JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Part of this is what you choose to do or think. I had a range officer jump on me because I didn't have a chamber flag in my action. Thing is...I did. It is a dual port action and the flag was on the other side from where he was standing. I moved the flag to the other side of the action and didn't give it another thought. Could have been pissed off, but why bother. Life is too short to be pissy about the actions of others.

Excellent instructors on the action range. Very nice place overall. I learned some extremely important safety and accuracy skills. I just couldn't get over being yelled at one in 20 visits for non safety things like using the wrong targets, not having my badge visable, firing 2 rounds in a row a little bit too fast one time. Not a friendly talking too. Not a hey let me give you a hand or lets chat for a minute for a first time offense. Yelling drill instrutor style threats to pull my membership. 3 ROs to stay away from. I would plan my visits to avoid them. The rest were outstanding and very knowledgeable. Glad to make room for someone else to learn.

Congratulations T, make sure to sign up for the action range class and cert. Ask about discount steel sillouetts.

Jr, I'd figure out schedules through conversation and just general observation.

I don't need to feel like I'm getting yelled at by my parents and I'm 5yrs. old.

Those are the rare days, but they can happen anywhere.

I've been a member for a month or so now, but I haven't had a chance to make it out there to go shooting. Out of curiosity, when they yell at you, is it typically warranted? For example, a firearm pointed above backstop has a very high likelihood that the bullet will drop in a populated area. Or is it something that requires a stern talking rather than a yell, but receives a yell, like not placing a chamber flag in the firearm?

Last Edited:
I've run into ROs several times and never had a problem. They are mostly checking to see if I have my Tricounty ID. I did see one rip into an instructor because they went 10 minutes past the posted time the range was supposed to close. I thought it was done in an unnecessarily rude way.

Last Edited:
I've been a member for a month or so now, but I haven't had a chance to make it out there to go shooting. Out of curiosity, when they yell at you, is it typically warranted? For example, a firearm pointed above backstop has a very high likelihood that the bullet will drop in a populated area. Or is it something that requires a stern talking rather than a yell, but receives a yell, like not placing a chamber flag in the firearm?

By far and away most of the RO's are really nice, even when correcting......the most recent one that kinda chapped me a bit from an RO was this fall when I had a shotgun barrel I swapped out on the bench and when I went to put it away (separate from the firearm, with a chamber flag in it (which I was trying to be a bit overkill anyway)), I was spoken to about having my muzzle in the air, I thought it was kinda petty. In the end, we agreed to disagree, but I really wasn't too impressed about the way it went down. And no, I wasn't really 'yelled' at, but I felt like it and I don't feel like I get all 'butt hurt' easily.

You'll love it a Tri-County, it's all in the name of safety and we can all learn more, sometimes, even my delivery sucks, so I roll with it and move on, though it'll still irritate me.........

By far and away most of the RO's are really nice, even when correcting......the most recent one that kinda chapped me a bit from an RO was this fall when I had a shotgun barrel I swapped out on the bench and when I went to put it away (separate from the firearm, with a chamber flag in it (which I was trying to be a bit overkill anyway)), I was spoken to about having my muzzle in the air

Wait, you had an unattached barrel pointed in the air, and he spoke to you about it? That isn't even a firearm! That's like someone reprimanding you for having your loaded magazine pointed skyward.

Wait, you had an unattached barrel pointed in the air, and he spoke to you about it? That isn't even a firearm! That's like someone reprimanding you for having your loaded magazine pointed skyward.

Yep, we agreed to disagree, I've moved on, I'm not going to let it bother me...there are bigger fish to fry.

I attended the membership meeting on the rules and reasons Wednesday. It all sounded reasonable to me. The Google aerial map of the surrounding area with the red distance rings made it pretty clear why they have serious concerns about rounds going off the range. I still have to wait until July 2 for my testing before I am a full member.
It was a full house and I suspect several NWFA posters were also in attendance. I expected to see some comments today.

Congratulations T, make sure to sign up for the action range class and cert. Ask about discount steel sillouetts.

Jr, I'd figure out schedules through conversation and just general observation.

Thanks and I asked about the action range and 95 people currently on the waiting list and they put no more 12 in the class and no scheduled action range training. The next wait begins and I thought the class was informative. The rules are not that far off from Clark Rifles with the exception of cases firearms.

The news letter came out. If you want the Action Rifle range has re-opened. There are a couple of new rules. You do need a certification to use this range - those previously certified need to make themselves familiar with the new rules.

New Member Story
I have been going on Mondays with a buddy to get ready for Project Appleseed. We are using the Conventional Pistol range with our Ruger 10/22 Rifles. As we are getting out of the car I can see the range is cold - the red lights are on. Catch something from the corner of my eye - the member is carrying the yellow flag along with his targets to set them up. I haven't been a member that long (Jan) so I am thinking what did I miss. When he came back up I asked, he said he had been a member all of 45 minutes and wasn't quite certain. There is a loop in the middle of the firing line - just in front of the scorers stand - for the flag. I hope he didn't feel too embarrassed.

The most popular ranges (plural?) seem to be the Short Distance Pistol Range - these are the containers which were modified and are located just before the action bays. There is just a tiny sign separating the action bay area and these. You do not need special certification. Every time I am down there, I see at least one person using them. I hope to see more of them go in. And frankly in place of Action bays 12 -13- 14.
I was on bay 10 last Saturday for IDPA and got hit twice. A fifty yard long, 25 yard wide bay and I got hit twice. The bullets hit gravel berm on the and then pop up and over into bay 10. It is also possible that the shooter hit the deck (floor) and that caused the bullet to fragment and some bits pop over into bay 10. What stuck to me was part of the copper jacket, I didn't find the 2nd item.

Anyone shooting 22 Silhouettes ? Could you explain how that works? I do not find enjoyment putting holes in paper. There is something satisfying about the 'ting of steel.

Thanks,

If you're referring to the silhouette range you can shoot pistol caliber carbines or black powder firearms at that range.

I frequently shoot 22lr in a rifle and 357 in a lever action at that range...quite a bit of fun.

You do need to set up the targets yourself but they are at various distances. You can also set up some paper targets for sighting in.

If you want to shoot a spinning target (22lr only) there is a steel backstop that you raise @ 25 yards (right side of the range) that you need to put your spinner under.

I've been a member at TCGC for 17 years; in all that time, I can recall only one RO ever being rude. I don't know if that particular RO is a permanent hard-case or if he was just having an off day, but once in 17 years isn't too bad.

Now, I don't get talked to by the range officers very often - mostly it's when I have my son with me and they ask if I've filled out the guest or minor waivers. I suspect that if you follow the rules and treat the property with care, they won't pester you.

Jim

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads