JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its not for me , but y'all know my favorites in the firearm world. LOL!

That being said , "the build your own AR" trend , reminds a bit of the muzzleloading world before the replica and reproductions were commonly available.*
Back in the late 40's through the early 60's guys would build muzzleloaders or re-work old rifles into "shooters".
Some of the workmanship was excellent , however I have seen some examples that were downright dangerous.
Also some of the early import replicas were of questionable quality.

Are there cases like this in the "homebrew" AR world?
I understand that there will always be fine workmanship no matter the rifle.
And quality parts mean nothing if put together sloppily.
Just wondering if " the make a fast buck with a eye catching but poor quality rifle" is a real concern to a AR buyer?
Especially during a period of high demand or perceived high demand.
Andy

*Note I am too young to really remember first hand the second wave of replicas of the 1970's , let alone a "new" gun of the 40's-60's.
But I have seen , shot and handled many a muzzleloader. Not to forget to mention doing countless hours of research on replicas or originals.
Hence my question.
It's hard to assemble an AR in a manner that will make it unsafe. It's also hard to find parts that are so bad that they'll make it unsafe. Neither of these is impossible, and I'm sure some of the members have some examples. Of course it's still possible to "Bubba" the gun up a bit. You can scratch it up or break parts of the receiver by using bad technique or too much force. You can put the wrong buffer or springs on it. Now that I think of it, you might be able to do something dangerously wrong when assembling an upper, but I buy those preassembled, so I'll leave it to someone else to comment on that. Or if you decide to work the sear surfaces to "improve" the trigger, sure. But mostly no, you can make an ugly or poor running one but probably not a dangerous one.

It's hard to assemble an AR in a manner that will make it unsafe. It's also hard to find parts that are so bad that they'll make it unsafe. Neither of these is impossible, and I'm sure some of the members have some examples. Of course it's still possible to "Bubba" the gun up a bit. You can scratch it up or break parts of the receiver by using bad technique or too much force. You can put the wrong buffer or springs on it. Now that I think of it, you might be able to do something dangerously wrong when assembling an upper, but I buy those preassembled, so I'll leave it to someone else to comment on that. Or if you decide to work the sear surfaces to "improve" the trigger, sure. But mostly no, you can make an ugly or poor running one but probably not a dangerous one.
All my guns are dangerous if not i would not own them. I think you mean unsafe.

You can install the extractor backwards in an AR after cleaning it..... The shame!

Hmmmm...That's a hard one. I like it, but I also know I probably wouldn't build one like that myself. Personally, I'm glad that AR's can be configured in so many ways and I'm glad they don't all look the same - I think that's part of the appeal and part of the reason they're so popular.

So, rock on you crazy, wild AR builders!

I am making a truly ugly gun, red buffer tube, some little FDE parts, mostly black, robins egg blue grip, Polished Stainless steel barrel...Oh yeah no one will want to swipe that baby.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top