JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Damn, this guy has powered through tens of thousands of cases. Then some random ammunition comes along and boom.

Broken!!!

They are boxer primed. I always check that on random range pickups.

Thought I was good to go.

Lol!

Got through a few of them and then one just didn't want to go. Holy hell!

Is it the sealant?

Any stronger decappers out there?

Reno

6230BF28-F150-46B0-AA74-659F4EEF284A.jpeg 07FD25C6-6E5F-468E-A690-5BDC2C15404C.jpeg

I run a couple of Lee universal decap dies to remove primers before wet tumbling. I've broken one or two of the lee decap pins off of their center spindle. After going with the Squirrel Daddy replacements, I haven't had any issues.

But yeah, since its RCBS you are dealing with, I suspect they would have one in the mail to you shortly after you call them. I've had great service from then on the rare occasion that I have needed service when using any of their stuff.

I use a Frankford Arsenal hand decapper, they use a hardened steel pin. I do this to help keep my dies clean and save my pins since I decap first.
I know exactly which cases those are, I've lost a few pins to those cases and switched to using the Frankford Arsenal decapper. It can take a beating and just keep going.

If that's the first pin you're ever broken... you must be doing something wrong. 😂

I believe that head stamp is igman commercial export from konjic, bosnia & herzegovina. They do have sealant. a very aggressive crimp and known to sometimes have slightly undersized fire holes.

Personally... I just don't mess with them. There is some other stuff coming out that area too that looks similar and has 2 small fire holes instead of one. That's just a tad rough on pins too.o_O

I just avoid it all.

Last Edited:
That is the first pin you have broken? You are doing better than me. I bought a 50 pack of spare pins years ago, still have most. https://www.rcbs.com/spare-parts-an...nd-pins/replacement-parts/decap-pin/2079.html

Of course if you email RCBS you will have a new one for free and quickly.

If that's the first pin you're ever broken... you must be doing something wrong. 😂

I believe that head stamp is igman commercial export from konjic, bosnia & herzegovina. They do have sealant. a very aggressive crimp and known to sometimes have slightly undersized fire holes.

Personally... I just don't mess with them. There is some other stuff coming out that area too that looks similar and has 2 small fire holes instead of one. That's just a tad rough on pins too.o_O

I just avoid it all.
On this die, yes. It's been my hero over the many years of service.

Back when I started. I broke many decapping pins on sizing dies till I learned to decap first before sizing all 223/556.

Thought this one was indestructible honestly. I was proven wrong.

Good to know on the Bosnian ammo cases.

Another vote for undersize pin hole.

After breaking die pins and two of these punches https://www.brownells.com/reloading...-accessories/decapper-and-base-prod54170.aspx I have turned down a punch to fit case for use with Lee base.

I don't like putting dirty cases through dies so after de-capping with punch cases get washed before resizing. Punching by hand also helps find dirt clods or rocks stuck inside case.

Keep telling myself dealing with crimped cases are a pain, but price keeps dragging me back when they are often free.

Last Edited:

I just avoid it all.
Another reason to sort by headstamps after range or brasswhoring sessions especially when others leave their brass and you snatch it up. :D

Another vote for undersize pin hole.

After breaking die pins and two of these punches https://www.brownells.com/reloading...-accessories/decapper-and-base-prod54170.aspx I have turned down a punch to fit case for use with Lee base.

I don't like putting dirty cases through dies so after de-capping with punch cases get washed before resizing. Punching by hand also helps find dirt clods or rocks stuck inside case.

Keep telling myself dealing with crimped cases are a pain, but price keeps dragging me back when they are often free.
I've had a bad run with 2 damaged pins on some Norma 9mm brass with the small flash holes. I've now resorted to looking at every headstamp of 9mm while depriming. :eek::eek::eek:

Damn, this guy has powered through tens of thousands of cases. Then some random ammunition comes along and boom.

Broken!!!

They are boxer primed. I always check that on random range pickups.

Thought I was good to go.

Lol!

Got through a few of them and then one just didn't want to go. Holy hell!

Is it the sealant?

Any stronger decappers out there?

Reno

View attachment 1334083 View attachment 1334084
I did the exact same thing on Tuesday. Same headstamp you have there. I must have accidentally picked it up when I was collecting my own brass. I had sorted through them all and set the few of these I had aside. For some stupid reason, I tried to resize one and the flash hole was off center and it pulled the decapping pin out of the die and there is no way I am ever getting it back! Lesson learned and now I know why they all got left behind at the range!

There are a few headstamps that go in the scrap bucket and "IK" is one of them. Just not worth the head ache for me.

I too am very attentive about sorting brass by headstamp (as Caveman Jim said).

In my mind, decapping pins are a consumable item. Breaking one now and then has been normal in my experience.

On decapping dies that use a threaded rod, sometimes the nut will loosen and you don't notice it. This allows the rod and pin to become eccentric to the flash hole, whereupon the pin will catch the edge. Which will bend or break it off.

If you deprime any amount of range brass you will bend or break decapping pins.
I always keep spare dies and pins on hand for when something happens I can still keep going.
The same with reloading dies. I have extra die sets all set up and ready to go in case of a bent rod or a stuck case. I just grab another die and keep loading and take care of the problem later when I'm done.

Most of my reloading stuff is RCBS because of their fast free replacement policy.
They get my money before any other company.

Checked a few that made it through. The flash holes are much smaller. I forced a nice outward cone into the flash hole by decapping them.

I'll round up the rest and figure out what to do with them later.

I've got more pins. Swapped it for a new one shortly after posting this. I also used it as an excuse to finally buy a spare die to have on hand too. Went with the mighty armory decapper after looking around online for a "bomb proof" decapping die.

I'll also have a look at the hand decapping I've mentioned. Could be an easier way to do things.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top