JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Home made pin tumbler, using about 15 lbs of pins and can tumble about two or three gallons of empties.
it is a bucket inside a bucket. the removable inner bucket has a screw on water proof lid.

Good Shooting

Lindy
DSC00499.JPG

Last Edited:
I've tried a few various pin sizes and the chips. If you are going to buy pins, go for the larger diamater pins. They are less likely to get stuck. Mixing media is fine.

I have cleaned many 5 gallon buckets of pistol brass without decapping first. With and with-out media. It should be noted that primers can/will leach gunk after wet tumbling, if not washed and dried completely. The gunk will etch the brass if not removed. Rinse and dry well, especially if you leave the primers in.

I tend to NOT use soap with carnauba wax during the initial cleaning. It will mix with and trap contaminates; sometimes making a gross slime! Dawn and dash of citric acid to deal with water hardness / prevent spotting during drying.

I do use the soap with carnauba wax EVERY TIME though! Just add a bit during one of the rinse cycles. It sticks to clean brass like glue! A little goes a long way, and it makes sizing the brass easier. Plus your dies will thank you for it!

I have been using alcohol and lanolin as case lube more and more for bulk reloading. Just need a better way to clean the lube off a loaded round. For precision rounds, Redding dry and wax lubes w/a touch of something extra. Those get wiped down by hand.

As an fyi
I found using any soap that suds or foams tends to have the pins float/suspend in those suds, away from the brass.
I use any product that doesn't suds, like Purple Cleaner or Krud Kutter (a WD40 product) for tumbling, and have Armorall W+W in my final rinse water.
jmo
:s0112:

Last Edited:
As an fyi
I found using any soap that suds or foams tends to have the pins float/suspend in those suds, away from the brass.
I use any product that doesn't suds, like Purple Cleaner or Krud Cutter (a WD40 product) for tumbling, and have Armorall W+W in my final rinse water.
jmo
:s0112:

The MSDS documents for those degreasers, show that they are both toxic and highly corrosive. One specifically lists Metals. That is why it cleans so well, but most likely will damage the brass given enough exposure. And of course kill off several of your internal organs without the proper safety equipment. :eek:

Good thing we all have gloves and masks now... :D

I've never had a problem with floating pins. I can see them tumble with the brass through the clear end cap without issue. Even with plenty of suds on top.

I've never had a problem with floating pins. I can see them tumble with the brass through the clear end cap without issue. Even with plenty of suds on top.

It happens the most when you are draining off the wash water and rinsing. I loose a few pins this way.

Last Edited:
Those floating pins do drive me crazy. Maybe if we slightly magnetize the pins?
Yes, I've read where the suds is even more a problem floating chips.
When I used dawn, as a bubba fix, I added a splash of fabric softener to knock down the suds.
Probably toxic in some way though, I'll wait for you to check into it...:s0112:
:D

I use Jewelers Stainless Tumbling media, 2 pounds for $23:00 from Amazon. works extremely well, and I almost never get the pins stuck in primer holes!
These are very mild, prolonging brass life considerably, but they do work harden the brass, so it's best to anneal after if you need to!
I use enough warm water to completely cover everything, and usually a squirt or two of dawn dish soap, and maybe a tee spoon of ammonia! Make sure to rinse in hot water and air dry completely after!

1589525874959.png

I use Jewelers Stainless Tumbling media, 2 pounds for $23:00 from Amazon. works extremely well, and I almost never get the pins stuck in primer holes!
These are very mild, prolonging brass life considerably, but they do work harden the brass, so it's best to anneal after if you need to!
I use enough warm water to completely cover everything, and usually a squirt or two of dawn dish soap, and maybe a tee spoon of ammonia! Make sure to rinse in hot water and air dry completely after!

View attachment 697023
Ammonia? For some reason I thought that was bad for brass. Now I'm going to have to go back and re-educate myself!

Edit:
That sure is some pretty s/s media!

Ammonia? For some reason I thought that was bad for brass. Now I'm going to have to go back and re-educate myself!

Edit:
That sure is some pretty s/s media!
It is bad if you let it sit in it for days, a few hours at most and it does a fantastic job of cleaning powder residue and aiding the process! I was skeptical my self, but some one I trust completely recommended I try it!

It is bad if you let it sit in it for days, a few hours at most and it does a fantastic job of cleaning powder residue and aiding the process! I was skeptical my self, but some one I trust completely recommended I try it!
Good to know! Regardless of what I'm using to clean brass (unless it's a vibratory bowl cleaner), the brass gets rinsed off and removed immediately after the tumbler stops. Then off to the towel and oven!

I was directed from another forum to them on Facebook their page name is Southern Shine Media. You'll pricing listed and a few postings with them. I ordered 10lbs for $44.20 delivered. Great people to work with.
Just ordered some. :eek:
We'll see how it goes!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews