JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just want a place I can occasionally set up some steel, or shoot from a holster, or set up my rifle target at 36 yards, or actually dump a mag every now and then, or advance toward a target while shooting. All the ranges here have a list of rules that do more than keep idiots from hurting people...they keep experienced shooters from getting actual needed practice. I still enjoy sitting at a bench and shooting paper at 100 yards very slowly, but that is fairly worthless.

I was on the wait list a year and a half and was accepted a couple of weeks ago. Went to orientation last night and they do take safety very seriously after a round left the grounds in the action rifle range, which has since been closed.
They said they quit accepting new members for close to a year while they developed a new safety program. So hopefully anyone here who is on the list will hear from them before too long.

Last Edited:
I just want a place I can occasionally set up some steel, or shoot from a holster, or set up my rifle target at 36 yards, or actually dump a mag every now and then, or advance toward a target while shooting. All the ranges here have a list of rules that do more than keep idiots from hurting people...they keep experienced shooters from getting actual needed practice. I still enjoy sitting at a bench and shooting paper at 100 yards very slowly, but that is fairly worthless.

TCGC is NOT the place for that, for sure.

TCGC is NOT the place for that, for sure.
For pistol caliber they have the action range where you can set up and shoot steel and draw from holster. You do need to get certified for that but it's not a big deal.

The action range is also where they shoot speed steel, IDPA, etc.; and you can draw from a holster (centerfire handguns) when shooting that competition.

The action range is also where you can do a mag dump if that's your thing.

Now on rifle, until that action range is open, you are limited in distances.

Def. not tcgc. Idk tri county is pretty lame I got my invite but seriously thinking about declining. I hate how ro's treat some of the members and/or guests. I once stepped over the yellow line at the 100yd rifle range to walk around someone while the range was cold, and immediately got chewed out by a member and ro. I wanted to say something back, but I was a guest and didnt want my buddy get his membership revoked.

Jerk-weed RO's (who more than a few times made up their own rules, or misquoted the actual rules) are the main reason I decided to let my membership expire after 3-yrs there. Just punching paper gets really boring, like after 10 minutes.

Yes it does get boring...

Jerk-weed RO's (who more than a few times made up their own rules, or misquoted the actual rules) are the main reason I decided to let my membership expire after 3-yrs there. Just punching paper gets really boring, like after 10 minutes.
Since you used to be a member, you do realize that it's a private club and has monthly meetings with a process to bring problems, complaints, etc. to the board?

When I've attended the monthly meetings there is very low turnout for a club with over 5,000 members. I don't think that I ever saw more than about 30-40 members at the meetings. So I'm guessing that you never brought a problem with an RSO to the Executive RSO or the board.

That's not to say that some RSO's don't know 100% of the rules for each range but their primary job is to ensure the safety for all members and secondarily to prevent damage to the range.

I've had a couple of occasions (at the action range) where the RSO did not think that my set-up of steel targets was proper (I am action range certified and have a speed steel tag that allows me to set-up steel away from the berms). Rather than getting confrontational I explained the tag and re-arranged my targets to conform to the base rules. He came by later to apologize as after he left me he met with the Exec RSO who explained to him the tag.

BTW, have you ever seen how quickly overhead baffles get shot up by "experienced" people? If I were an RSO (a thankless job if you ask me) I would be very leery of anyone who didn't follow the rules exactly.

Regarding other ranges, before joining TCGC I looked at an area reachable within 90 minutes of Vancouver and couldn't find any other range that would allow me to draw from a holster, shoot my own steel and was also safe. For me, I will take safety 1st having watched shooters at some of the other ranges that are more lax about safety.

Now if your thing is shooting steel with a rifle (not a pistol caliber) or doing a mag dump other than at the action range or shooting targets other than paper and approved steel then it's probably not the place for you. I would love to be able to use a dueling tree or other non-approved steel targets but it's a compromise that I can live with...if you know of any other range in the area that would allow all of what I would love to do please let me know because I would love the additional abilities.

Since you used to be a member, you do realize that it's a private club and has monthly meetings with a process to bring problems, complaints, etc. to the board?

When I've attended the monthly meetings there is very low turnout for a club with over 5,000 members. I don't think that I ever saw more than about 30-40 members at the meetings. So I'm guessing that you never brought a problem with an RSO to the Executive RSO or the board.

That's not to say that some RSO's don't know 100% of the rules for each range but their primary job is to ensure the safety for all members and secondarily to prevent damage to the range.

I've had a couple of occasions (at the action range) where the RSO did not think that my set-up of steel targets was proper (I am action range certified and have a speed steel tag that allows me to set-up steel away from the berms). Rather than getting confrontational I explained the tag and re-arranged my targets to conform to the base rules. He came by later to apologize as after he left me he met with the Exec RSO who explained to him the tag.

BTW, have you ever seen how quickly overhead baffles get shot up by "experienced" people? If I were an RSO (a thankless job if you ask me) I would be very leery of anyone who didn't follow the rules exactly.

Regarding other ranges, before joining TCGC I looked at an area reachable within 90 minutes of Vancouver and couldn't find any other range that would allow me to draw from a holster, shoot my own steel and was also safe. For me, I will take safety 1st having watched shooters at some of the other ranges that are more lax about safety.

Now if your thing is shooting steel with a rifle (not a pistol caliber) or doing a mag dump other than at the action range or shooting targets other than paper and approved steel then it's probably not the place for you. I would love to be able to use a dueling tree or other non-approved steel targets but it's a compromise that I can live with...if you know of any other range in the area that would allow all of what I would love to do please let me know because I would love the additional abilities.

You can use a dueling tree that has a flat or angled center post. Just no steel like a double spinner.

Thanks -- I didn't know that...any that you know of or could recommend?

The problem targets have round posts with a diameter larger than about 1 1/2 inches as they become ricochet machines. As long as the paddles are vertical or slightly down angled and the center post is a single flat or angled it will be fine.

Almost everybody that I know - including myself - uses handloads @ Tri-County.

Which of that ranges were you shooting at? The reason I ask is that some of the ranges have limitations such as the silhouette range (rimfire, blackpowder) only allows rimfire, black powder and pistol caliber rifles and handguns must have barrels of 6"+. Likewise I believe that the rifle range has a minimum barrel length if using a handgun.

As per the Tri County web site.......as of January 2015 there are 2,000 names on the wait list. So be prepared to wait. But if you've ever gotten fed up spending a lot of time and gas to find a trashed out shooting spot in the National Forest, then its worth the wait.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top