JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have gotten to the point in my collection that I want to start playing with silencers. I have most of the guns I really want/need and now just want to play with them in a new way. Always wanted a suppressed gun, but finally ordered a new threaded barrel for my Sig 1911 tacops .45acp to take the first step. I got a guy that is helping me through the process and he gave me a list of the cans that he recommends.

Silencerco Osprey 45 or 45K
Silencerco Omega 45K
Rugged Obsidian 45
Griffin Armament Revolution 45
Innovative Arms Shepherd 45
Silencerco Octane 45
Gemteck GM45

I am leaning toward the Silencerco Osprey 45 because it seems like it would work better without having to have taller sights. Also, it looks cool. Yeah, it matters.

Wondering if any of you have input on any of these, or others, you would recommend

I have the rugged obsidian in 45 and love it.
Great lifetime warranty, can run in different caliber,
Can be completely disassembled.
It is my FN Tacs best friend.
Just talking about it makes me want another....

Consider the Dead Air Ghost M
You can use it at it's full length or you can detach part of it for a shorter version of itself
I use it mostly on my G-41(45 ACP) but with a piston change I can use it on a 9mm or subsonic 300 Blackout

First rule of suppressor club is their called suppressors as silencers are illegal. Also be ready to fork out cash for something you won't get for 7-14months and pay a $200 tax stamp on top of that. Good luck

First rule of suppressor club is their called suppressors as silencers are illegal. Also be ready to fork out cash for something you won't get for 7-14months and pay a $200 tax stamp on top of that. Good luck
What do you mean "silencers are illegal"?

Illegal? My form 4, box 4b (type of firearm) sez----Silencer. Is "silencers are illegal" a Washington thing?

My Osprey 45 was my first purchase and it's my favorite.
I use it on multiple firearms and lately just keep it on my 1892 Chiappa lever action .357 Magnum rifle that I had Velzey cut it down to 17-1/2" and thread it.
I've got a bunch of 38 special ammo and everyone that shoots it can't believe how quiet it is, especially when they hit a metal target.

Own an Obsidian 45 and like it so much I am considering another. Really is the best pistol can for the money. If you research some of the existing reviews and posts on other forums asking your same question, you will find it is consistently recommended at the top. Another to take a look at is the CGS Nautilus.

I would stay away from Gemtech and AAC both are struggling. A quick google search can provide you with details if you want to know more. A big part of buying a suppressor is the warranty and customer service provided by the manufacturer. Rugged, Dead Air and SilencerCo are all highly regarded for their customer service and warranty. This is important when you are buying an item that requires 6-month plus waiting period before you can possess it.

Another important consideration is, where is the serialized portion of the suppressor located? On the Obsidian 45 it is the mount section which is the thickest part and least prone to being damaged. This mean should a baffle strike or tube damage occur it can be quickly and easily repaired. That isn't true with some cans.

So I have gotten to the point in my collection that I want to start playing with silencers. I have most of the guns I really want/need and now just want to play with them in a new way. Always wanted a suppressed gun, but finally ordered a new threaded barrel for my Sig 1911 tacops .45acp to take the first step. I got a guy that is helping me through the process and he gave me a list of the cans that he recommends.

Silencerco Omega 45K
Rugged Obsidian 45
Silencerco Octane 45
Gemteck GM45

I am leaning toward the Silencerco Osprey 45 because it seems like it would work better without having to have taller sights. Also, it looks cool. Yeah, it matters.

Wondering if any of you have input on any of these, or others, you would recommend
I've found its difficult to go 'quiet' with a 45. You can get it pretty quiet but still puts out a pretty good 'thump'. .22 and 9mm are much better at it. But many of these cans you have listed will also be able to shoot 9 through them. Not trying to get you to change your idea, but instead to realize that if you can use a can on multiple calibers you get a better return on your money. You'll just have to have a piston for each caliber.

I've been trying to purchase pistols with threaded muzzles the past couple of years so pay attention as you move forward. I usually buy Silencerco products because I can switch my cans around on several rifles. Happy hunting. They are fun.

I've found its difficult to go 'quiet' with a 45. You can get it pretty quiet but still puts out a pretty good 'thump'. .22 and 9mm are much better at it. But many of these cans you have listed will also be able to shoot 9 through them.

VideoCapture_20200914-113648.jpg
Having shot quite a few calibers suppressed, 22lr and 300 Blackout have been the most quiet for factory loaded ammo. Even the CZ Scorpion integrally suppressed 9mm seemed louder then my 300 Blackout. No official metering, but everyone shooting that day noticed a lower/deeper tone for 300BO as opposed to the 9mm Scorpion or even a HK45 with Hybrid 46 on the end. Food for thought.

How do you shoot your 1911 currently?
A couple mags at a time? Mag dumps? Double tap? Slow and single shot? Do you plan on getting a SMG/Carbine?

If you like the looks of the osprey, it works well on all the platforms but its not the quietist.
The dead arm M is pretty quiet and another one that is made locally is the bowers asp, which is dead quiet when shot wet.

View attachment 749717
Having shot quite a few calibers suppressed, 22lr and 300 Blackout have been the most quiet for factory loaded ammo. Even the CZ Scorpion integrally suppressed 9mm seemed louder then my 300 Blackout. No official metering, but everyone shooting that day noticed a lower/deeper tone for 300BO as opposed to the 9mm Scorpion or even a HK45 with Hybrid 46 on the end. Food for thought.
Of course, a .45 can when used w a 9mm will really quiet it. Most of the suppression is done in the volume of the suppressor.

Silencerco Omega 45K
Rugged Obsidian 45
Silencerco Octane 45
Gemteck GM45

Is weight an issue? If so and you ONLY plan on using this with your pistol, get the lightest one available. Cans on the ends of pistols suck. I rarely, if not ever, shoot pistols with any of my "silencers" except rimfire.

If weight isn't an issue, get the Bushwacker. Which is a user serviceable 45 caliber suppressor that can virtually be used on any caliber that will fit through a 45 caliber hole.

Go for something light, don't over look the Bowers ASP .45.
He will clean it for you, give you new baffle stacks, and the can is super light. I have had mine for 14 years. No problems and I got it serviced twice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews