JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I go to the first training session fairly soon. I was surprised to get an invite, considering I forgot I signed up for it. Can't really tell you how long it has been. But I am looking forward to having a decent place to shoot that is a reasonable distance from my home.:)

Just got my invite email after about 2 years of waiting. Unfortunately I probably won't join since we are contemplating a relocation. At they have the option of delaying instead of just a one time chance to join.

A member from TCGC told me that they hope to add 500 new members immediately.
Seems like there were about 50 people at the orientation I went to so I imagine after
a year the invites will start slowing down.

They have a membership cap of about 5,500 (I think). About 10% of members don't renew each year which is where the 500 number comes from.

Also, they introduced a safety training program for all new members which limits them to adding around 100 or so members each month.

They have a membership cap of about 5,500 (I think). About 10% of members don't renew each year which is where the 500 number comes from.

Also, they introduced a safety training program for all new members which limits them to adding around 100 or so members each month.

My understanding is that they slowed down membership while they reworked their safety program after a round or two made it's way out of the action rifle range (which remains closed, but they are working on relocating it).

My understanding is that they slowed down membership while they reworked their safety program after a round or two made it's way out of the action rifle range (which remains closed, but they are working on relocating it).
That's a lot of work to find a lost round, dig it up and then move it, no wonder they're taking so long! ;)

Went to the first registration meeting last night... safety is the major thing there.
I liked what I saw, it was a lot like a range I went to down in San Jose, but was run by the county.
I am pretty happy, this is fairly close to my home, hope to do more shooting this year.

I went to the meeting last night. Wow, that was a long meeting about safety. I thought it was interesting that they have you pay before you get to hear about the club. I'm joining since it's only 15 min. from my house and I can shoot my new Noveske rifle. Can't do that at my other club (PRPC).

Does anyone know what's happening with membership at TCGC? Last I heard there was a 1000+ person wait list.

Thanks

I did get in contact with them. I applied in early 2014 and in late 2014 I was 900th of their 1800 waiting list. I anticipate being able to join in summer or late summer.

BTW, they state that people leave all the time so while it is slow, don't give up.

Also Douglass Ridge is a great range and if I were closer, I would certainly join them.

Here is why I only shoot at Tri County (for work only) and it may make some angry, but it is my 2 cents.

1) Tri County does not allow anyone to teach at their ranges for any kind of compensation. Was told this in an e-mail by one of the executive board members. Evidently, they don't like money, so they don't want to charge a business a range rental fee in order to use their site and possibly attract new members. As someone who is starting a business to teach more people to be deadly to bad guys with their guns, this was a deal breaker on membership or supporting them.

2) The longest range they have is 600 yards. That doesn't work for me.

3) They are obsessed with safety to the point that practicing any actual skills besides breathing, sight picture and trigger press is an exercise in arguing with cranky RO's, instead of shooting practice.

4) As a LE professional, I can draw from the holster when I train there on Wednesday, but if I show up on Saturday to practice, and I haven't had done one of their matches that makes it so I am "certified" to draw from the holster, I am not allowed to shoot while drawing.

5) They have a square range mentality that makes it impossible to sharpen any gun-fighting skills (which are complimentary, but different from shooting skills

6) Other clubs don't have a waiting list. It seems antithetical to the support of 2A by not including as many people as want to be in the club. More is better in this case. Other clubs, like DRRC, seem to not have this issue.

Overall, they underwhelmed me. So I make the drive to DRRC and I am a member there instead.

Here is why I only shoot at Tri County (for work only) and it may make some angry, but it is my 2 cents.

1) Tri County does not allow anyone to teach at their ranges for any kind of compensation. Was told this in an e-mail by one of the executive board members. Evidently, they don't like money, so they don't want to charge a business a range rental fee in order to use their site and possibly attract new members. As someone who is starting a business to teach more people to be deadly to bad guys with their guns, this was a deal breaker on membership or supporting them.

Unlike the majority of gun clubs in this country, TCGC complies with it's non profit incorporation status, which prohibits it from leasing or renting any part of the facility to an outside entity. Any classes taught at the club are open to club members and member guests only, this is also and IRS regulation.
As you may have noted from the existence of a wait list, attracting new members is not something the club has to work at.
At this point there is one organization teaching concealed carry classes with live fire at the club and they will be expanding the offerings.

2) The longest range they have is 600 yards. That doesn't work for me.

3) They are obsessed with safety to the point that practicing any actual skills besides breathing, sight picture and trigger press is an exercise in arguing with cranky RO's, instead of shooting practice.

Drawing from the holster, positional shooting, working with barricades/cover, rapid fire, shooting on the move and just about any firearm manipulation I would like to practice are allowed on the action range as long as you don't break the 180, point the muzzle over the berm, point the gun at a person, fire a rifle with a typical rifle cartridge or have a person down range from you.

4) As a LE professional, I can draw from the holster when I train there on Wednesday, but if I show up on Saturday to practice, and I haven't had done one of their matches that makes it so I am "certified" to draw from the holster, I am not allowed to shoot while drawing.

Unless you are action range certified you can't use the action range unsupervised, and that is the only part of the club suitable for drawing from the holster in practice. The certification process teaches the rules and skills necessary to use that range. The majority of major safety issues at the club have been from "LE professionals" so having a badge does not give anyone a pass on the requirements.

5) They have a square range mentality that makes it impossible to sharpen any gun-fighting skills (which are complimentary, but different from shooting skills

Plenty of other professionals, including me, will disagree with you. TCGC is a civilian range surrounded by houses and businesses, and it is what it is.

6) Other clubs don't have a waiting list. It seems antithetical to the support of 2A by not including as many people as want to be in the club. More is better in this case. Other clubs, like DRRC, seem to not have this issue.

Other clubs are also waking up the the incredibly low average skill and experience level of the typical person joining a gun club these days. TCGC started an orientation which included a test on the rules and a live fire shooting/range procedure test. The standards for marksmanship and familiarization with range procedure are VERY basic yet 50% fail and need to be trained up to standard before being allowed unsupervised access to the range . The process is time consuming and man power intensive causing a bottle neck in the processing of new members.
The club exists to serve it's members, by IRS regulations and state statute. Allowing uncontrolled, large influxes of new members endangers the club, it's members and the surrounding community. Allowing too many members into a club with finite facilities causes overcrowding and general dissatisfaction to all the members. Allowing in "everyone" would mean going from 5500 members to well over 10,000 in under 2 years.

Overall, they underwhelmed me. So I make the drive to DRRC and I am a member there instead.

See, I knew there would be at least one person who would get pissed off.

If the people teaching the CCW class at TCGC are doing it for free; then great for them. If they are charging a fee, then they are profiting.

When I hear statements like " incredibly low average skill and experience level of the typical person joining a gun club these days." It tells me a lot. Treating everyone that could be a member like a noob is condescending. I didn't like being talked down to or micromanaged by a follower of the Fudd school of gun handling. I found this to be the case more often than not during the times I have been a guest at TCGC (lots of invites to "help" others learn).

And when I talk about cranky ROs, I mean it. I hate chamber flag Nazis and Fudds who are afraid of their guns. That is the vibe the club gives off to me every time I have been invited there.

Which I why I make the drive to DRRC. I can shoot in peace without someone bugging me about a f@%$#ing chamber flag.

When people ask, I tell them my opinion. Like I said, my two cents.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top