JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Agreed. I just checked on one person I suspected Trism is referencing, and is now baned. Over 120 transactions within the last 12 months. That opportunity is now lost by that individual, and thats a big loss that the extra bumps certainly weren't worth. I think most people make the bump mistake once, as they/me really don't read every bit of the classified rules, but once scolded/notified , don't do it again. 99.9% aren't looking for a way around the system imo.

What is amazing is that these small numbers of "gamers" who like to skirt the rules all seem to get extremely offended when called on it. They seem to think that the rules are for the little people and somehow don't apply to them.

When they are able to make as many transactions here as they do, is it REALLY that hard to do it within the rules??? :s0054:

It's unfortunate that we have to resort to temp/perma banning them but if we don't have SOME form of consequences to their not following the rules then the rules are not fairly enforced and THAT is simply not acceptable here.

Your IP address for one. vBulletin is great for that. You can try to fake it.. but it don't work. Two accounts, from same IP, one bumping anothers account. Yup, it's obvious on the back end.

vB tracks IP addresses all right. Ever used a public WiFi service to access a vB powered forum? Depending how the NAT on the WiFi router is set up, your user ID will log the same IP as anyone else connected to the same WiFi service. I've been in neighborhoods, condos, resorts, etc. that all share the same WiFi access... as long as nobody has a common interest, it's one user to a forum. But... as soon as, say, a bunch of folks on a cruise all visit CruiseCritic during their cruise, they all log the same IP. Now let's say a few of those cruising forum members show the great discussion site to a few friends who decide to register and post themselves... presto! Instant "legitimate user who appears to be a sock puppet"...

Also, while open anonymous proxy servers are becoming harder to find, they still exist. vB doesn't pick those up so hot.

Moderation really does require the human element at times... and yes, I've modded several vB boards, and "been around the block" a few hundred times...

-Case

vB tracks IP addresses all right. Ever used a public WiFi service to access a vB powered forum? Depending how the NAT on the WiFi router is set up, your user ID will log the same IP as anyone else connected to the same WiFi service. I've been in neighborhoods, condos, resorts, etc. that all share the same WiFi access... as long as nobody has a common interest, it's one user to a forum. But... as soon as, say, a bunch of folks on a cruise all visit CruiseCritic during their cruise, they all log the same IP. Now let's say a few of those cruising forum members show the great discussion site to a few friends who decide to register and post themselves... presto! Instant "legitimate user who appears to be a sock puppet"...

Also, while open anonymous proxy servers are becoming harder to find, they still exist. vB doesn't pick those up so hot.

Moderation really does require the human element at times... and yes, I've modded several vB boards, and "been around the block" a few hundred times...

-Case

IP's are not the only tool in my Box. :s0155: Proxies in themselves can be a big clue to a sock puppet account.

IP's are not the only tool in my Box. :s0155: Proxies in themselves can be a big clue to a sock puppet account.

Are you saying you have a big box, or that you're a tool? Oh... errr... nevermind! :p

Ironically enough, I originally learned of the concept of a sock puppet in a marketing seminar... the presenter was pitching their new vB forum site and soliciting paid advertisers... depending on the level of "sponsorship", a business would be allowed a given number of puppet "customer" accounts to write glowing testimonials. The mods there had a hard time with me when they discovered that, 1) I wasn't a paid sponsor and, 2) my glowing testimonials were from real, verified users not puppets, and 3) I was getting more business honestly than the paid puppeteers I was competing with...

Anyway, back on point... don't be a puppet-head... it's not worth the ban (and it just makes you look silly!)

-Case

i'm a little off the subject but what about combinig adds so the person with 7 rifles doesn't bump half a page when he does each rifle as a sepperate add:confused: i'm new and don't want to step on anyones toes it's just a observasion.:s0131:

OK guys this is starting to be a regular problem again so please read the original post below. Chances are if someone tries to be sneaky they are going to get caught.

Believe it or not we don't like to hand out these 7 day bans so please be courteous and observe the 7 day bump rules.

Everyone here observes the same bump rules including Joey Link, the Mods and the Supporting Vendors so it is fair to everyone.

The sockpuppets Ad bump accounts are out of control. I've given seven members 7 day vacations this week for creating second (fake) accounts to bump their Ads early. This is selfish and unfair to the overwhelming majority of the members that chose to play fair.

Just to refresh sock puppet bump accounts will be permanently banned and the Puppeteer will be banned for 7 days on the first offense and permanently on the second offense.

As a side note I would also Ad that 99% of the people caught use the same 2 lame excuses.
Sock puppet Wiki:

Sockpuppet (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Trlsmn. There are no exceptions in the classified sections, but the supporting vendors can bump their stuff all they like in their own "Supporting Vendors" section. :s0155:

Yes as you said SV's can bump their own section in the Supporting vendor section as they aren't competing for page one of their own section, this just applies to the general classified section where all are equal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top