JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All this talk about trucks and you still need a trailer. I'm right by Tacoma and I've got a 10k lb cargo trailer that I used to move up here in December. Got the thing brand new and added a wireless backup camera to it. It just sits in my yard, I need a smaller trailer so I'd sell you this guy for a good price. Let me know if you're interested, I can even deliver it to you since you don't have a truck yet.
Please PM me info, price, and pictures. I'm interested. Thanks!

There's a reason the Ford costs more:
Toyota Tundra has a max towing capacity of 10.2K lbs.
A Ford Superduy can handle up to 32.5K lbs....
The Ford is literally 3X the truck.

Some relatives just passed through our area hauling big RV trailers. Cousin with a new F350...9mpg towing. Uncle with a new Tundra...10mpg towing. Difference in price = +$30k for the Ford.

Curious what you think it might cost to rent a big rugged truck and large cargo trailer to haul several tons, and have possession of it for say 5-6 days, interstate move, say 600 miles.

You can find out the cost for your move by going to the Penske website and use their point-to-point cost calculator. My frugal daughter who is married to a USMC pilot has made many long-distance moves using one-way truck rentals. She even hired professional packers for one move.

If you could estimate the size trailer and weight we could help you a significant amount more. IMO a 3/4 ton ot 1 ton gas truck would most likely suit you better. Dont get me wrong I LOVE my Duramax but I payed dearly for it. YMMV

It's been 15 years since my last automobile purchase and I've never bought one specifically in Washington. I'll soon be spending around $10,000-15,000 cash, probably in a private deal. I'm in the market for a strong towing capacity 4x4 pickup from around late 1990s to early 2000s in excellent condition. Probably diesel. I've never owned a diesel. This is for a pending long distance out-of-state move, where I will be hauling a lot of personal property in a cargo trailer. Also advice in towing, capacity, towing trailers, etc. since I have no experience there.

Any and all relevant advice from shopping, buying, licensing, what to look for specifically in brands and models, or tips on if you know of one for sale are all appreciated.

Editing this to narrow the discussion. I've considered and will not be:
* Hiring movers
* Using a POD
* Renting a truck or trailer from Pensky or Uhaul.

The reasons are not particularly important, but basically I want a truck, I've wanted a truck, I have the resources to get a truck... and renting will cost somewhere around 1/3 to 1/5 the price of a truck so it makes better sense to just take the plunge now and invest in a truck vs. renting. So please no more suggestions on PODs, renting a truck, hiring people, etc. These have been considered and not suggestions I'll entertain.

Thanks!
This sounds like a job for a Big Ford F-series 150-350 w/7.3L Diesel.
That engine was actually designed and built by International-Harvester.
Unlike Detroit's attempts with Chevy, I-H got it right the first time.
The engine was used for years over a wide range of applications and they've always worked well (including the big "JH" U-Haul truck, which was based on an International 1654/4664 cab-chassis).
A bunch were made in its lifetime and a lot of 'em went into Fords. Parts and the knowledge to keep 'em running for a long time is still plentiful.
….and just so you know, when you cut me, I bleed Hugger Orange.
So for me to endorse an "F'd Over Rebuilt Dodge", is something. But back in the days when I worked as a mechanic, they were usually the choice of power and they never let anyone down.

Dean

Last Edited:
I've done that move. The answer depends upon how much stuff you have and your need for a truck after the move. My move was to Washington from California. I needed the truck to pull a 5th wheel that we used pretty regularly since 2011. We lived in the 5th wheel for 3 months instead of renting so we could hone-down what neighborhood we wanted to move to without having the expense of temporary housing or having a hard time-line. We got our CA house ready, moved the trailer to the approximate area to which we wanted to move, and house-hunted. Towing capacity, diesel hands down. You can't go wrong with Ford or GMC.

As for the move of stuff, we got pods. Even at over-60, we could physically pack up our stuff in Pods on our schedule (we needed 3 for a 4 bedroom house full of stuff), including the gun safe. It wend into storage, was moved to final destination, and out of storage all on our schedule. None of this it all-has-to-be-done-on-this-date stuff, can be done gradually, and WAY cheaper than hiring a mover. We bought acreage, so still need the truck even though we are through with the 5th wheel. For that price, though, it will be hard to find a good diesel in WA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top