JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another Oregon mess up.
I remember before this went into effect. The only questions asked was "Do you want to keep your same area code?" Never a mention of what the "other" option was....

Just wondering if anyone has heard about anyone getting busted by a sting ???

Don't assume that we would....
Just because a dumbarse gets nailed for selling without tags doesn't mean that's where it stops. More likely, an attempt is made to get said goof to sell again and again to build up his prosecution matrix to the point where he wouldn't be seeing daylight for a spell. Then, he gets the bad news, and is presented with a choice. Accept loosing job, home, family and Southern virginity in the "house of pain" ( :s0066: ) or take on a new side job...snitch. He then is sent out with a "quota" to nail others to reduce his own problems. It's been done this way for decades in drug cases and there is no reason to think that a variation of this isn't in play here. Its simple economy on the part of the gubmint. Why expend resources on one low level conviction when you can turn these guys into unpaid breeder reactors and get four or more suckers for the same price.

The take away point I am trying to make here is don't think this is all being done by some unknown stranger or Agent. It could be someone you know and think is trustworthy. It could be your brother in laws work buddy that was introduced to you. I hope not but, maybe someone here in the future ?

Just because a dumbarse gets nailed for selling without tags doesn't mean that's where it stops. More likely, an attempt is made to get said goof to sell again and again to build up his prosecution matrix to the point where he wouldn't be seeing daylight for a spell. Then, he gets the bad news, and is presented with a choice. Accept loosing job, home, family and Southern virginity in the "house of pain" ( :s0066: ) or take on a new side job...snitch. He then is sent out with a "quota" to nail others to reduce his own problems. It's been done this way for decades in drug cases and there is no reason to think that a variation of this isn't in play here. Its simple economy on the part of the gubmint. Why expend resources on one low level conviction when you can turn these guys into unpaid breeder reactors and get four or more suckers for the same price.

The take away point I am trying to make here is don't think this is all being done by some unknown stranger or Agent. It could be someone you know and think is trustworthy. It could be your brother in laws work buddy that was introduced to you. I hope not but, maybe someone here in the future ?

So your saying right now everyone that gets busted is becoming a snitch and everyone is keeping a secret about it. No posts on forums or telling friends or someone watching them get busted all across the state.

Yea you got it right :s0140:

So your saying right now everyone that gets busted is becoming a snitch and everyone is keeping a secret about it. No posts on forums or telling friends or someone watching them get busted all across the state.

Yea you got it right :s0140:

Of course not ! Do you really think that there isnt an ongoing effort to enforce this law ?

I doubt they are expending any real effort on enforcing this law unless they stumble across it.

OTOH, there may come a day when they do.

I do agree that gun owners should be careful about who they let know that they are a gun owner, and what guns they own. I make it a general rule that online I only admit to guns I have bought "on paper" since the BGC law went into effect and that I have not sold or otherwise legally transferred to someone else, and even then I try to resist it.

Yeah, a bit paranoid, but that doesn't mean that there are not people in power out there that would use that info someday if they could, to take my firearms away.

Back on topic - I agree, selling "off the books" is not worth the risk at the present time. :(

Of course not ! Do you really think that there isnt an ongoing effort to enforce this law ?

Advertising that you are buying under the table. Yea they will enforce the law but I do not believe they are pushing it, also unless on a enforcement task force cops have a choice to enforce or not and a lot believe that it is a bs law.

Like others have said on here,you can sell 'off the books' if you want to but if the buyer isn't all what you thought he was or mostly if the gun was purchased after the law,or if the guy gets broken into and the gun stolen?
It's what may happen after that's gunna get you caught.
What if you are the buyer and don't realize the gun was bought at a store after the law? Then you get ripped off?
Now you have to explain that to the law dogs.

Advertising that you are buying under the table. Yea they will enforce the law but I do not believe they are pushing it, also unless on a enforcement task force cops have a choice to enforce or not and a lot believe that it is a bs law.

The rank and file street cop thinks its BS, sure. Yes, the enforcement of this would be handled by a task force with ATF funding. Everybody has a chain of command they must answer to. There is no picking and choosing of which law you want to enforce if you want a paycheck. In your state it's Ferguson, mine it's Rosenblum. Above that it lies with the money politicians get from the likes of Soro's and Bloomberg. If the politician wants to get more bucks, by God those lowly public servants will earn it for them by showing successful prosecution stats or else.

Nuff said...OB1 out.

The rank and file street cop thinks its BS, sure. Yes, the enforcement of this would be handled by a task force with ATF funding. Everybody has a chain of command they must answer to. There is no picking and choosing of which law you want to enforce if you want a paycheck. In your state it's Ferguson, mine it's Rosenblum. Above that it lies with the money politicians get from the likes of Soro's and Bloomberg. If the politician wants to get more bucks, by God those lowly public servants will earn it for them by showing successful prosecution stats or else.

Nuff said...OB1 out.

And like I said earlier word would get out but it hasn't. So you can bet most what if's are just in everyone's mind and not happening.

Yes, SB941 changed 18-20 year olds owning pistols. The only way for them to get them is a gift from family also the only way they can get rid of the pistol is a gift to family untill they are 21.
FFL's cant process 18-20 year olds pistol transfers.

I cannot tell you enough how wonderful it is to live in free Idaho where I can sell to or buy from anyone I choose. I took my enhanced carry course last weekend which will also allow me to buy handguns, rifles and shotguns from a in state FFL with no background check.

After living for so long in Washington, being there during the transition of I594 it's great to be treated like a responsible adult again

I would be offended at your post,, if i was not so jealous...:)

You know that most FFLs don't know this right? Most will tell you you need to be 21 to 'own' a handgun. So I would guess that most FFLs wouldn't do the transfer.
Now that is just taking away a right from younger folks.
As far as the receipts for sales or not,prior to the laws,the court has absolutely no recourse at all if you don't have a receipt.
Wa laws did not state any restrictions. Maybe they did have the atf 'known felon' clause in there but I may be mixing that up.
So what would they do to you?
Ask you who you sold it to?
I don't remember and I didn't have to take names per state laws.
Were they a felon?
Not to my knowledge. State law does not say I have to ask.
So this can go on for do you have a receipt,what state was the buyer from,did you ask for ID,and on and on.
State law did not say you had to have any of these things so per state law they have no recourse.

This brought up a question I had never thought of. I long knew some states allow different ages to poses a hand gun. FFL's of course had to follow the 21 rule. This makes me wonder but I suspect them doing the transfer would be treated by the BATF the same as if they sold the gun. Since it is going on their FFL if I understand how this works. If that is the case they of course can't do it for someone under 21 for a handgun. As for the bills of sale I still have on guns I sold there is (or at least was not at the time) a law in any of the states I did it saying I had to. I started keeping these after a prominent shooting decades ago. Gun used had been left at the shooting. Cops of course were tracking it down. It got me thinking what if that was one I sold. So started keeping track. I certainly would be within my rights to tell the cops to pound sand when they showed up. I don't act that way too them when they are just trying to do a job. This is one of those to each his own things but I don't see Police as my enemy as many do.

In context of the OP....

I'll bet Darwin would be blown away that his theory of "the process of natural selection" would adapt to the point that it THRIVES in a parallel electronic virtual world... to REAL, ACTUAL dummies doing what dummies do!

:rolleyes:

Any ideology, religion, societal structure, or financial system can be made to look GREAT on paper... but like I tell every idealistic young'un that tries to "argue" the "latest-greatest" with me, people are ALWAYS the "monkey in the wrench" and bubblegum it all up for everyone else.

o_O

LOL, I have long been amazed at this since the social media thing got going. Before that we used to have a good laugh at the crooks who would accidentally leave their wallet at a crime. Or write a robbery note on something with their address on it. Now days many of them will put the crime and their ID on line for the cops to see. does have to make the cops job far easier.

there was a report on 60 minutes about police turning college kid's caught with marijuana or small amount of drugs into snitches, and made them go out and buy from dealers or face prosecution...some of the kids were murdered. throw aways..I could see how this same techinque could be used trying to get dudes to buy your gun.

Throwaway Informants

Last Edited:
Even before SB-941 it was my policy to never sell a firearm to a private individual who didn't possess a valid drivers license and current CHL that matched the drivers license.

I see no reason to change that policy.

E

there was a report on 60 minutes about police turning college kid's caught with marijuana or small amount of drugs into snitches, and made them go out and buy from dealers or face prosecution...some of the kids were murdered. throw aways..I could see how this same techinque could be used trying to get dudes to buy your gun.

Throwaway Informants
In my town the cops have brought underage kids to convenience stores to ask people entering the store to buy beer for them. One of these little urchins tried it on me and I told the clerk about him. He went out and told the kid to stop asking people to buy him beer. The kid turned around and headed to a car that had an adult and another kid in it. Suddenly the math came together in my head. I had just busted up a sting operation. I felt guilty for about three seconds and then realized that LE had just tried to get me to commit a crime.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top