JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Powder burn rates have much to do with how well a platform suppresses. If you have gasses in excess of what is needed to cycle action it will add noise. Being a reloader makes it easier to hone in on a load that is quiet but trying many different brands of subsonic ammo will probably get you there also. I load a 500gr subsonic load for my 458 socom and it is only slightly louder than my 300blk loads. It took many range sessions with 4-5 different powders to arrive at it but well worth the effort. The ultimate quiet subsonic rig is a bolt action or a single shot but the correct burn rate powder can effect their noise level as well.

@Phillyfan I am not sure how much you know about suppressors and backpressure and what different configurations and designs contribute or minimize that backpressure. In general, the longer the can, the more backpressure it is going to generate. In a handgun application this means you will likely need to increase the weight of your recoil spring. In addition, the more backpressure, the more crud is going to get blown back into the action. The flipside to the additional backpressure is that your suppression is likely better as a function of the longer can and additional volume. These are generalized observations and not the hard and fast rule as some manufactures have different designs to combat.

I bring this up as you are looking at full length and K configuration cans. If all you care about is weight/hearing safe then you will likely be happy with the K configuration cans and they should in general have less backpressure. If you want maximum suppression then you will want to focus on modular or full length suppressors but they will in general generate the most backpressure. My 5" 1911 with Obsidian 45 in full length configuration, shooting bulk 230gr ammo is quite, not suppressed 22lr quite but very pleasant without hearing protection. I had to increase my recoil spring weight to combat the increased backpressure though.

If you have any pistol caliber carbines you are going to run your can on now or in the future and you want a short barrel with a suppressor that fits under the handguard make sure you take that into consideration as the fatter cans or oblong shaped cans won't fit under a handguard.

My #1 recommendation for those looking to get into suppressors is to find someone with at least a couple suppressors who is willing to take you along to the range to hear what a suppressor sounds like in real life. Especially if you can hear in person the difference between a K configuration and full length suppressor. You are going to have a lot of time and money invested in this choice and you don't want to get it wrong.

Go for something light, don't over look the Bowers ASP .45.
He will clean it for you, give you new baffle stacks, and the can is super light. I have had mine for 14 years. No problems and I got it serviced twice.
Bowers is based in Cornelius OR (out between Hillsboro & Forest Grove)

Rugged Obsidian 45.

I have the Obsidian 9 and it's fantastic. Rock solid, ultra quiet, modular, serviceable. Rugged's unconditional lifetime warranty was the ultimate selling factor for me.

@Phillyfan I am not sure how much you know about suppressors and backpressure and what different configurations and designs contribute or minimize that backpressure. In general, the longer the can, the more backpressure it is going to generate. In a handgun application this means you will likely need to increase the weight of your recoil spring. In addition, the more backpressure, the more crud is going to get blown back into the action. The flipside to the additional backpressure is that your suppression is likely better as a function of the longer can and additional volume. These are generalized observations and not the hard and fast rule as some manufactures have different designs to combat.

I bring this up as you are looking at full length and K configuration cans. If all you care about is weight/hearing safe then you will likely be happy with the K configuration cans and they should in general have less backpressure. If you want maximum suppression then you will want to focus on modular or full length suppressors but they will in general generate the most backpressure. My 5" 1911 with Obsidian 45 in full length configuration, shooting bulk 230gr ammo is quite, not suppressed 22lr quite but very pleasant without hearing protection. I had to increase my recoil spring weight to combat the increased backpressure though.

If you have any pistol caliber carbines you are going to run your can on now or in the future and you want a short barrel with a suppressor that fits under the handguard make sure you take that into consideration as the fatter cans or oblong shaped cans won't fit under a handguard.

My #1 recommendation for those looking to get into suppressors is to find someone with at least a couple suppressors who is willing to take you along to the range to hear what a suppressor sounds like in real life. Especially if you can hear in person the difference between a K configuration and full length suppressor. You are going to have a lot of time and money invested in this choice and you don't want to get it wrong.
So did you need to change your spring for the 1911?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews