Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Tumbling with steel pins

Camelfilter

Reactions
Pins bigger than the FART oem pins might solve all/some of the pin problems mentioned in this thread:
I haven't tried these...yet.

Has anyone switched to these :s0153:
:D
I’ve never used standard pins, just the egg shaped type media.

Here’s a random google grabbed picture of the egg shaped type (on the left) vs pins:

905A9ECC-830D-4A48-A814-5CF27B45F1E9.jpeg

fredball

Reactions
Been doing it stainless media for years just be sure your media is not all the same and all are rounded no sharp adges

If you go this way don't go cowboy with the lemishine and soap. A little bit goes a long way for clean, shinny brass.

Your first batch you will see all of the black crap in dirty water that you dospose of.
After I drain the dirty water off I add clean water & swish it around & dump it then add clean water again and let it go another ten minutes on the tumble.
The water will be gray. You will have really clean brass.
With walnut hulls or corncob media your never get rid of the waste you will see in the dirty water.

Be advised you will find them little stainless steel pins places you never thought they would be.
A magnet with a release is needed.

I use a cap of armorall wash & wax & about half a teaspoon of lemishine.
View attachment 610603

I use the same soap. Limi shine is citric acid so I just buy that. 2lbs of the stuff from Walmart $9. I prob will take 10yrs to use it up!

I use just less than a 9mm case full per load in the Franklin tumbler. NOTE everyone’s water has a different pH. Some will need more citric acid some will need less. I think my non scientific 9mm is prob about the same as the half teaspoon. But someone on a well or living in AZ will have different pH. Just plan on adjusting your mix for what works best for your water.

3038B3DA-D9B1-4DDC-AE26-D7C55D841C98.jpeg

Dyjital

Reactions
Properly inspecting brass after a cleaning removes the stuck pin theory.

I get some, but proper brass inspection does find them. May try a smaller pin diameter at some point though or the “chips” style.

I started cleaning with dry media and didn’t get the results I desired. First wet media tumble I was hooked.

Reactions
If you go this way don't go cowboy with the lemishine and soap. A little bit goes a long way for clean, shinny brass.

Your first batch you will see all of the black crap in dirty water that you dospose of.
After I drain the dirty water off I add clean water & swish it around & dump it then add clean water again and let it go another ten minutes on the tumble.
The water will be gray. You will have really clean brass.
With walnut hulls or corncob media your never get rid of the waste you will see in the dirty water.

Be advised you will find them little stainless steel pins places you never thought they would be.
A magnet with a release is needed.

I use a cap of armorall wash & wax & about half a teaspoon of lemishine.
View attachment 610603
I actually don't use lemishine anymore, a nice solid squirt of Dawn and two hours of tumbling for pistol and three hours for rifle makes brass look brand new.

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done business with Jeff for many years,he is trustworthy and honest
    • grpolarbear
  • Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I've known him from the beginning. I trust him completely. His prices are fair. He is...
    • OLDMANWINTER
  • Country Line Shooting Sports
    5.00 star(s)
    If you like a good mom and pop, country store, County Line only lacks the cracker barrel and...
    • CptPh0t0n
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    David is kind, considerate and a true professional as are the rest of his staff ! Thanks
    • LuLuBelle
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    Back in April, I had Brimstone do a Tier 1 trigger job for my 10/22 race gun build. After months...
    • Mister Bisley

Staff online