JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do commend you on leaving and I have always been a fan of moving on and seemingly burning bridges.Just kinda works out that way some times.
Besides,employers know to weigh a recommendation with a grain of salt. Everyone is different about employees leaving.

But 308 is right,doesn't matter how good you think you were,the water will eventually stop moving and life will go on.
Hey they may need to go nation wide to replace you,but they will and all the ripples will be gone

And good luck at your new job!

Thank you. There has been a mass exodus lately. Four other people left in the last two weeks. Two of them, including me and another colleague (from another department), this week.

Most gave no notice....And this doesn't count all the people who have been leaving in droves in the past few months! From many departments. There is a huge problem at this company, the worst of it in my department. Courtesy of my new manager (VP) (he's been there 10 months).

Come to think of it, I've never gone back to any employer I ever left. Generally there was a reason I left that employer, be it salary, benefits, or poor management. Why would I ever go back? Always move forward in career, not backward...Furthermore, I have to agree, I think employers take feedback with a grain of salt. If you've been in the workforce for a while, you know the "I'm looking for better opportunities" response to the question of why you are looking for a new job is BS most of the time. People don't leave jobs they are happy at, in general. When I interview people, I know that there is something about their job that is making them want to look elsewhere, and it isn't because they are paid too much or are treated too well...

And like I said, it's my COLLEAGUES who have been emailing and IM'ing and emailing me about how management is not aware of how difficult it will be to replace me. I always tell them it won't matter, they'll find someone eventually. I'm talented, not to toot my own horn, but I'm not delusional enough to think I'm the only one on Earth who can do what I do. It will take them about a year give or take to find someone at my level. That's historically how long it's taken them in the past. Until then however, they will have some struggles to get things accomplished.

As others have said, there is no requirement in WA State to give two weeks notice. It is generally done as a "gentleman's agreement".

If you never feel that you'll cross paths with the boss or that they cannot negatively influence your career or opportunities, then I'd say it is no big deal. It is also a plus if your coworkers were supportive, in that if you cross paths with them in the future it likely won't be a negative experience or influence.

Do your best to quickly put it behind you. I've been there myself. Hopefully you will assume a "who cares" attitude quickly, move on, and stay in touch with the desired people.

Peter

About 6 months ago, I had an employee tell me that he would be leaving at the end of September. The time was mid August.
Being a small operation, loosing one person is a big deal. Had I been smart about the situation, I would have shown him the door right then and washed my hands of him.
However, I needed to hire 2 people to replace him, so began that process. I was able to find 2 people who were qualified and got to training them on our machines and processes.
The worst part of it was, the guy that was leaving was a friend. In the month that he "helped" me get my new people up to speed, he did more damage to the company that I could have imagined.
Most of it I found out about after the fact.
So, if anyone ever gives me their 2 week notice.....out the door they go, same day. I, as an employer, am under no obligation to honor a 2 week notice. Just as an employee is under no obligation to actually provide a 2 week notice.
I don't need the hassel or the issues.
And while it always seemed like giving a 2 week notice was "the right thing" to do, I don't believe so anymore.

As an aside, here is one more tidbit about WA State laws. There is NO requirement for an employer in WA State to payout your vacation/PTO bank. I checked with the State after leaving an employer and losing three weeks of banked PTO in 2004.

Most employers do it, but make a mental note that they are not legally required to pay out your banked vacation/PTO time. So check their policy before you resign, and then plan accordingly...

Peter

It's amazing how many people chimed in with their opinions only knowing OP's side of the story. Please note, he did not want to talk to management when asked by several of his bosses.

I am assuming you are in the IT world? Good luck with your new job, a lot of IT professionals are unemployed, they are dime a dozen.

It's amazing how many people chimed in with their opinions only knowing OP's side of the story. Please note, he did not want to talk to management when asked by several of his bosses.

I am assuming you are in the IT world? Good luck with your new job, a lot of IT professionals are unemployed, they are dime a dozen.

Spoken like a clueless manager who treats employees like they are a dime a dozen. Apparently you lack reading comprehension, I said I accepted another offer...one out of four. If you really think IT folks are a dime a dozen, and unemployed, you have NO clue what you are talking about. I've haven't heard such an asinine statement in a while.

I declined to speak with management because I've discussed the issues with them twice before. Others have as well. Nothing changed. They threw more money at me. But the reasons I wanted to leave still existed even though they said they would fix them, but never did. So why would I waste more time having them try to talk me into staying? I had already accepted another offer and accepting more money/counter offer, as it turns out, IS the wrong thing to do. I won't ever do it again, because as statistics show, most people end up leaving for the same reasons they wanted to originally, in less than a year after they accept a counter offer.

But go ahead and keep deluding yourself with your 'you will be unemployed you are a dime a dozen' and 'note the OP declined to talk to management' drivel. You have absolutely NO clue what you are talking about. It takes us roughly a year to find qualified candidates for six figure positions. Guess your 'dime a dozen' theory just went out the window. But keep bumping your gums

How is any of this anything that anyone would want to post to a largely anonymous online "community?" Fellas, it's time to log off and interact with breathing, visible, and consequential human beings. Only my self-serving opinion, and yes, I am guilty of reading it and being hypocritical.

How is any of this anything that anyone would want to post to a largely anonymous online "community?" Fellas, it's time to log off and interact with breathing, visible, and consequential human beings. Only my self-serving opinion, and yes, I am guilty of reading it and being hypocritical.

Better said than my post so I deleted! Well written!

I've rarely given 2 weeks notice to any employer. There are reasons I'm leaving - I usually try to tough it out but once enough is enough - it's enough and I'm done. The rare occasions I've given 2+ weeks notice I'm quitting, I've been told to leave and not come back on the spot. I had a manager once tell me to f myself when I called him for assistance. I said OK. I finished the job I was working on, swung by the house and collected all my uniforms and issued gear, went back to the office and left everything in a pile on the reception counter along with pager and keys. Got a phone call the next morning asking what the deal was and asking if we could talk and work things out. My response was a simple "No." I had a new job on the same field 4 days later. The longest stretch I've ever been unemployed has been about two months, and that was last year. I got laid off a couple days after my wife was hospitalized and had to have her gall bladder removed. That sucked a fat one - we burned up most of our savings - but we got through it. A month into the unemployment, I found a job. I was hired as a "customer service" rep - turned out they wanted high pressure telemarketers. I walked off that job because the employer was super shady, and the bosses kept pushing the employees to push customers harder for credit card info. I don't do high pressure sales. Three weeks later I started one of my current jobs, and I've been working part time for the employer who laid me off a year ago, and will probably be going back to full time work for him within another month or so. I'm also starting to ramp up my own small business - doing what I can on my time "off." If you're motivated, you'll bounce back, find new work, or find your own way to make money.

Sounds like the OP made the right call - congrats on the career move.

It is common courtesy to give an employer two weeks notice. However, if you have another job to go to then you can give as much or little notice as you wish. Don't burn any bridges if you want to get a letter of recommendation.

An employer doesn't need to give you any notice, they can just let you go.

Hope that this helps!
why isn't it good for the goose if it's not ok for the gander

I am happy for you that you don't have to work in that environment any longer, especially since you had previously voiced your grievances with no satisfaction. I was in a similar situation with a previous employer after my complaints were ignored, and my job became more of a living hell as a result. I didn't feel the least bit guilty for not giving any notice, and would do the same thing again if the situation warrented (only faster so I wouldn't have to put up with the BS!)

Spoken like a clueless manager who treats employees like they are a dime a dozen. Apparently you lack reading comprehension, I said I accepted another offer...one out of four. If you really think IT folks are a dime a dozen, and unemployed, you have NO clue what you are talking about. I've haven't heard such an asinine statement in a while.

I declined to speak with management because I've discussed the issues with them twice before. Others have as well. Nothing changed. They threw more money at me. But the reasons I wanted to leave still existed even though they said they would fix them, but never did. So why would I waste more time having them try to talk me into staying? I had already accepted another offer and accepting more money/counter offer, as it turns out, IS the wrong thing to do. I won't ever do it again, because as statistics show, most people end up leaving for the same reasons they wanted to originally, in less than a year after they accept a counter offer.

But go ahead and keep deluding yourself with your 'you will be unemployed you are a dime a dozen' and 'note the OP declined to talk to management' drivel. You have absolutely NO clue what you are talking about. It takes us roughly a year to find qualified candidates for six figure positions. Guess your 'dime a dozen' theory just went out the window. But keep bumping your gums

Again, only your side of the story, just like another "he said, she said". You claim you're making six figures, so quit the whining, move on along, and quit justifying yourself at a gun board. We all believe you, just to make you feel more manly.

I find it screwed up, if a company wants to cut you, no notice good bye your gone no warning, but boy you want to cut free from your job, oh by god you best better give two week notice!
I find that bias it's ok for them but not for you. That's f'd up. Oregon is a state where it's a "right to work" state but still if you don't give notice your bad guy.

Awesome!
That's how it should be. You got the skills, the knowledge and what most people would call balls. I however think the balls part most referee to is common sense and ethicist.
And why should I (or anybody else...) give two Weeks notice?!
Would your employer tell you two weeks in advance that you will get laid off..?

Well done and good future with better job!

My last job, I came back from my week of vacation, and the owner's wife (who runs the office) met me in the parking lot and fired me before I even entered the building. They simply told me "my services were no longer required". I'll never know why it happened as there was no incident leading up to my vacation or any kind of warnings or counseling of any kind- just got clipped out of nowhere. That's how it works for employers. It's stupid if you don't give notice some employers may think that reflects poorly on you- but if they're concerned you might bail and leave them hanging, when they're thinking about hiring you, are you really gonna get that job? Probably not. That's like hooking up with someone cheating on their spouse, after that falls apart and you get together, being shocked that they then cheat on you...To my last employers credit all they've told anyone that's called is my services were no longer required. Also it was a perfectly executed blindside because all of my friends there didn't even know or were too spineless to warn me...Ok I'm done. Sorry about the rant

I work for a high tech company and they made it very clear that they were an "at will" company. They can fire you without notice and without reason. The opposite is also true. Employees can quit without notice and without reason. I've always found it interesting that company gets upset when employees walk out but when they lay off 2% it's just business. I hate the term 'human resource'. I'm not a resource like the copier, I'm a human dammit. Treat me like one.

Like a lot of people Id like to think of my own self-worth along the lines of "this place will fall apart without me" Unfortunately 99% of the time this is false- companies just move on, maybe they have struggles, but by and large the loss of any one person is really not a big deal to a larger business. From the OP's perspective it sounds like where he bailed was a pretty crap place to work and its probably better for both parties he's gone. He doesn't have to work in a toxic environment anymore, and they no longer have a disgruntled employee looking for the closest door. Best of luck to you dude

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top