JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is again one of those things that a LOT of people are not going to like. Only you can decide what risk you are willing to take. I keep some kind of small rifle in my vehicle I am using at all times. Most common is an old KT folding 9mm. It is kept in a way that someone who does a smash and grab would "probably" not find it. If they steal the whole vehicle? Well then its gone.
Now again not a lawyer, did not stay at Holiday Inn. The long gun is not loaded. Does have loaded mags with it. In WA state if your gun is stolen you have 24 hours to report it as such or face a large fine. The 24 hours is after you know its stolen. Now if its stolen and you wait a week to report it? State may or may not buy that but again no one knows for sure.
One thing for me is I don't ever do anyplace were the vehicle is left at night that its not being watched. If I had to park over night downtown or such? I probably would not want the gun in there. At work vehicle is being watched. At home its being watched and under motion detectors. Again MANY will not like this idea. So this is a to each his own.

Do what works best for you, but be fully aware of the risks and liabilities you assume by doing so. Guns unattended in a vehicle are a greater target of theft. Most "car safes" aren't really that secure - a minute with a prybar is often all a bad guy would need to access them. You may have a vehicle that enables you to hide the "safe" from view, but guns aren't the only reason criminals break into cars, so keeping it out of sight doesn't guarantee avoidance of a theft. In WA you now have to report firearm theft within 24 hours of it being discovered, and if you fail to do so you can be fined up to $1,000.

Personally, if I were to have a "truck gun" it would be something cheap and readily replaceable.

Agreed. I'd say gun stickers or pro 2A stickers are a give away for firearms or at the very least gear/tools.
Sadly I decades back stopped with the stickers. For many reasons. Some LEO's just don't like us owning guns. Some scum would of course look for them as a sign of one to break into. The number one reason for me was the FAR left kooks. Who feel fine damaging a vehicle with anything they don't like on it. If you catch one of them in the act they start SCREAMING for the Cops to come save them. Same Cops who they claim to hate. If arrested for doing something to your vehicle here the courts will do nothing to them. So I finally stopped even putting the thin blue line stickers on my cars. Just not worth the hassle the "free speech" kooks will impose if they see it.

Do what works best for you, but be fully aware of the risks and liabilities you assume by doing so. Guns unattended in a vehicle are a greater target of theft. Most "car safes" aren't really that secure - a minute with a prybar is often all a bad guy would need to access them. You may have a vehicle that enables you to hide the "safe" from view, but guns aren't the only reason criminals break into cars, so keeping it out of sight doesn't guarantee avoidance of a theft. In WA you now have to report firearm theft within 24 hours of it being discovered, and if you fail to do so you can be fined up to $1,000.

Personally, if I were to have a "truck gun" it would be something cheap and readily replaceable.
Cheap, replaceable, and one without any connection to my name.

Cheap, replaceable, and one without any connection to my name.
Be careful here. If what you mean is one you own that is not papered to you so if stolen you don't have to report it. If someone is thinking along this lines make DAMN sure that gun can't be traced back to you. As in did the last person "known" to own it sell it to you? If the law shows up at their door are they going to say they sold it to you? Again everyone has to do what they feel good with but, I will report mine stolen if it happens.

Be careful here. If what you mean is one you own that is not papered to you so if stolen you don't have to report it. If someone is thinking along this lines make DAMN sure that gun can't be traced back to you. As in did the last person "known" to own it sell it to you? If the law shows up at their door are they going to say they sold it to you? Again everyone has to do what they feel good with but, I will report mine stolen if it happens.
Got a bill of sale or proof? Or we just going off an individuals word? Cause that won't cut it for PC or a warrant. Obviously if you're rolling around with a gun that isn't "papered" to you then use your brain.

I'm not suggesting to do this. I also do not promote or suggest the idea of a designated "truck gun." I think they are stupid and at the end of the day serve no purpose in a metro/city environment. I carry a gun on my person. The way it's intended to be done. That is the only way I can guarantee that it is secure and accounted for.

My gun. My responsibility. One that I take seriously.

A Kel-Tec Sub2K makes for a good truck gun. It's easy to conceal and quick to deploy; plus 9mm is a good all around cartridge for whatever you might need a truck gun for.

Also, in the event it does get stolen, they are relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable.

Sadly I decades back stopped with the stickers. For many reasons. Some LEO's just don't like us owning guns. Some scum would of course look for them as a sign of one to break into. The number one reason for me was the FAR left kooks. Who feel fine damaging a vehicle with anything they don't like on it. If you catch one of them in the act they start SCREAMING for the Cops to come save them. Same Cops who they claim to hate. If arrested for doing something to your vehicle here the courts will do nothing to them. So I finally stopped even putting the thin blue line stickers on my cars. Just not worth the hassle the "free speech" kooks will impose if they see it.
Same here. Less afraid of theft as I didn't keep things in my vehicle overnight and rarely left it unattended in shady parts of town for long.. it's the vandalism from radicals that halted any political or firearm displays for me.

Gotta love the ultra tolerant, peace and love types.

A poem,

I have a gun in my car/truck all the time.
If Im there, if Im not there.
I dont care. Its there .
You dont have to like that, I dont care.

A Kel-Tec Sub2K makes for a good truck gun. It's easy to conceal and quick to deploy; plus 9mm is a good all around cartridge for whatever you might need a truck gun for.

Also, in the event it does get stolen, they are relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable.
A Ruger PC takedown model would also work well, for those of us in WA it's a legal PCC.

Decades ago I use to always travel with a hidden pistol, and even crossed borders and had my vehicle search. I wouldn't do it today because of how crazy things are now with anti-gun laws. Back then they would have just confiscated the pistol. Today they'll throw you in jail.

Being in the service back in the 80s I was transfered across the country a couple of times so I drove. Back then in my passenger seat was a colt gard model 70 1911 - it provided a great deal of comfort knowing it was there. Today I don't leave the house without a sidearm. Can't imagine it any other way.

Being in the service back in the 80s I was transfered across the country a couple of times so I drove. Back then in my passenger seat was a colt gard model 70 1911 - it provided a great deal of comfort knowing it was there. Today I don't leave the house without a sidearm. Can't imagine it any other way.
It's a good idea to always carry, so it becomes second nature, and you don't even think about it. I always grab at least one pocket pistol before walking out the door. If I feel I might need to actually hit something, I carry one of my pistols with a green laser, and more power.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top