JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love the towing capabilities of a diesel, but I cannot bring myself to own a vehicle that requires Diesel Exhaust Fluid. If you're not familiar with it, look into it for a good head shaker. The concept is even more retarded than the name.

I love the towing capabilities of a diesel, but I cannot bring myself to own a vehicle that requires Diesel Exhaust Fluid. If you're not familiar with it, look into it for a good head shaker. The concept is even more retarded than the name.

There's a booming business of yanking that nonsense out.

Yep. Thanks, Obama.

I dread the day when I have to replace all that crap. I've already had to replace the DEF heater element.

There used to be. Another alphabet agency that needs to go away, the EPA, has been going after the manufacturers of the tuners and parts that make that possible. It's no longer really feasible to delete.

There's a few shops around here that do them. I
am glad my pickup is pre DEF though.

90k trucks? 1200 a month payments? This makes no sense to me. If you are using it to generate income then sure I see that. But outside of that, holy moly that's a lot of $. I would just get a well maintained older tundra and drive it worry free to 500k+ miles or whatever. Some of these have over a million miles with original engine and tranny.

Last Edited:
90k trucks? 1200 a month payments? This makes no sense to me. If you are using it to generate income then sure I see that. But outside of that, holy moly that's a lot of $. I would just get a well maintained older tundra and drive it worry free to 500k+ miles or whatever. Some of these have over a million miles with original engine and tranny.
Payload and towing requirements vary for people. No Tundra (or other 1/2 ton) would fit my current needs.

I know it's just one case, but I had a 2002 Tundra. I put a new engine in it @ 80k and was going to have to put a new tranny in it at 120k. I got the F350 instead.

One plus about the heavy duty price explosion is it's made my truck worth a whole lot more. If I did want to get a new one, I wouldn't be out much on this one.

And if bank owned your insurance would be $800+/mo?
I pay $40/mo on my old Toyota.. low deductible, uninsured motorist, rental, towing etc. etc. from State Farm.

I bought my 2001 F250 4x4 standard cab 7.3L diesel in 2008. It had about 270,000 miles on it. It was originally on a 5-year lease from Ford to a tire store chain, and appears to have been used to tow a trailer between Salt Lake City and Saint George, amassing just over 250,000 miles, or 50,000 mile a year!

It was being offered by a used car lot that took it in trade for a SUV, and they had no idea of how to market it. They agreed to sell it for $7,000 because I paid cash.

When I bought it, it had a slight knock, but I couldn't figure out why. I could tell it wasn't a bearing, so I decided to drive it until it blew up. Eight years later, I felt that it had earned an overhaul, so I pulled it apart. The knock was a blown exhaust gasket!

Since it was apart, I had it bored .020 oversize and put a kit in it. It has never given me any trouble.

My wife wants me to get a new (or at least newer) truck, but I like this one, and since I added a service body, I would have to spend a lot of money to get any replacement vehicle up to the utility I get from this one, it doesn't make sense.
Update the inside. Spend the money on new seats and carpet for her comfort. After all, the view from inside is the same in ALL trucks. You got a good deal on that truck! Congratulations. How many miles on it now?

I know it's just one case, but I had a 2002 Tundra. I put a new engine in it @ 80k and was going to have to put a new tranny in it at 120k. I got the F350 instead.
Interesting. My 5.7l has 367k miles on it and I have every maintenance record since new. Only repairs have been secondary air pump and head gaskets in 367k. Honestly it feels and drives like a truck with 50k miles. Surprised no alternator or typical stuff that fails with vehicles. It has been well maintained though.

I hear you on has to fit your needs. 5.7l 4x4 long bed tundra towing capacity is 10,100 which may not be enough for some poeple's needs. Torque is 401 ft lbs which is going to be less than a diesel of course but comparable to many gas engines I would guess.

Update the inside. Spend the money on new seats and carpet for her comfort. After all, the view from inside is the same in ALL trucks. You got a good deal on that truck! Congratulations. How many miles on it now?
She almost never rides in it, since it is a work truck. I am going to rebuild the seat, since it is starting to sag a bit. I'll be putting a new windshield in it because the original one has too many little chips and scratches in it.

It just passed 380,000 miles. It has a service body, lots of tools, and is normally right at rated GVW.

I have had several diesel trucks, all were spendy to drive and maintain, but they did their jobs as required! Would I own one now, not so much. My 93 First Gen. Was the last and best of them, but compared to today's trucks, ancient! Now I drive a Sprinter 3500 Diesel and did the DEF delete and a bunch of other stuff, and soon, it will likely get a new engine and trans, most likely the OM-606 and GM 4l80!
For what I paid, the Sprinter is the best thing going, unless your pulling a big heavy arse trailer, I got you all beat for internal space!

I have had several diesel trucks, all were spendy to drive and maintain, but they did their jobs as required! Would I own one now, not so much. My 93 First Gen. Was the last and best of them, but compared to today's trucks, ancient! Now I drive a Sprinter 3500 Diesel and did the DEF delete and a bunch of other stuff, and soon, it will likely get a new engine and trans, most likely the OM-606 and GM 4l80!
For what I paid, the Sprinter is the best thing going, unless your pulling a big heavy arse trailer, I got you all beat for internal space!
A buddy of mine used a Sprinter for his carpentry business. Said it got crazy good gas milage. I've since heard that the 5-cylinder Benz motor is the one you want. Not available for some years. Something like that.

She almost never rides in it, since it is a work truck. I am going to rebuild the seat, since it is starting to sag a bit. I'll be putting a new windshield in it because the original one has too many little chips and scratches in it.

It just passed 380,000 miles. It has a service body, lots of tools, and is normally right at rated GVW.
Then just tell your goal is to hit 500k miles on it. Then you might think about it. That'll give you another 10 years or so. LOL

A buddy of mine used a Sprinter for his carpentry business. Said it got crazy good gas milage. I've since heard that the 5-cylinder Benz motor is the one you want. Not available for some years. Something like that.
Mine has the newer 3.0l V-6 Turbo, a whole whopping 130 HP factory! It flat sucked stock, so I did the 'Merican Thang and hopped her up good. Took off the DEF system, hollowed out the cat, did a turbo and intake, ECU program, Throttle Program, cat back exhaust, and a Detroit Tru-Trac. She now makes 235 HP, gets 25+ MPG, does 90 between Bend and Winnimucca, and is rock solid dependable!
If I blow this motor, the Benz OM-606 is the most sexy of all euro diesels, they rev like a gas engine, pull like a Cummins and still get way better fuel millage then a gas engine! The "Street" build of this engine is over 450Hp, and they can go way further if you do the bottom end and head work! It's way cheaper too!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top