one question most smart employers will ask a former employer is whether the employee could be rehired. When the answer is NO, they don't have to give a bad reference because the one word conveys volumes. As for returning to a company...you don't have to return to get screwed. People move to other companies and usually have long memories. You could be trying to get on with a totally new company, even in a new city, and have your resume reviewed by someone from your former employer. The smaller the industry, the more likely this will happen.

Final thought about notice...even if the management was the worst in the world, do you really want to lower yourself to their level? Give notice, it's the right thing to do.

Update: this morning I gave notice that today was going to be my last day. Word spread pretty quickly. CEO wanted to chat to try to stop me, and I essentially told him I've said all I have to say. My boss (Vice President) emailed me asking if I want to talk before end of day.

I didn't respond. He came out of the CEO's office later that day and stopped by my cube and asked if I wanted to talk. I told him I was good. This was in front of all my colleauges, who applauded me. All day I received emails and IM's about how they (company management) have no idea how adversely this is going to affect them. They underestimate how easy it will be to replace me and my skill set. My colleagues stopped by and emailed in droves with compliments, noting they know that I've been carrying the workload for others in the company and the piss poor management I have to deal with.

I gave honest answers in my exit interview with the HR director. I rated my boss (the VP) very poorly. I told her that although I'm sure I'm not elligible for rehire for not giving more notice, I have no intention of ever returning. With my resume, and skillsets, I have my pick of plenty of other opportunities and wouldn't waste anymore of my time working for a company with such poor management and hopelessly lost management.

We are all just like the proverbial fist in a bucket of water when it comes to quitting time.
Believing otherwise is self delusion.

Engineering/Project Management/Sales great salary and bonuses.
Someone moved my cheese, I left and the hole filled in nicely after me :)

Attaboy!!

They always whip the horse that pulls the hardest.

Like I said treat em w the same amount of respect that they gave you.

Can they fill that position w someone else who might do as good a job, maybe. But at least YOU don't have to put up w that crap anymore, life's too short.

Good luck.

Did I say attatboy yet?

Attaboy!!

They always whip the horse that pulls the hardest.

Like I said treat em w the same amount of respect that they gave you.

Can they fill that position w someone else who might do as good a job, maybe. But at least YOU don't have to put up w that crap anymore, life's too short.

Good luck.

Did I say attatboy yet?

Thanks! Yeah, I gave the company the same respect they showed me. I'm sure they can get CLOSE to replacing me...eventually. Most of the people they try to hire, a few levels below me, it takes roughly 9 to 14 months to find someone BARELY acceptable. Pay is market rate too. It's just that the job, the projects are complex and few people qualify.

Which is probably why we go through so many project managers/sales people. They can't wrap their head around it, and we usually have to type what they should tell the client for project status FOR them, because they just don't understand. After a while they move on/get moved on. And we replace them within a week. But some of our actual resources, the ones who do the work. They are very difficult to replace. I've worked with some talented people. Really talented.

Engineering/Project Management/Sales great salary and bonuses.
Someone moved my cheese, I left and the hole filled in nicely after me :)

That's kind of like being the receptionist, the office administrator, and the janitor; if your role is that diverse, it's no surprise it's so easy to fill; low expectations for each role, they just need ONE body to do all three, a little here, a little there.

Specialize my friend, specialize. Don't see a lot of people saying "I'm a Dr./Attorney/Navy SEAL lol

But don't worry, I never delude myself thinking I'm irreplaceable. It's mostly my colleagues opinions. While there is some truth to it. They will eventually get hoping along.

I guess it depends on your line of work. Low level factory worker, retail, sure.

In my profession, my company....it took years to fill positions. High paying positions.

I do commend you on leaving and I have always been a fan of moving on and seemingly burning bridges.Just kinda works out that way some times.
Besides,employers know to weigh a recommendation with a grain of salt. Everyone is different about employees leaving.

But 308 is right,doesn't matter how good you think you were,the water will eventually stop moving and life will go on.
Hey they may need to go nation wide to replace you,but they will and all the ripples will be gone

And good luck at your new job!

That is a question a boy would ask, not a man. And quite frankly if you have to ask, you'll never know.

That said, seems you were hell bent on walking out on them, so why did you even post this thread?

Sounds like an angry boss to me. Getting tired of your people leaving you?
Must be a dirt foreman or something. Nothing that takes must smarts with a statement like that.
BTW why did you bother stopping in?

Sounds like an angry boss to me. Getting tired of your people leaving you?
Must be a dirt foreman or something. Nothing that takes must smarts with a statement like that.
BTW why did you bother stopping in?

You're wrong on all counts. But if I were someone's boss, I sure as hell wouldn't make the same mistakes I've been subjected to over my career. However, I stand by what I said 100%. A man doesn't walk out in a huff even if the boss is a jack-***.

Hey Ironbar, weren't you on here in the last 12-15 months b_tching about how you couldn't get hired anywhere? I didn't really want to hear about it, but I didn't say anything to you. I figured the reason no one was hiring you, well, was because of your "great" attitude toward others.

Your always dogging on people's post's. I don't really get it, care to enlighten us on your "dick move(s)"?

Oh, please turn in your man card on the way out the door!

Two weeks notice would the acceptable way to leave a decent job that you had no particular problems with. I would always "prorate" that period by how I had been treated at that company. There can come a time when that's it, can't take anymore! I personally have a pretty low threshold for employer crAp! The company wants your loyalty as an employee but most of them have the loyalty of a reptile when you could use a little! Ahhhh! Retirement is the Bomb!!!

PS: Before I get ragged on by some of the "be a man, two weekers" I want to state that I did my level best to be an excellent employee. I arrived early, did more than was expected and treated those under me with courtesy and respect. I was not a work floor lawyer or commie organizer but I'm not shy or timid either. So yes, I'm a man and length of notice has squat to do with it!

Last Edited:
Hey Ironbar, weren't you on here in the last 12-15 months b_tching about how you couldn't get hired anywhere? I didn't really want to hear about it, but I didn't say anything to you. I figured the reason no one was hiring you, well, was because of your "great" attitude toward others.

Your always dogging on people's post's. I don't really get it, care to enlighten us on your "dick move(s)"?

Oh, please turn in your man card on the way out the door!

Tell you what, if you can come up with a cogent argument of how one relates to the other, then I'll come up with an equally cogent answer. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a very long time.

You're wrong on all counts. But if I were someone's boss, I sure as hell wouldn't make the same mistakes I've been subjected to over my career. However, I stand by what I said 100%. A man doesn't walk out in a huff even if the boss is a jack-***.

I make six figures and paid cash for my house. I don't give a flying monkey butt WHAT you think makes a man. You don't make the rules for "being a man". I got to where I am by standing up for myself and working hard, and not putting up with crap. If the problem wasn't fixed when my grievance was communicated, I consider that disloyalty. I treat people with the same courtesy they give me.

If your interpretation of being a man is being a doormat, then I guess I see why it took you 12 months to find work. I guess low level jobs have a high unemployment rate.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top