JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is good stuff.

Im glad that you could swallow your pride and post this here for us. Always an important reminder that ND can happen any time and can have severe consequences.

Ive had my kids read your original post too.

Invaluable. Thank you.
Glad it was worth reading. And my mom, were she still with us, would likely comment, with a wry smile on her face, that the only way I ended up being a good example for young kids was by putting a 9mm home through my own ankle. :)

Too bad. I totally get the hog problem. They've torn up vast tracks of my father in law's land. When I'm out I carry a 10mm with me and shoot them if I see them. It's pretty much open season on the things but they still continue to grow in numbers. As for the armadillos, I knew about the leprosy issue. Even though they're magnetically attracted to car tires, they're still everywhere down there. Luckily up in the Pacific NW we don't have all the poisonous and dangerous critters I had to deal with back when I lived in Texas. Good hearing from you.

Texas Man Learns the Hard Way: When You Shoot an Armadillo, Bring Enough Gun - AllOutdoor.com

PCR is what I carry, now I know not to use underwood thanks for the test results
I'm not sure why you'd say that. The bullet is designed to penetrate hard barriers AND cause massive soft tissue wound channels. I shot myself in a part of my body with NO soft tissue, so the bullet did exactly what it's designed to do and went straight through two large bones, fracturing them At their juncture as it exited. If the bullet had hit me in the abdomen, chest, or even a leg, I have no doubt it would have created the kind of massive wound cavity it's been proven to create in ballistic gelatin tests. It's maybe the only round that has proven to have almost identical levels of penetration and massive wound channel creation over multiple rounds fired and met the FBI standards while doing so. Just don't shoot yourself with it and you'll be fine.

I hate to admit it, but I did pretty much the same thing (negligent misfire) with a .22 Magnum Hornady Critical Defense. Fortunately, it only cost me a portion of my big toe on my left foot.'

I hope you continue to heal well. It takes some time.

I've posted my ND here before, it was when I was turning in my AR once in the Army. We always carried them loaded. Neither the armorer nor I did what we were supposed to do. I'd pulled the full mag out, didn't clear the chamber. Armor didn't clear the chamber just pulled the trigger. Fortunately he was pointing it up into a concrete ceiling, which left a spalled cone shaped crater @ 12" across, 2" deep and both of our ears ringing. AND we were both very experienced at that stage of the game. I'm still so careful.

Glad it wasn't worse for you, and appreciate you sharing. Heal up!

I've posted my ND here before, it was when I was turning in my AR once in the Army. We always carried them loaded. Neither the armorer nor I did what we were supposed to do. I'd pulled the full mag out, didn't clear the chamber. Armor didn't clear the chamber just pulled the trigger. Fortunately he was pointing it up into a concrete ceiling, which left a spalled cone shaped crater @ 12" across, 2" deep and both of our ears ringing. AND we were both very experienced at that stage of the game. I'm still so careful.

Glad it wasn't worse for you, and appreciate you sharing. Heal up!
I hated annual qualifying in the Air Force. I always ended up on the range with people who I KNOW had never handled a gun before in their lives. It was the only time I wished I'd joined the Army or the Marines where the people at least would know which end of the AR to point at the target.

Ow. I didn't lose anything except my pride.

I lost a goodly portion of the also. Particularly because at the time it occurred, I was supposed to be teaching gun safety to my wife's 10-year old son who had been raised without any type of "father figure."

We were +/- 30-miles outside of town in the middle of nowhere when I pulled my little stunt. I made for a rather hasty departure and equally exciting drive back as my boot gradually filled with blood.

Seeing the pictures you posted brought the whole wonderful experience vividly back into memory.

I lost a goodly portion of the also. Particularly because at the time it occurred, I was supposed to be teaching gun safety to my wife's 10-year old son who had been raised without any type of "father figure."

OH SH!!!T. :confused:

Edit: And how is the boy doing now?

Thank you for asking.

The incident we're referring to occurred over 10-years ago. So, I've had the opportunity to be part of his maturation process from 10-years old (actually +/- 8-yrs old when I first met his mother) on through into his early 20's. He appears to have benefited significantly from being raised in a "traditional family" environment, as I assume anyone would. He's never been in any type of trouble (ever) and he has developed an extremely positive attitude towards working hard for what he wants. So much so that he recently purchased his first home at an age (21-yrs old), several years younger than I possibly could have. Which obviously makes me extremely proud.

As a side note: his house warming gifts were a Ruger AR-556 and a Ruger American pistol (.45acp), along with enough ammo for him to become proficient with both. Bonus, it gets us to spend more "quality" time together.

Thank you for asking.

The incident we're referring to occurred over 10-years ago. So, I've had the opportunity to be part of his maturation process from 10-years old (actually +/- 8-yrs old when I first met his mother) on through into his early 20's. He appears to have benefited significantly from being raised in a "traditional family" environment, as I assume anyone would. He's never been in any type of trouble (ever) and he has developed an extremely positive attitude towards working hard for what he wants. So much so that he recently purchased his first home at an age (21-yrs old), several years younger than I possibly could have. Which obviously makes me extremely proud.

As a side note: his house warming gifts were a Ruger AR-556 and a Ruger American pistol (.45acp), along with enough ammo for him to become proficient with both. Bonus, it gets us to spend more "quality" time together.
That's a great story. I didn't have kids in my first marriage, luckily I think given who their mom would have been. But when I married Ruth, my wife now, I inherited her three kids, ages 10, 12, and 14. My friends loved Ruth, but thought I had seriously lost my mind, since this was only a little over a year after a pretty traumatic divorce. Well, that was 22 years ago. My three step kids were maybe the best thing life ever gave me except for my wife, who married me knowing that I had zero experience with kids. I've had the great privilege of watching them grow into exceptional men and women and start their own careers and families. My two grandkids, 8 and 2, are the light of our lives. Even a disaster like that can have some benefit later on. Thanks for sharing. That made my day.

FWIW, I didn't shoot my foot - I just dropped a 350# dirt bike on while showing off popping a wheelie - in traffic. I held up traffic at a 4 way intersection for about half an hour. :oops: Oh, and I crushed my foot too - had to be surgically reconstructed - had pins coming out of it (grossed out the ladies at the office when I went back to work after a week off), 6 weeks on crutches, several more months walking with a cane, took a year where I was walking without pain. To this day, 23+ years later, it still hurts a bit, especially if I bang it into something.

When some punk shows off their tattoos, all proud and everything, I say "that's nothing" and show them my $7000 'tattoos' on my foot as proof that I can be supremely stupid too.:D

When some punk shows off their tattoos, all proud and everything, I say "that's nothing" and show them my $7000 'tattoos' on my foot as proof that I can be supremely stupid too.:D

My wife had complete reconstruction of her ankle due to a congenital condition. Still recovering after almost five months and they said it would be a year for it to be completely resolved. She looked like they tried to filet her foot from four directions after surgery. She has some serious screws holding everything together. Same ankle as mine, so we were both hobbling around together for a couple of months. Here's her x-ray. 9659090F-702E-4BED-B695-53F630EE0FB6.jpeg

Better now. That was about ten weeks ago. But yeah, maybe if you get shot in combat and know you need to keep going or die it might not hurt. But in the bedroom with nobody else but me there, it hurt like hell.

Hobo spiders have not learned to shoot yet. They do have that whole disconcerting "Run and Jump at ya" thing working pretty good though if you confront them abruptly. Brown Recluse are gentlemen in comparison (I've eyeballed one directly from a few feet away as well). Also jus' sayin'

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews