JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you have to be/become an NRA memeber to join? Obviously, I am not anti-gun, but I don't necasarily agree with everything the NRA supports or how they are run. Is this a deal breaker?

Also, thank you all so much for your input. I was considering Douglas ridge, but the extra fee for legal defense had me wondering how much longer I would have to pay that. They have an archery range as well, from what I here.

I don't know of a range that doesn't require NRA membership to join. I beleive it is a requirement that has to do with the insurance that the ranges purchase through the NRA.

I don't know of a range that doesn't require NRA membership to join. I beleive it is a requirement that has to do with the insurance that the ranges purchase through the NRA.

Not to belittle all that the NRA has done for gun rights, but to say that they now have a monopoly on places you can go to enjoy the "freedom" that is supposed to be constitutional................................................I am at a loss.

I want to pay dues to shoot my legally owned firearms, and to do that I have to join an organization that I don't align with? If I knew an independant farmer I would gladly pay him $10/20 bucks a month to go out and shoot my guns. All I need is a place to put the pop cans. I don't need a roof over my head or fancy machines to bring back my target. Sorry, but I get pissed off anytime I feel like I am being forced into something.

You do have to be a member of or join the NRA. I don't know that this is something that is screened for renewal, though...
No, it isn't, from what I understood when I renewed this first time. They want you to join the NRA at least initially, but don't enforce it for renewals so far as I could tell.

MrB

Do you have to be/become an NRA memeber to join? Obviously, I am not anti-gun, but I don't necasarily agree with everything the NRA supports or how they are run. Is this a deal breaker?

Yes, they require you to sign up for an nra membership, My brother just signed up for the cheapest one, $10 for associate member, if you pay more you get a fancy magazine.

1. You don't have to compete in IPSC to certify. It only preps you to know how to set up and shoot and scoot. (static range shooting is fun but not practical)
2. The rules don't change with each "fud" that is the R.O. of the day. The rules are there for your safety and the viability of the TCGC. If the rules are'nt enforced, the club ceases to exist. We can't let you shoot "Gansta style" and keep other members safe.
3. If not the NRA, the who? Are you going to spend millions of your own bucks to fight the A$$ H@les in Salem and D.C. to preserve your rights. Sure, I don't always agree with them, but I vote for the leaders I like.
4. If you don't like the TCGC, then by all means, don't join. We want only members who will support and maintain the premere gun club in the grand Willamette Ditch.

Greydog, out.:s0155:

I just joined last weekend. I like the place because access to many ranges. Its 30 miles for me to drive there, but it is one of the best places in the metro area. Went there on a Sunday, not very many people on a great weather day. Not real happy you can't shoot 5.56 on the action range. I live 5 min from Douglas Ridge, but I have gotten bad vibes everytime I get a chance to shoot there. I will give it a full year and make my decision if I will stay.

Tony: Could you tell me why you are getting bad vibes at Douglas Ridge? I'm a member there. I am clueless how someone could get bad vibes. I know that every member I have met there have been wonderful people. Many will be more than happy to allow someone they just met to shoot there guns if you ask. All of them are polite and respectful. Never have I seen even the slightest bit of negativity from anyone.

Tony, are you a member at Douglas Ridge as well? I am and have never had any problems with folks there other than this last Hunter Sight-In Days with an old fart member who couldn't mind his own business, but that was more of an annoyance than a bad vibe kind of thing.

If you're not a member and would like a second chance to check out the range I would be willing to host you for a day as I'm sure other members would to help you check it out.

Coug and Warner, do you know how much longer the legal defense fee will be charged out at Douglas Ridge? That charge makes membership much more expensive, and was part of the reason I decided against it.

Warner, correct me if I'm wrong, but the last I heard the Judge had granted Douglas Ridge Summary judgment to dismiss the lawsuit. That does not mean that the former member can't appeal as he is an ***hat who is independently wealthy, but I would think if he decides to appeal it, it will probably be the last shot. Just my opinion BTW.

For myself, I will wait and see what happens in the next year to see if I remain at Douglas Ridge. For me it's not so much the money as it is having the clays range shut down as I enjoy shooting Trap. I'm getting tired of having to go to two different ranges to enjoy all of my shooting disciplines.

Well I hope you are right about the lawsuit. I've not heard anything but will stop by the club house next week and ask. Even paying the extra legal defense money it's worth it. I do hope the lawsuits are over though. From Oregon City I'd think the OP would save at least hundred bucks in gas over a year compared to driving out to Tri County.

Well I hope you are right about the lawsuit. I've not heard anything but will stop by the club house next week and ask. Even paying the extra legal defense money it's worth it. I do hope the lawsuits are over though. From Oregon City I'd think the OP would save at least hundred bucks in gas over a year compared to driving out to Tri County.

Warner, you make a good point about the gas money for the OP, but I usually go one the weekends so I have to drive to the range from Hillsboro, so it would actually be cheaper for me to still be a member at Tri-County. I just prefer the atmosphere at Douglas Ridge. More laid back, but still very safety focused.

If you want to join, do it now. The membership is capped at 4500, we have 3994 members right now and 70-80 new members every month over the winter so that will probably increase with better weather. I don't know if we will raise the membership cap again.
The dues are also prorated by quarter so you will not have to pay a full years dues when you join.
Just something to think about.

I've been a member there for 3 years. It is an awesome facility. The people are really nice and helpful. They have every kind of shooting there imaginable. I went to four corners here is Salem with some friends last week and I must say. You get more bang for your buck at Tri-County and the cost is the same. I hope I don't offend anyone, but I'm sure I will and that's my opinion. If you can get there on a weekday it's as if you're out there alone.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top