JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
See, I knew there would be at least one person who would get pissed off

So let me get this straight...
Lange22250's rational, point-by-point address to your rant is your definition of being pissed off, yet you can show illogical rage toward a chamber flag and that's OK?
Must be because you are an LE professional.
You want pissed off? Ok, here you go...
Get off your damn high horse about being some kind of Uber-trained tactical assassin, with mad skills and a charming personality, and take a look at reality.
I'm sure you see, every day, differing skill sets amongst your colleagues and the public at large. And I'm assuming you realize the inherent need to keep all shooters and ranges safe.
So why, as a LE professional, would you get your panties in a twist at the thought of a range that practices and preaches safety??
I'd think that would be something you, as the professional that you are,
would embrace and defend, not ridicule and blame.
Listen, if you have a beef with the club, great. Never darken the doorway again. Go elsewhere, sling lead, and be happy.
But to come across as aggrieved because of thorough safety and training protocols at a gun club just doesn't seem very...professional.

So let me get this straight...
Lange22250's rational, point-by-point address to your rant is your definition of being pissed off, yet you can show illogical rage toward a chamber flag and that's OK?
Must be because you are an LE professional.
You want pissed off? Ok, here you go...
Get off your damn high horse about being some kind of Uber-trained tactical assassin, with mad skills and a charming personality, and take a look at reality.
I'm sure you see, every day, differing skill sets amongst your colleagues and the public at large. And I'm assuming you realize the inherent need to keep all shooters and ranges safe.
So why, as a LE professional, would you get your panties in a twist at the thought of a range that practices and preaches safety??
I'd think that would be something you, as the professional that you are,
would embrace and defend, not ridicule and blame.
Listen, if you have a beef with the club, great. Never darken the doorway again. Go elsewhere, sling lead, and be happy.
But to come across as aggrieved because of thorough safety and training protocols at a gun club just doesn't seem very...professional.
-
do not feed the Trolls ... LOL
He most definitely Trolling . He can't take any of his biatching points to the club board for discussion because they would laugh & ask his to leave . And his continuous main Rant is that he is unable to comprehend the safety use of, and unwilling to use a Chamber Flag when the line goes Cold, or his firearm is left unattended on the Hot Line when asked by an RO ???? . or as he refers to them as ..." Range Nazi's " .
He is also just to lazy to get Action Range Certified to do his OAF training. because If he did, he would have been told the secret TCGC Range Officer password ( Sieg heil ) when greeting the RO on duty .

Went to the initiation meeting/safety briefing yesterday. Very cool place. Safe and sane. Worth the wait. There are 1700 on the waiting list at this time but there are openings so people are getting called every month. If you think you want to be a member, get in the line and hang on. Like I say, worth the wait.

BTW, they give you a chamber flag...

Back in the 80's I was a member of TCGC. Well organized, safe.
87', Moved to Damascus, joined DRRC (only 6 miles away:D)
Currently, a range safety officer, recording secretary, and a member of DRRC board of directors
(where I hear more than I ever wanted to hear about how guns make people do the silliest things:eek:).
While a RO for the pits for a 1000 yard match, I found a perfect 40 cal bullet with grooves.
Somebody at the dynamic range fired it at near 45 degrees elevation for it to reach the 1k pits.
Imagine how far a ND rifle bullet would travel? God forbid! It would leave the club property!

Recently rumored that a LEO fired a ND round over the TCGC berms and into a house.

Factoid: Clark Rifles just spent a $bazoodle$ making their range more bullet resistant after being accused of wounding a downrange resident. $$$ from club members.

Bloomberg and his $millions$ intends to shut down every gun club in America to further his anti Gun agenda.

Expect that Range Safety Officers at all clubs will be more cranky whenever someone misbehaves.
Each club is one bullet away from being shut-down and closed forever.

The other effort we can make is if you take guests and the guests don't take safety seriously, have ADHD about picking up and putting down guns on the bench when told not to, etc - NEVER take said guests back to the range and get them out of there. Been there, done that. Love the guy - but moron. Some people just cannot function on that level.

Recently rumored that a LEO fired a ND round over the TCGC berms and into a house.

Recently is within the last couple of years. - LEO? I can't say, I don't know who made the ND.
It was on the "Action Rifle Range" where people could run-gun with carbines -- Think like a part of 3-gun.

That range is shut down.

If you take a 9mm - and point up at 45degress - what is the range? deadly range?
Into Sherwood? Into Tualatin? Into Threat Dynamics? Walmart? Starbucks?

Add to the fact that many pistols auto load / chamber when a magazine is seated home and how easy it is to have an ND.
I stole this link to illustrate
mg_1150-2.jpg

That looks like an M&P which I know for a fact will go into battery once the mag is driven home. This guy has good finger discipline, but you have to know not everyone does.

Honestly safety on a range doesn't bother me a bit. Learn their rules, follow them. When I want to run and gun there are forests everywhere within a half hour drive. I've never had an ND, but I've been close.

The safety guy was interesting. He made the point that an ND was not a single event, but a chain of actions that occur in order and if you can stop that chain of events, you stop the ND. So rules that you get in the habit of following will tend to make NDs more rare. I like that perspective. Not loading the pistol with the barrel up. Good trigger discipline. Using the chamber flag. Not picking stuff off the bench during cease fire.

Honestly, while you are shooting with others in a place where there are houses all around being extra safe is exactly what you want to be.

Add to the fact that many pistols auto load / chamber when a magazine is seated home and how easy it is to have an ND.
That looks like an M&P which I know for a fact will go into battery once the mag is driven home. This guy has good finger discipline, but you have to know not everyone does.
Where is the muzzle pointing? He would be disqualified at a DRRC 3-gun match.
From the club handbook:
Loaded Firearm -
Do not load any firearm unless it is on the firing line, pointed down range, and the range
has been opened for firing (line declared "HOT").
Aerial Firing -
There shall be no aerial firing of any firearm with the exception of shotguns at allowed
ranges (see Shotgun Range SOPs).
DRRC RSOs will watch that your muzzle is pointed at the impact berm at all times.

I've been a member of TCGC since 1998 and the problem of having too many member applications for the available range space only started a few years ago. I welcomed the new safety instruction and testing, since I had been seeing some alarmingly "casual" gun-handling at the range by newish members (and some of the older ones, too).

As for people who object to the safety rules, they are under no obligation to shoot at TCGC - there are plenty of places where you can go to shoot without any rules at all (apart from state and federal laws). Go in peace (and don't let the range gate hit you on the...). Personally, I LIKE having rules, RO's and the rest; it lets me concentrate on shooting without worrying (too much) about a round coming over the berm.

Finally, the issue of LEO's and gun "skills". This gets a bit tedious, since LEO's are people and, as a result, there are those with "mad gun skills" and those...without. I would not assume that somebody is inherently skilled and safe with a gun just because they wear a badge at work any more than I would assume that somebody is a master mechanic simply because they work at an auto-repair shop.

Gun handling is one of many skills that LEO's must master - to a minimum level - but not all LEO's are master shooters or master gunfighters. In fact, if my observations at the TCGC action range are any indication, LEO's are - on average - no better than the average "civilian" IPSC shooter. That's not a criticism or insult to LEO's, just a recognition that not all of them are interested enough in shooting to become more proficient than necessary.

Jim

DRRC requires Chamber flags too. I have been shooting matches at
TCGC and DRRC for over 25 years. Every range in the area that I have
shot at requires chamber flags at rifle matches. NRA Highpower Rifle
matches have been requiring "Open Bolt Indicators" or chamber flags
for the last 25+ years. Get over yourself you are not that special.
Just because you are a LEO does not make you above the rules.
In my experience, LEOs are the biggest offenders of range safety
rules. I have witnessed a LEO with a chambered round, finger on
the trigger while the range was suppose to be"Safe" and people
were down range! Not all LEOs are jerks I know some
personally and some are great people.

I'm not a member of TCGC, but I slept at home last night!o_O

Most every thing negative I've ever heard or read about TCGC is strongly related to the fact of being located in a suburban (almost urban) area. I can remember back when that was all farm land. I was a member of Clark Rifles for many years and am well aware of what it's like to be a member of a club under siege! It's too bad but it is what it is!

PO'd about a chamber flag! Seriously?!?! I want to be safe from the lowest common denominator of shooting skills.

I have heard of TCGC's rude, grumpy RO's since the clubs inception. I hate a rude RO and deal with them thusly.
"Yes sir, I will certainly comply with your instruction. And, you will certainly speak to me with respect, as I respect you!:)

-
do not feed the Trolls ... LOL
He most definitely Trolling . He can't take any of his biatching points to the club board for discussion because they would laugh & ask his to leave . And his continuous main Rant is that he is unable to comprehend the safety use of, and unwilling to use a Chamber Flag when the line goes Cold, or his firearm is left unattended on the Hot Line when asked by an RO ???? . or as he refers to them as ..." Range Nazi's " .
He is also just to lazy to get Action Range Certified to do his OAF training. because If he did, he would have been told the secret TCGC Range Officer password ( Sieg heil ) when greeting the RO on duty .

Not sure that Deebow was trolling, precisely. This forum is certainly the place to unload your troubles and dislikes legitimate or not. Makes things more interesting for us all! For instance, if Deebow's post hadn't caused controversy I wouldn't have been able to read your, and the other, fine dissertation's! I rather enjoyed Deebow's too!
It would be so boring it would make my skin crawl to only see, "Which sights should I mod my Glock 19 Gen-X with?" constantly!

BTW, Are sights even worthwhile on a Glock? :D

Last Edited:
Here's a new one. I was heading to the 50-100yd range(it was closed) and right before I was stopped, I checked my speed, I was slightly over 10mph's so I let of the pedal, then some guy on a riding mower stopped me for speeding:s0001: this place is no joke when it comes to safety.

Here's a new one. I was heading to the 50-100yd range(it was closed) and right before I was stopped, I checked my speed, I was slightly over 10mph's so I let of the pedal, then some guy on a riding mower stopped me for speeding:s0001: this place is no joke when it comes to safety.

It sort of smarts when stuff like that happens, but those are the rules and they are not onerous.

I've been a member at Tri-County for years, I left DRRC to be a member, partly because DRRC was quite a drive and Tri-County was right near the office and partly because I thought DRRC was too stodgy/fuddy at the time........

DRRC - Please understand this was MY impression when I left....it was mostly 'hunting' type guys out there, the action pistol or AR rifle folks weren't really welcomed, there were some, but if you wanted to shoot your AR at more than 1 round ever couple of seconds, you'd get talked to for shooting 'rapid fire'.

Please note: I've since been back to DRRC for a CMP shoot, they've really opened up, and it was a pleasure to see. People open carrying, cheerful and helpful.

Tri-County - Tri-County appeared much more open with many more disciplines, which is great. However, over the last few years things have gotten a bit more 'ticky-tacky', no more open shotgun shoots, more strictness on guests, muzzle rules and firearms casing/bench rules can be a pain, etc. I'm know it's in the name of safety and I'm sure it's due in part to the lawyers/risk of being where Tri-County is.......

That said: I'm still glad I'm a member, the people are awesome, and most of the RSO's are great. My only frustration is when you get the occasional grouchy/preachy/yelling RSO. I'm a pretty safe guy, but there's always something we can learn and I don't mind being educated and/or corrected. But I don't need to feel like I'm getting yelled at by my parents and I'm 5yrs. old.

Those are the rare days, but they can happen anywhere.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top