JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Damn, this guy has powered through tens of thousands of cases. Then some random ammunition comes along and boom.

Broken!!!

They are boxer primed. I always check that on random range pickups.

Thought I was good to go.

Lol!

Got through a few of them and then one just didn't want to go. Holy hell!

Is it the sealant?

Any stronger decappers out there?

Reno

View attachment 1334083 View attachment 1334084
It's pretty good brass but it has undersized flash holes. I noticed a few that are off center too but when they're that small off center is kind of a subjective statement. A couple years ago I drilled a few out and shot them the brass worked just fine. But considering there is so much 556 brass laying around I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

After tens lof thousands like you, @Reno, but ~ a dozen or more decapping pins, I operate somewhat differently.
I only use so much force on my press. If it ain't popping, somethings wrong. Remove the case, inspect the pin, and the case internals for curiosity, then toss the case into my scrap.
One broke pin can cost more than 30 cases.

After tens lof thousands like you, @Reno, but ~ a dozen or more decapping pins, I operate somewhat differently.
I only use so much force on my press. If it ain't popping, somethings wrong. Remove the case, inspect the pin, and the case internals for curiosity, then toss the case into my scrap.
One broke pin can cost more than 30 cases.
I'm somewhat the same. I don't force it unless I feel something not working. I've found rocks, and such this way. I guess I figured this guy was "bomb proof". It lasted so long! It's technically not broken, entirely, but damn that one pin and I been through a lot of brass.

Reno you've been pretty lucky on your depriming adventure. Depriming lots of range brass I've broke several decapping pins. Now I mostly use the hand held Frankford Arsenal depriming tool now.
I did buy a used Lee Universal decapping die at the Monroe gun show last Saturday for $5.

I'm somewhat the same. I don't force it unless I feel something not working. I've found rocks, and such this way. I guess I figured this guy was "bomb proof". It lasted so long! It's technically not broken, entirely, but damn that one pin and I been through a lot of brass.
The fact the original pin lasted through so much use is a testament to your process.

I started decapping with the dedicated Lee die on an old rock chucker, and/or a RCBS JR press. A couple years ago, I picked up the Lee APP press. As a lighter duty processing press, it doesn't generate as much leverage as the larger, more sturdy presses I have. So this change in process helps me from bending/breaking decapping pins, and more easily highlights a stubborn primer. Plus, with a feeder tube and mechanism to help automate the process, it is easier than feeding and removing them by hand.

C80C885A-CF8C-4815-A633-5D22AD60AED1.jpeg

Last Edited:
Reno you've been pretty lucky on your depriming adventure. Depriming lots of range brass I've broke several decapping pins. Now I mostly use the hand held Frankford Arsenal depriming tool now.
I did buy a used Lee Universal decapping die at the Monroe gun show last Saturday for $5.
You said it!

I learned the hard way a long time ago when I first started loading for 223/556. I at one time sized and decapped. Man did I burn through pins. That and tons of stuck cases.

Since, I've always single stage decapped. It's a slow process, but I don't always reload so I might take a month or two to decap a few thousand cases. Then clean and prep. I try to have 5-6 thousand cases prepped for each cartridge at any given time.

I'm a simple man though. If I see brass lying on the ground at the range, I pick it up. I was at TCGC a few weekends ago and about 2-3 hundred 223/556 cases were lying on the concrete in front of the firing line. You have to get the RO to let you take time to go in front of the firing line at TCGC. It was butt ugly cold that morning, it was only myself, another usual Sunday morning shooter, and the RO. We spent a good amount of time just standing around the fire then shooting. I had all the time in the world to collect all the brass that day. This IK brass was mixed in with it. PITA when some random brass comes out of no where. Bosnian, WTF. Lol. I've never even seen Bosnian ammo for sale anywhere online, then again I'm not looking for it either…

I know people are talking about their process.

For bulk rifle here is my process on a progressive press:
Tumble
Station #1 lube/decap die
Station #2 size die
Trim if needed
Swage primers if needed
Tumble
Station #2 prime
Station #3 powder
Station #4 seat
Station #5 crimp

I bought and picked up lots of brass and use to deprime it all before I sold it. What a PITA. Now if I plan on keeping any of it I will deprime it before I wet tumble it.
I use to deprime on my Hornaday single-stage Lock n Load presses. I ended up trashing that new press depriming on it. All of the grit and funk wore the aluminum housing and the ram had a lot of wobble to it.
They replaced it free of charge.
I was using the Lee Univeral Decapping Die.
After trashing that press I switched over to the handheld Frankford depriming tool.

I like it, I don't have to stand at the press to dempime any more. I liked it so much I bought another on.

I?nve sold over two tons of brass. Now that the scrapp prices are way up and ammo is more available I slowed way down on playing around with processing the range brass.

At the current prices guys are selling 9mm and 40 caliber at I'll keep what I have and sit on it.

I use to push right threw depriming. Now if there is much resistance I put that piece of brass in a bucket and look why it didn't depriming.
Most of the time the brass had bedin primers, off set primer pockets or small flash hole.
I have a five gallon bucket full of garbage cases that need to go to the recycling place.

I too have sold a ton of range brass over the last 8-10 years and 95% was just dry media cleaned. When I got into loading 9 mm last year I kept and processed over 10,000 cases, 4000 are still on my sell shelf that no one wants at today's prices. I'll keep it since I've got the room to store it.

A piece of Norma 9mm brass snuck in my brass yesterday and killed my FA hand deprimer.
I was processing 9mm yesterday for my wife. Found about 2 dozen Norma 9mm with small flash holes. Found equally as many with normal flash holes as well. I am surprised just how tough the Dillon Die depriming pin is! Going to have to tell her to quit picking up other peoples brass at the range when she's done shooting! :D

I run into those 1K 5.56 cases from time to time too. They really suck if you try to size/decap them without realizing it.

I have a Hornady Flash Hole Deburr tool that I picked up used at a gun show some years ago. I found that all I had to do was adjust it for 5.56 brass, then run it up in the case to drill the flash hole from the inside before decapping, super quick and easy, just takes a couple seconds per case. After that it's just regular brass.

A piece of Norma 9mm brass snuck in my brass yesterday and killed my FA hand deprimer.
All it takes is one of those bassturds to muck up a prepping sessionand this is why I ordered replacement decapping pins through squirrel daddy a week ago. I received them today and promptly tested on some military 30-06 surplus crimped brass, they worked flawlessly!
I also ordered three of the 223/5.56 pins for my resizing die just in case those hard to deprime cases sneak in.

FADF14C5-2FB6-4235-990B-C81ABB0FC9EB.jpeg 35A5037E-49F5-4DF6-B1B8-832927EFD88A.jpeg

Another attribute for the squirrel daddy decapping pins are they are not rounded on the tip and the same size all the way to the body.
The squirrel daddy pins are tapered and hardened so they will power through that little hole and widen in all with one swing of the handle. :s0062:

B3993060-4C21-4C50-B2FB-D1C18A8B9160.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top