JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A fellow I know posted on Facebook that he was buying a new truck. One-ton crew cab, long bed, tow package, 5th wheel hitch, lift, big gas engine, custom wheels, etc.. Then he asks for suggestions about paint color for the wheels, to go with the glossy black paint on the body.

The best answer was: "Since it isn't a diesel, choose the color that goes best with your high heels and purse."

Don't buy brand new.. worst idea ever.
I paid 16k-
2003 Ram 2500 6speed manual 5.9 Cummins
These trucks are going for 25k and up. Liquid assets are the best. New trucks have no value to gain.

A446B248-97C3-441A-90EE-4C57B4FAFCE7.jpeg

Don't buy brand new.. worst idea ever.
I paid 16k-
2003 Ram 2500 6speed manual 5.9 Cummins
These trucks are going for 25k and up. Liquid assets are the best. New trucks have no value to gain.

View attachment 1376010
Some brands make more sense to buy new vs used... Toyota Tacomas and 4Runners come to mind. Used can end up costing more due to higher interest rates for borrowing and their resale is insane. A 2002 Tacoma can push 20k. I know I could trade in my 5 year old Tacoma and get 1k less than I paid new.

And hey, diesels are the only trucks that need a jacket in the winter and special babysitting to behave ;)

Meh, I know it's in good fun, but there's good reasons to go with a gasser over diesel these days. $1.50/gallon cheaper fuel being one of them.

The maintenance on my '13 F350 6.7 is horrendous. Expensive oil changes, epxensive fuel filters, expensive brakes, etc. and when things do break, expensive repairs. I just put $5k into a new turbo and exhaust manifolds, plus $1k into new brakes at all 4 corners.

If you aren't towing up and down the mountains a lot, the gasser will get it done. It will still do the mountains, just at 5mpg & 50mph.

I love my diesel and the torque is intoxicating and it simply doesn't care when I hook up 14k pounds to it, but I just bought a new Bronco so I can keep the miles off it and extend it's life.

Last Edited:
It is insane what a new truck costs! :mad:

*please excuse this old man yelling at the clouds*
It truly is. To replace my truck which I gave $65k OTD 10 years ago, it would be over $90k plus taxes! One more reason it's staying parked until I need it to do work stuff.

Checking the diesel option box adds $10-13k to the sticker alone. Add the fuel and maintenance costs, most people won't tow enough to recover that initial investment unless you keep it 15-20 years.

I figure I could replace the engine about 6 times before it becomes more economical to buy a new one. That next one will likely be a gasser. Hopefully some dillwad doesn't slam into me and total it, because outside of that, I plan to keep it forever.

I can't imagine what people's payments are on these things with current interest rates.

It truly is. To replace my truck which I gave $65k OTD 10 years ago, it would be over $90k plus taxes! One more reason it's staying parked until I need it to do work stuff.

Checking the diesel option box adds $10-13k to the sticker alone. Add the fuel and maintenance costs, most people won't tow enough to recover that initial investment unless you keep it 15-20 years.

I figure I could replace the engine about 6 times before it becomes more economical to buy a new one. That next one will likely be a gasser. Hopefully some dillwad doesn't slam into me and total it, because outside of that, I plan to keep it forever.

I can't imagine what people's payments are on these things with current interest rates.
I have a buddy who just bought a brand new quad cab long bed Duramax he paid close to 100,000 and his payments are at $1200 a month. I'm $300 a month with my payment and got 3% interest. I actually called him an idiot and he laughed, lol.

I bought my 2001 F250 4x4 standard cab 7.3L diesel in 2008. It had about 270,000 miles on it. It was originally on a 5-year lease from Ford to a tire store chain, and appears to have been used to tow a trailer between Salt Lake City and Saint George, amassing just over 250,000 miles, or 50,000 mile a year!

It was being offered by a used car lot that took it in trade for a SUV, and they had no idea of how to market it. They agreed to sell it for $7,000 because I paid cash.

When I bought it, it had a slight knock, but I couldn't figure out why. I could tell it wasn't a bearing, so I decided to drive it until it blew up. Eight years later, I felt that it had earned an overhaul, so I pulled it apart. The knock was a blown exhaust gasket!

Since it was apart, I had it bored .020 oversize and put a kit in it. It has never given me any trouble.

My wife wants me to get a new (or at least newer) truck, but I like this one, and since I added a service body, I would have to spend a lot of money to get any replacement vehicle up to the utility I get from this one, it doesn't make sense.

I bought my 2001 F250 4x4 standard cab 7.3L diesel in 2008. It had about 270,000 miles on it. It was originally on a 5-year lease from Ford to a tire store chain, and appears to have been used to tow a trailer between Salt Lake City and Saint George, amassing just over 250,000 miles, or 50,000 mile a year!

It was being offered by a used car lot that took it in trade for a SUV, and they had no idea of how to market it. They agreed to sell it for $7,000 because I paid cash.

When I bought it, it had a slight knock, but I couldn't figure out why. I could tell it wasn't a bearing, so I decided to drive it until it blew up. Eight years later, I felt that it had earned an overhaul, so I pulled it apart. The knock was a blown exhaust gasket!

Since it was apart, I had it bored .020 oversize and put a kit in it. It has never given me any trouble.

My wife wants me to get a new (or at least newer) truck, but I like this one, and since I added a service body, I would have to spend a lot of money to get any replacement vehicle up to the utility I get from this one, it doesn't make sense.
My 5.9 has 300k but it's been given a clean bill of health by my mechanic. Just spent 3k rebuilding the front end/ center support bearing. Diesel life ain't cheap. I haul a lot of cars so a diesel was needed. I always had to borrow my buddies trucks when I needed to tow something. Once I pay it off I'm going to take out a personal loan and make it a drag truck… always wanted a 1000hp diesel. Make super car owners mad.

My 5.9 has 300k but it's been given a clean bill of health by my mechanic. Just spent 3k rebuilding the front end/ center support bearing. Diesel life ain't cheap. I haul a lot of cars so a diesel was needed. I always had to borrow my buddies trucks when I needed to tow something. Once I pay it off I'm going to take out a personal loan and make it a drag truck… always wanted a 1000hp diesel. Make super car owners mad.

Mine was my dad's truck. he died a couple years ago and I bought it from my mom. Just turned 112k miles. Should be good for awhile.

I had a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi. Bought it when it had 20k on it.
Darn thing cost me as much to own it as it did to buy it. I just sold it for $11k with 220k in the meter.
And I'm glad it's gone! I'll never own another Dodge again.

I had a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi. Bought it when it had 20k on it.
Darn thing cost me as much to own it as it did to buy it. I just sold it for $11k with 220k in the meter.
And I'm glad it's gone! I'll never own another Dodge again.

I'd never own a Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler gas vehicle but the Cummins 5.9 is one of the best diesel motors ever built. 06 was the last year for them. They are hit and miss since then.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top