JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another thing I'll add is avoid cheap holsters/belts. Go with reputable companies. If you ever got any questions just ask here. You'll get a ton of opinions and options to look into.

As far as holsters go, sometimes people are unloading a bunch for a certain gun here for cheap.

Might be worth keeping an eye out once you have a carry piece.

Also, something to look out for is that while ranges that rent handguns are a great option - pretty much every one require you to already have a gun or have someone with you that does.

Something thing to consider when purchasing a CCW handgun...buy one that has strong aftermarket support. Can't count how many times I've seen people try and find a holster for stuff like a Canik TP9 with an Olight Baldr-S or some crap like that and wonder why they can't find a holster that isn't a no name piece of crap. Stick with common/popular guns. I'd also suggest sticking with 9mm.

Listen to those guys up above. They know that of which they speak!
Another thing to consider, if you intend to carry OWB (outside the waistband) is a good belt. I recommend Bigfoot Gunbelts. They have a steel liner in them that doesn't allow the weight of the gun to cause it to sag and flibbert about. I've worn one for years and with the Glock 23 hanging on there you hardly notice it.
As has been said, get some training. Then, when you think you know it all, get some more training! You can't just hang a gun on your belt and say "there, now I have protection". It's like any other tool. You have to learn it forwards and backwards to be proficient.

Congrats and happy birthday! I doubt the gun or caliber will have much difference in a CCW gun. CCW guns are mostly chosen to be easy to carry, not so much to be great shooting guns. I have both great shooting guns and small dehorned, small, ccw guns that are great at being concealed and being pulled from clothing without snagging.
The best compromise gun for me is a Shield, but a Glock 19 would do the same. Both have decent sights enough grip to get all three gripping fingers on it, and a decent sight radius. neither are pocket size, but both are compact enough for carry. There are lots of guns in this size range. The only caliber restriction for me is if I don't reload for it, 9mm is cheaper.
I mostly carry a J frame S&W in 38 spl. It only has 5 rounds, almost no sights, and a tiny grip. But what makes it a favorite carry gun is it will slip into any pocket, slide right out of any pocket without snagging, and can be fired from in the pocket if necessary. For me good concealment is worth the tradeoff.
Before you decide, take a good look at your own needs. Is it more important to keep that gun hidden on you? That you need more ammo? or that you can shoot farther targets?
Or is a compromise that has decent sights, 10 to 12 round mags, and a little larger grip going to be better for you?
Try a few to find the one that make you smile! And let us know what you get! DR

Congrats and happy birthday! I doubt the gun or caliber will have much difference in a CCW gun. CCW guns are mostly chosen to be easy to carry, not so much to be great shooting guns.
I would suggest to anyone who carries (yes it's a process) to carry the biggest gun you can realistically speaking.

No gun is too small to carry. No gun is too big to fight with. It's a balance. Now I know a lot of people won't carry full size guns. Totally ok. But to a new shooter I would suggest something in the middle ground. Like you said the G19 is a great place to start.

Micro guns/pocket pistols/subcompacts are hard to shoot effectively. Especially for someone who doesn't have much time behind a firearm. If you find yourself in a confrontation you're gunna want something you can effectively fight with.

Are you a robot or is this yet another thread where OP asks a question and flakes the f out?
Half the time I think it's progressives baiting us, expecting us to answer a certain way. Making the gun community look bad. What they fail to realize is the "2A community" unlike the "politically elite" are really good at policing their own and calling out bull sh!t. Advocating for training and doing things the legal way. I don't think they get the response they are wished for.

Once you get a piece and start carrying it, don't be eager to haul it out.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This right here, is probably some of the best advice you will hear.
Do not be eager to take a life, and make no mistake about it, if you shoot someone that is very likely what you will be doing. Get your heart, mind, and soul prepared for that.

Nearly anyone here that carries is not only willing to help but in confidence will tell you all the dumb crap that they've done along the way.

I may have limited experience on this forum but 65 plus years have taught me something about people. These are good people.

Now for your daily dose of reality. This is about wielding lethal force. Getting your hands in the right place to do damage is one thing. Getting your head in the right place to know when to do the right thing is something only time and hopefully limited mistakes can teach. Now on to reality. It just doesn't get any more real than Clint Smith

Now go out and find more Clint Smith. You won't be disappointed. It's not gospel, it's experience. Make up your own mind. Thunder ranch isn't cheap but it's in your back yard. Consider it.

One last point, and this is me personally…

When I'm carrying, I'm the most humble person in the given situation. Doesn't mean I'm a door mat, means de-escalation and better yet, avoidance are the rules of the day.

Head on a swivel and situational awareness. Have a plan, wherever you are, what ever your doing.

Have something less lethal, pepper spray, knife, whatever works best for you. Because the last thing you want to do is drawdown on someone. That's reserved for a life threatening situation, as it'll be a life changing action.

...When I'm carrying, I'm the most humble person in the given situation. Doesn't mean I'm a door mat, means de-escalation and better yet, avoidance are the rules of the day. ...
Right. If you did anything at all to contribute to starting or escalating a fight, and end up shooting someone, even if it was clearly necessary to preserve your life, A jury will be much less likely to let you off without penalty. So when you carry you are seriously unwise to give a bad driver the finger. Or call someone an a-hole however much they deserve it. Let alone push or slap or punch anyone. Because they may come after you physically with bare hands, knife, or gun, and you may need to shoot them to preserve your life. But the jury will be told that you started it. And if you started a fight you didn't need to start and ended up shooting someone in SD that will usually not be considered a clean SD shooting. Likewise if someone insults you by giving the finger or verbally and you escalate the situation by drawing a gun.

People sometimes want to CC because they want to strut around acting like a tough guy figuring the gun means they can get themselves out of anything their acting like an a-hole gets them into. Not necessarily. The other party may also have a gun. And even if you hit them in the chest and get them first, that isn't instantly incapacitating. Many a deer has run 100 yards or more with its heart completely shredded by a high power rifle bullet, to collapse only after bleeding out. Some people are like that too, and can shoot you several times while bleeding out. In addition, if you pull a gun in public, many cops and good guys with guns will assume you are the bad guy, meaning you can get shot in one of many ways. Pulling a gun in public is a high risk act. And if you survive pulling a gun you still have the problem that if you shoot anyone, you are pretty likely to do time for it unless you are completely innocent of starting or escalating the conflict.

So if you CC you need to be unfailingly polite and much more willing to de-escalate or withdraw, etc than if you are carrying, as @nammac says, to be the most humble person in the situation.

I think you need to become familiar with both revolvers and semi-autos. What if your weapon is the gun you just took away from a would-be assaillant?

I'd suggest .38sp/.357mag as the revolver caliber, but start with .38sp wadcutters. And 9mm non-+P as the semiautomatic caliber.

Then, assuming you have finished a course in gun handling and safety, go to a range and rent and try the guns they have in those calibers one by one. Start with full size models with big adjustable sights, as those are usually top of the line, and most pleasant to shoot. The best revolvers are SW and Ruger . and colt but they cost way more for no better quality. After you have become familiar with the full size guns the range has in those two calibers, start working your way down toward smaller lighter guns in those calibers. The lighter the gun the worse the recoil. And the smaller the gun the harder it is to shoot well. There is nothing like having a gun that is pleasant to shoot and that you can shoot well to encourage you to practice.

A 21 year old today has the internet at their fingertips and can do a lot of learning / research from people who've already learned the hard way.

As far as guns go, they're tools. For example, most hammers will work for most homeowners as far as hammers go, but you might find you prefer one as opposed to another, and that's why when guns are the topic, spending $100 at a range handling all the pistols and shooting them a bit is well worth it compared to buyers remorse. You can develop some ideas through research and then decide after personal experience if your ideas you developed pre-experience, still hold up, or if you have changed your mind.

Carry method and your wardrobe also play a major factor for concealment. You will have to figure out where you are going to sacrifice because something that conceals really well won't be the best handgun to shoot, and something that is the best handgun to shoot won't conceal really well, that is unless you dress based on your gun.

I tend to fall in the "full size gun, don't care that much if I print, but I also pick my clothes to assist in the reduction of the gun printing," category.

Other times I am in the "deep conceal and the gun generally sucks compared to the full size, but it does a great job concealing and that's the primary goal."

So you basically have to evaluate how you are going to modify your life to do something that you previous have not been doing, and what gun will fit that role best for your intended goals.

I use full size guns with weight above about 32 oz for CC but they can have short barrels. Can't shoot small or light guns well enough to enjoy shooting them. With my SW 686 .357mag snubby I could take deer reliably. With the mostly plastic Glock model 23 .40 I couldn't even take sides of barns.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top