JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a tumbler with walnut polish media in it. I just put 100 decaped 308 shells in it. The last time I used this was close to 40 years ago and I can't remember how long I should let it tumble. Any idea? Also I noticed some are using stainless rods as media. I need something for cleaning brass and suppressors. What grade of stainless media should I use if I go this route?

Last Edited:
I have a tumbler with walnut polish media in it. I just put 100 decaped 308 shells in it. The last time I used this was close to 40 years ago and I can't remember how long I should let it tumble. Any idea? Also I noticed some are using stainless rods as media. I need something for cleaning brass and suppressors. What grade of stainless media should I use if I go this route?
Walnut out corn media usually takes one to two hours to clean our polish.

Amazon search stainless steel media. There are really only two types of pins. Non magnetic and magnetic. The magnetic ate great if you want to use a magnet to sort out your media, our in my case pick it off the ground everywhere.

However you'll have to get a different tumbler as the traditional vibratory tumbler doesn't work with the stainless media. The stainless media tumblers are more like a rock polisher.

There are more and more available these days for less and less. When they first originated they weren't all that cheap.

Another question. After a quick search I noticed some are tumbling with soap, media and water. I don't think my drums are waterproof. Can you use stainless media dry?

There is a big difference between the stainless media tumbler and a traditional vibratory tumbler. The stainless is a sealed drum of some sort on a belt or motor driven rotational drive, whereas the traditional is a vibratory bucket that literally can be used with the lid off.

You can use stainless media in a vibratory if you really wanted to, it is not what it was designed for, nor will it likely get the same results as an actually stainless style tumbler unit would.

I wet tumble in a home made drum on a game built tumbler. I looked around at media and bought some that was larger and made to not get stuck in flash holes and cases. It's worked really well. Haven't had any issues getting the pins out and cleaning in much better and my only consumables are a few drops of dawn and a .40 case of lemishine per batch.

As others have said the equipment is completely different for wet and dry tumbling.

Also I think the wet tumbling process will take the finish off of your suppressors or at least scratch them up, you'd probably want more of an ultrasonic cleaner.

Last Edited:
This is my tumbler. I'm not sure if the drums are waterproof, I'll test them later. I tumbled my brass for five hours but I didn't get the results that I wanted. It took me an hour to fish my brass out of the media.

image.jpg free photo hosting

Most of the time you're going to want to let it run for 4-8 hours depending on how tarnished the brass is, you're never going to get a real shine from walnut, it tends to leave a dull burnished finish, however it does a good job of cleaning stains off. If you want bright brass, corncob is your friend.

Stainless does work, and works well. however you need a rotary type tumbler, which looks to be what you have, I think that's a HF rock tumbler, and it's probably waterproof enough to do the job for you.

There are a few options as far as SS media goes... there are the pins which are the most common, there's also another stuff called Jewelry Mix, which is commonly used for polishing jewelry, it's rounder but sometimes it gets stuck inside the case depending on which cartridge. It all works, but it's damn expensive stuff. Lemishine works, however I just use powdered laundry detergent for wet tumbling, and then do all my finishing in corncob.

I can see I need to make a trip to cabelas, I'm sure they'll have the stainless media I need. I have to pick up some stuff I ordered anyway. Cabelas right before Christmas is a madhouse.

I can see I need to make a trip to cabelas, I'm sure they'll have the stainless media I need. I have to pick up some stuff I ordered anyway. Cabelas right before Christmas is a madhouse.

Don't be surprised if they don't have any in the shelf at Cabela's. You might want to call ahead if it's a long drive, or order it online and pick it up at the store to save shipping. They aren't very good at keeping they're shelves stocked, especially with things like extra pins. Or primers. Or the bullets you want, or...

Decap, resize brass
rock Tumbler
5 lb stainless steel pins
squirt of liquid dishwashing detergent (wife buys dawn)
pinch of lemishine
water from garden hose
Takes about an hour, do it outside, always leaks.
media <broken link removed>
garden hose washing while cranking the media separator, water is now black ick, brass is golden
pour wet brass into food dehydrator set temp to about 140 for an hour.
I store them in gallon juice jugs till ready to reload

Decap, resize brass
rock Tumbler
5 lb stainless steel pins
squirt of liquid dishwashing detergent (wife buys dawn)
pinch of lemishine
water from garden hose
Takes about an hour, do it outside, always leaks.
media <broken link removed>
garden hose washing while cranking the media separator, water is now black ick, brass is golden
pour wet brass into food dehydrator set temp to about 140 for an hour.
I store them in gallon juice jugs till ready to reload

Excellent! One additional step (for me) is to decrimp the primer pockets as I'm using military brass. I went ahead and ordered 5 pounds of stainless steel pins. I really like the results you guys are getting from them.

Is it necessary to dry the media after use?

Oh God NO!!!

Either put it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven (on its lowest setting) for an hour or so (preferably when the wife is gone) or spread out on an old towel for a week or so.

Absolutely dry is obviously a MUST!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR