JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The sockpuppets Ad bump accounts are out of control. I've given seven members 7 day vacations this week for creating second (fake) accounts to bump their Ads early. This is selfish and unfair to the overwhelming majority of the members that chose to play fair.

Just to refresh sock puppet bump accounts will be permanently banned and the Puppeteer will be banned for 7 days on the first offense and permanently on the second offense.

As a side note I would also Ad that 99% of the people caught use the same 2 lame excuses.
Sock puppet Wiki:

Sockpuppet (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception within an online community. In its earliest usage, a sockpuppet was a false identity through which a member of an Internet community speaks with or about himself or herself, pretending to be a different person,[1] like a ventriloquist manipulating a hand puppet.

In current usage, the perception of the term has been extended beyond second identities of people who already post in a forum or blog to include other uses of misleading online identities. For example, a NY Times article claims that "sock-puppeting" is defined as "the act of creating a fake online identity to praise, defend or create the illusion of support for one’s self, allies or company."[2]

If an excuse is as amusing as multiple personality disorder do they get a day knocked off their warning ban?

Only if they can prove they are taking their meds!

You get 'em, Trlsmn, I hate getting greedy-bumped into oblivion

Me too! I have an Ad right now I would love to BTT but we Mods, the Supporting Vendors, and even Joey Link follow the same Ad bump rules as everyone else.

Don't know about anyone else,but i for one would like to know who they are so that i never enter into a transaction with them.
If someone feels that they are above the forum rules,then they evidently feel they are better than everyone else.That makes them someone i have no desire to do buisiness with.
Another concern that i have about these types of people,if they are dishonest enough to try and circumvent the system,then they are probably dishonest enough to rip off a potential buyer/seller.
RK

I completely agree with RockKrawler. I think the best way to stop it would be to make a sticky somewhere on here and list the peoples names. That way we all know who not to do business with and it would shame anyone out of doing it in the first place.

For what it's worth..and I know I'll catch a lot of flak over this..I for one think this can be dealt with in other ways.. Just looking in the Handguns section..I see 18 ads in the 1st 2 pages..above my ad..that are closed threads.. I see no reason why closed threads belong above items that are still available..or for that matter..taking up space at all..

I'm not defending those that break the rules..but I can share their frustrations...

For what it's worth..and I know I'll catch a lot of flak over this..I for one think this can be dealt with in other ways.. Just looking in the Handguns section..I see 18 ads in the 1st 2 pages..above my ad..that are closed threads.. I see no reason why closed threads belong above items that are still available..or for that matter..taking up space at all..

I'm not defending those that break the rules..but I can share their frustrations...

This could be handled by the seller not posting an additional post stating it's sold before closing their Ad instead changing their original post and/or the title to (Sold). Unfortunately the order of top posts don't discriminate between open and closed.

That said closed Ads will only be there for a short amount of time as they can't be bumped once they are closed.

I've looked into this but I can't find a software solution that would push back closed Ads.

I completely agree with RockKrawler. I think the best way to stop it would be to make a sticky somewhere on here and list the peoples names. That way we all know who not to do business with and it would shame anyone out of doing it in the first place.

I like the idea but I don't like the idea of a slander suit against NWFA. It's a sticky subject but if there is a chance of legal liability it's just not worth it.

I like the idea but I don't like the idea of a slander suit against NWFA. It's a sticky subject but if there is a chance of legal liability it's just not worth it.

Would it still be considered slander to just post usernames? That's what I was thinking, not putting peoples real names up...?

Would it still be considered slander to just post usernames? That's what I was thinking, not putting peoples real names up...?

In a perfect world truth is never slander. But in a litigious world you can be sued just the same.

I'm no lawyer but I think an online identity is as good as a legal identity.

I've had people here threaten to sue me just for giving them a warning infraction for cause. :s0131:

In a perfect world truth is never slander. But in a litigious world you can be sued just the same.

I'm no lawyer but I think an online identity is as good as a legal identity.

I've had people here threaten to sue me just for giving them a warning infraction for cause. :s0131:

Wow...... :nuts:

Are there any legitimate reasons for creating a sock puppet?

Say some strange, unrelated to me circumstances, where a political moderate is seen by the local far right goofs (hey, that WAS my nice world for them!) as someone left of lenin, so they want to make a sock puppet used only to go buy the sort of overpriced junk offered in the classifieds, without having to get into a political discussion that may ruin their ability to bargain? lol.

Your IP address for one. vBulletin is great for that. You can try to fake it.. but it don't work. Two accounts, from same IP, one bumping anothers account. Yup, it's obvious on the back end.

What meds did you say you were taking, can or would you share, seems like to much fun.. reading all the bs.. Illegal bumping is illegal bumping.. end of story. I got warned 1x, and did not know the rule, have never done again.. Should be fair enough for all..

I do wish there was some way to do something about the closed ads, however..

Just my .o2c

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads