JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Universal Handload recipe

2 questions,

1) Ive read that a handload is specific to the gun it was loaded for.... is it possible to work up a handload thats universal to all rifles? Factory ammo does it so I would think so… which leads me to ….

2) is it possible to work up a handload that works with different brands of brass cases? Case mfg seems to be the wildcard to me in load recipes… I realize different brands have slightly different case tolerances so I'm not expecting the same accuracy/velocity results between case manufacturers but I wonder about this from people who collect brass at ranges for free do you get good enough accuracy between the different cases to use the same recipe?

I wonder about this from people who collect brass at ranges for free do you get good enough accuracy between the different cases to use the same recipe?
at the distances & target sizes I commonly use, 'good enough' is a safe reloading manual spec load that functions in the range guns I use...which more often are revolvers than bottome feeders.

Its been years since hauling out a chrony to keep up on FPS as another variable to understand.
40 years ago I was concerned with 200 yard IHMSA handgun targets. Needed closer spec control than the 50-60' typical max for me these days.

Universal Handload recipe

2 questions,

1) Ive read that a handload is specific to the gun it was loaded for.... is it possible to work up a handload thats universal to all rifles? Factory ammo does it so I would think so… which leads me to ….

2) is it possible to work up a handload that works with different brands of brass cases? Case mfg seems to be the wildcard to me in load recipes… I realize different brands have slightly different case tolerances so I'm not expecting the same accuracy/velocity results between case manufacturers but I wonder about this from people who collect brass at ranges for free do you get good enough accuracy between the different cases to use the same recipe?
ALL rifles might be a stretch, but yes there are universal loads that seem to work well in many different rifles. Take Federal gold match 308 ammo for example. If your 308 doesn't shoot the federal gold match well you've got a rifle problem.

There are many examples of common good results with a given powder charge and bullet for a particular caliber.

You can absolutely get "good" results from mixed brass and I've done so working up a load for the 5.56 Larue using TAC and 77 gr SMKs. Easily shoots under MOA, usually under 3/4 moa. This is using both military and commercial mixed brass. Of course you'll squeeze more accuracy out of a tailored load using the same headstamp and same lot #.

The things that seem to make the largest, quickest gains in accuracy are the bullet choice, powder and powder charge in my experience.

ALL rifles might be a stretch, but yes there are universal loads that seem to work well in many different rifles. Take Federal gold match 308 ammo for example. If your 308 doesn't shoot the federal gold match well you've got a rifle problem.

There are many examples of common good results with a given powder charge and bullet for a particular caliber.

You can absolutely get "good" results from mixed brass and I've done so working up a load for the 5.56 Larue using TAC and 77 gr SMKs. Easily shoots under MOA, usually under 3/4 moa. This is using both military and commercial mixed brass. Of course you'll squeeze more accuracy out of a tailored load using the same headstamp and same lot #.

The things that seem to make the largest, quickest gains in accuracy are the bullet choice, powder and powder charge in my experience.
Whenever I think of factory ammo I think of universal, all rifles. At least from a safety metric. I can see some factory ammo shooting very inacurately in some rifles but better in others.

Im working on a handload for my 223/556 and given the variety of factory ammo available Id like to be able to reload any brass for it. My guess is that means I might have to find a powder charge that works for any brass. Probably slightly less than the charge weight that gives me the best accuracy in my purchased premium virgin brass? A compromise on the lighter end of velocity etc...

Whenever I think of factory ammo I think of universal, all rifles. At least from a safety metric. I can see some factory ammo shooting very inacurately in some rifles but better in others.

Im working on a handload for my 223/556 and given the variety of factory ammo available Id like to be able to reload any brass for it. My guess is that means I might have to find a powder charge that works for any brass. Probably slightly less than the charge weight that gives me the best accuracy in my purchased premium virgin brass? A compromise on the lighter end of velocity etc...
There are usually several accuracy nodes in a load work up. You're correct, you may have to sacrifice speed, but you should still be able to find a decent node at a lower charge.

As said above, yes and yes. I run the same load, in mixed brass, for multiple rifles very successfully. The only difference would be the caliber, .223 and 6.8. With the .223 I even run the same 25.0g gr of H335 for what ever 55 grain bullet I load.

My bolt guns are a different story. I use only Federal brass for my 30.06's and Privi brass for my 8mm Mausers, and each has its own load. What I found with the larger cases is the differential between manufacturers made a big difference down range.

Last Edited:
There are usually several accuracy nodes in a load work up. You're correct, you may have to sacrifice speed, but you should still be able to find a decent node at a lower charge.
Then this is likely the answer to my question. If I can find an accuracy node with a reduced charge safe in all brass that would be great. Maybe I will do 2 recipes one specific to accuracy with only once brand of case the other reduced charge generic for all cases to just reload any brass. Though I'm not really set up for mass production if I can achieve the same accuracy then I might not worry so much about higher velocities...

this will depend then on how much difference in accuracy I can get with this rifle but this is good info to factor in.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top