JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I told then people would have to invent new excuses... :s0112::s0114::s0114::s0112: ......but Zack's post wasn't far off the mark.

It could be a social experiment. Tell everyone what the excuses are and then in a couple months make another post that tells us the NEW percentage of people who still use those same excuses! :D (5 bux says it doesn't change)

profiles_SockPuppet41_5206_826179_xlarge.png

IP's are not the only tool in my Box. :s0155: Proxies in themselves can be a big clue to a sock puppet account.

several sites, any new users that come through a proxy site are banned as a matter of course. If I can't trace the IP then they don't belong on my sites.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

several sites, any new users that come through a proxy site are banned as a matter of course. If I can't trace the IP then they don't belong on my sites.

Really?
So you only allow phone calls from a whitelist of approved numbers?
I used a proxy frequently, sometimes for work purposes (gotta make sure the sites are handling geo-location decently, with best guesses and special pages for proxies). Sometimes I use a proxy when browsing, just for privacy - nothing wrong with that.

What about the cheap jerks out there who use wifi from the old neighbors who haven't turned on any security? How much is that IP gonna tell you?

Additionally, there are other ways and reasons to have an IP that isn't tied to your current location. For instance, when traveling, I may use free wifi to work or browse - but if I'm concerned about the connection or will be conducting financial transactions, I'll SSH into a home or work computer, then tunnel my connection and browse that way. That's a proxy, but not a proxy service - though it wouldn't take a genius to exploit a few semi-random computers and chain them together and have a wholly legitimate looking IP while being proxied several times over.

In the end it's really just about keeping the Classifieds honest and respectable not about banning members or punishing members. If a member gets caught bumping an ad with a sockpuppet does that make him a bad guy or a scammer? No, not in my book, it just means he's being selfish.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top