JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have opinions on this gun club? Thinking of joining, but thought I would ask around. I'd like to join Canby Rod & Gun Club (it is closer to Oregon City), but the waiting list was long last I checked, plus I think you have to have a sponsor. I like the fact that I can shoot my bow there as well.

TriCounty is the most well-rounded gun club / shooting facility in the metro area. Plenty of ranges from 25yd/50yd pistols ranges to 100yd general purpose ranges to 200/300/600yd ranges to shotgun fields to the action pits (for IPSC/cowboy shooting).

If they allowed centerfire rifle in the action pits, and had an indoor range that allowed more than just 22LR, it would be perfect.

It is ok. Been a member for 1 yr. I've use the 100 gen purpose range frequently.

Been to the 200/300/600 range only once. If you like sending bullets to the next zip code, tcgc 600 range can't beat. it is a two person operation, though. So make sure you team up with someone or bring a buddy with you.

The pistol range rules are lame and that's why I've never even tried it.

Have an indoor 22lr range you that's often used for meetings or training so it is not always available.

If you are into match shooting of any kind, it is a great venue (silhouette, cowboy, IPSC, etc.).

Just wished it wasn't such a long drive from home. I'd be there at least twice a week.

Nice facility. Very controlled but I supose its safe and keeps the reckless out. I agree it is a bit of a drive from the Oregon City area but not many other options with such a variety of ranges.

Great facility. I was a member there for years, but switched to Douglas Ridge Rifle Club for the past two years. I like the atmosphere better and I can practice at realistic defensive pistol ranges on the 100 yd. range without having to participate in IPSC or IDPA range matches like you do at Tri-County. Also, Douglas Ridge has one of only two 1,000 yard ranges in Oregon. Douglas Ridge also has an indoor range that you can shoot .22lr rifle as well as pistol calibers with some restrictions.

I've only been a member for a few months but really like it out there. Once I hit the 205 out of Gladstone it's 15 min. to the gate. Canby's about the same time wise for me...Hope to see you there!

it is just ok at best.

range rules change depending on which fudd is there

can only shoot paper slow fire unless you get ipsc cert

you can only shoot rifle standing at 100 yards, not at 200, and 600 is open only some of the times. really miss colorado use to shoot steel plates at 600 then 100 then 300 all without changing position.

really sucks if you compare it to ranges in other states even california,

but the options are really limited if you live in portland area

I've been a member for a couple of months and like it so far. There are a lot of rules, but that makes it safe for everyone. TCGC range is for shooting guns and that is great, but forget the bow range. I am a bow hunter and have a much better range in my own backyard. They have a small piece of land set aside for a good range just have not done much with it. I beleive it has a 20, 30, and 40 yard straight on shoot. I viewed it on first tour and then forgot all about it.

They have rules, well enforced and I think pretty sensible overall. They do run a tight ship, which is why I joined, and why I will probably remain a member for quite a while. Plus it's really close to my house!

I like the atmosphere, folks are always willing to talk about their gear (who would'nt) and even let you fire something you've never tried before.

I've been a member for many years. I got my IPSC cert (or whatever they call it) a long time ago and I use the action range for all my pistol shooting needs. Down in the action range there are not the same rules about fire rate and they allow steel targets. I like it because I get my own little world to shoot in and dont have to share it with anyone. Granted, sometimes you will go there during a IPSC cert and will have to wait for a pit to open up, but it is worth it.

I have brought my 7 year old to the indoor 22 range. Its a great place to start.

The options are limited and it is a bit spendy, but I am unwilling to take my life into my own hands and worry about what the stranger standing next to me will do.

the only taking new members the third Saturday of the month is pretty annoying. And having to spend all day doing it is annoying. Is this intended as a way to throttle new memberships? Like a disincentive to the halfhearted?

It doesn't take all day. They process your paper work and get you a key card. Then they go over an introduction and the rules. That takes up most of the time. When it is done there is a tour of the place.

When I joined it was on a Wednesday evening. I think having it on Saturday is more convienient.

It may seem "annoying" to you but being familiar with the facility and its rules is crucial for every member to have a safe and fun time.

why only the third saturday of the month? and they told me to show up a 9AM and be prepared to stay all day. I can only go by what they told me. I'm glad to hear its not actually all day. And I don't mind learning the rules and seeing the place. Not at all.

I am a member of Tri County Gun Club and I like what the range has to offer and the fact that there are more experienced shooters always around to help me out. Despite having one of the best gun ranges at my disposal, being a less experienced shooter, I found myself all alone and in trouble. For some, that would be paradise. WEll, if you go on the off-hours, Tri County is fairly empty, but there is still enough decent shooters around to help you out. I find shooting all by myself can get lonesome.

As far as Douglas Ridge, I didn't join because of the proximity to the power lines. Also, I felt the Tri County club offered more and I liked the layout more. The Douglas Ridge range is so close together and the long rifle range can only be used like once a week, which is a weekday. Many of the ranges at Douglas Ridge are shared, meaning if one is in use the other is disabled. The thing I hate most about Douglas Ridge is those super high energy power lines that are like 50 feet from you. I know many will disagree, but I don't like megadoses of radiation being sucked into my body as I spend a day at the range. Also, the crackling noises and just the plain ugliness of them annoy me.

Tri County Gun Club is in a very beautiful, naturally preserved environment and I like the feeling of being out in the boonies even though I am just 20 min from downtown Portland. Also, the club grounds are maintained well, they have a nice clean bathroom and a great clubhouse.

I have been a member for about a year. I like the place. I can't think of another place where people are so friendly. If you are tired of shooting or take a break, just step to the back and there is almost always somebody who wants to talk guns. I was there last Thursday and walked down the line just to see what people were shooting. One guy had a different looking survival rifle. He saw me looking at it and stepped back to tell me about it and then offered to let me shoot it. I did. Not many place like that. Safety is a big issue there, but I am OK with that.

They say get there at 9am, because there will be a lot of people registering to become new members. We got there around 10am. Basically you sow up fill out paperwork for tri-county, fill out paperwork to become an NRA member, then sit around till 11 or 11:30 where they do their laws and welcome you. Then they hand out the key cards and your free to go. They started their orientation and read all the laws, and we were free around 2pm. We did not do the tour, because we had already been there.

I really like going there with my brother, and shooting at the 22lr rifle range. Its nice to go to handguns or rifles or both at one place. Very friendly people, and a fun place to bring friends for a fun afternoon. Its nice to be just ten minutes away. We usually go once or twice a week. Before we would only go shooting one every other month.

On a side note, has anybody shot shotguns there when its just free shoot, as in not the official skeet or clay shoots? Just wondering what the rules are?

They say get there at 9am, because there will be a lot of people registering to become new members. We got there around 10am. Basically you sow up fill out paperwork for tri-county, fill out paperwork to become an NRA member, then sit around till 11 or 11:30 where they do their laws and welcome you. Then they hand out the key cards and your free to go. They started their orientation and read all the laws, and we were free around 2pm. We did not do the tour, because we had already been there.

I really like going there with my brother, and shooting at the 22lr rifle range. Its nice to go to handguns or rifles or both at one place. Very friendly people, and a fun place to bring friends for a fun afternoon. Its nice to be just ten minutes away. We usually go once or twice a week. Before we would only go shooting one every other month.

On a side note, has anybody shot shotguns there when its just free shoot, as in not the official skeet or clay shoots? Just wondering what the rules are?

Do you have to be/become an NRA memeber to join? Obviously, I am not anti-gun, but I don't necasarily agree with everything the NRA supports or how they are run. Is this a deal breaker?

Also, thank you all so much for your input. I was considering Douglas ridge, but the extra fee for legal defense had me wondering how much longer I would have to pay that. They have an archery range as well, from what I here.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top