JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've lived in CA a long time - my advice is simple: be cool, don't speed (I set the cruise control to 70 and let 'em pass me), use common sense. I drive with guns in the car all the time always in the trunk, but in a soft-case. The ammo is usually in a backpack. I've never had cause to open the trunk for a LEO.

THey're idiots in this state - I'd be more worried about bystanders than LEOs - just be discrete when transporting the guns to your hotel room - throw the gun case and some ammo in a duffel bag and keep it nearby in the hotel room.

As for the AR-15 - there are a bunch of "grandfathered clauses" in the law, and no one, to my knowledge, has registered their ARs with the state of CA as an "assault weapon" - again, your out of state ID will probably keep you out of jail. Just be aware of your surroundings, especially in a heavily populated area.

Good luck
LEO's cannot stop and search your car without a reason. Same for your person. Don't give them a reason. I do what I want to do in California.

LEO's cannot stop and search your car without a reason. Same for your person. Don't give them a reason. I do what I want to do in California.
Correct - but some cities are worse than others.
My experience is to avoid the LEOs in these cities:
The OC: Anaheim, Santa Ana and Huntington Beach (yeah, the last one is probably the worst one)
LA County: LAPD and LA Sheriffs
Ventura County: Simi Valley
Santa Barbara County: Carpinteria is patrolled by SB Sheriffs "training squad" - they give true meaning to the term "dick"
I've never had issues in Santa Bernardino or Riverside Counties or with the CA Hwy Patrol - but some of these other cities have a force that is a little over-zealous in my opinion.

Good luck

I finally got pulled over, first time in over 20 years, and it was in.... CALIFORNIA. I was on HWY 139 going a whopping 5 over and cost me over $200.

Concealed means concealed.

And I carry a P225.

That's all I have to say on this subject.

:mad::D:Do_O

You have this right!! I laughed so hard when I read the Santa Barbara County comments. I have lived there most of my life, and you speak nothing but truth!! There was one Sheriff in our little area who was a cool dude..he's long retired. Can't wait to retire myself and get outta CA. But, will miss the weather. LOL.

The OC: Anaheim, Santa Ana and Huntington Beach (yeah, the last one is probably the worst one)
Santa Barbara County: Carpinteria is patrolled by SB Sheriffs "training squad" - they give true meaning to the term "dick"
I've never had issues in Santa Bernardino or Riverside Counties or with the CA Hwy Patrol - but some of these other cities have a force that is a little over-zealous in my opinion.

Good luck

Good luck

What people who haven't lived in California don't understand is that law enforcement operates differently there than in other states and also depending on the agency. Some cops in smaller cities can be cool but driving through California can be a minefield. You may find yourself in an area where cops are just looking for a reason to stop you. Sometimes, cops will stop you even without probable cause if you look halfway suspicious and count on most people just not wanting to spend the attorney fees to fight it. In some of the more "active" cities, this an unofficial part of the field training program.

If you are caught with a firearm that violates any of the draconian firearms laws, don't count on law enforcement looking the other way unless you are a political insider. Some cops are genuinely pro-2A and will give a pass to the really stupid stuff. Most police that I have seen think the laws are stupid but enforce them anyway because they are "just doing their job." Others claim that they are pro-2A because they like guns but still won't think twice about locking you up as long as they get an exemption under the law (it is very common for police to be exempt from California's gun laws... the police unions usually push for the exemptions). Some don't even bother hiding it. They will say that the public can't be trusted with guns. Only the police can be trusted because of training and whatnot. It is all up the officer's discretion so it is really a roll of the dice.

If you are going to refuse the comply with the gun laws, I applaud your efforts but just remember: don't talk to the police and don't volunteer information because there is a high probability that they are fishing for a reason to arrest you. Law enforcement is very much a good ol boys club. If you aren't in it, then you're not in it. Lots of California cops that I know don't associate much with those who aren't in the club and many have an "us vs them" attitude with the public. Just be careful.

Ugh, heading to Fresno on Wednesday.... this thread has become useful.

Driving and looks like I'm taking my Mod.2 in .40 since it's the only magazine gun I have less with than 10 in the mag.

Or I take a LCR... but that's only 5 .357'sans it takes longer to load under duress vs slamming a mag in and sending the slide home.

Gun empty of magazine, loaded magazines in case, case locked on rear passenger floor board...

Or do I install a car gun vault for the trip and keep it in there?

Ugh, heading to Fresno on Wednesday.... this thread has become useful.

Driving and looks like I'm taking my Mod.2 in .40 since it's the only magazine gun I have less with than 10 in the mag.

Or I take a LCR... but that's only 5 .357'sans it takes longer to load under duress vs slamming a mag in and sending the slide home.

Gun empty of magazine, loaded magazines in case, case locked on rear passenger floor board...

Or do I install a car gun vault for the trip and keep it in there?
If you're going to have gun accessible in the passenger compartment be discrete - do not keep a large box on the floorboard in plain view. You may be better off having a laptop case or briefcase, something nondescript, rather than advertise, "there's gun in this box"

Maybe keep the gun in the laptop case and the magazine in a backpack

If you're going to have gun accessible in the passenger compartment be discrete - do not keep a large box on the floorboard in plain view. You may be better off having a laptop case or briefcase, something nondescript, rather than advertise, "there's gun in this box"

Maybe keep the gun in the laptop case and the magazine in a backpack
Thanks. It would be according to law "in a locked box". And I'm sure my original hard case that says "NOT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA" would be awesome.

Just returned from my trip. 10 days in the PRC and not a problem. Took my 1911 and G43 locked in cases unloaded in trunk. Mags and ammo in separate bag in passenger compartment. Saw very little LEO presence and trip went smooth.

I take an 870 7 round tactical shotgun and a 1911. Figure both are less than 10 rounds and should be sufficient for resolving awkward social situations.

The way I look at it......

Don't ask....don't tell.

Quick lesson: California Gun Laws: Can Visitors Carry Their Firearm?

And, don't try going onto any military installations or Federal security areas while on vacation or while in your home state with a CCW permit or even unloaded in the trunk. You'll be turned away.

Your motel room is your "temporary residence." My loaded handgun is next to me while I'm sleeping. And, I don't let the maid or room service in. When I check out, they can clean the room.

If by chance......well, speak to my lawyer.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
"LEO's cannot stop and search your car without a reason. Same for your person. Don't give them a reason. I do what I want to do in California."

The police can do anything they want and it will be justified later. Totally agree about not giving them a reason, but a reason is whatever they say it is. Out of state plates are a great reason - plates = easy victim. You probably can't spend the time and effort to fight it so anything is a slam dunk for them.

My wife and I went on a lovely road trip through the Western US in '15. I wanted to take my 19+1 capacity pistol, but decided to leave it home because we had to cut through the DPRK in the NE sector. I view going to Kalifornia about the same as visiting any other Communist country. Leaving was a relief on the order of taking the porcelain pony for a ride after driving 500 miles.

I have traveled in Kalifornia many times, and it almost every other state in the U.S. I carry my Ruger LCP with me in my chest shirt pocket, it does not print there, and it is so small no one can even tell there is anything in that pocket. I have always carried this way in Kalifornia, and I have never been stopped and "patted down" by any LEO for any reason, the reason being I never caused any trouble anywhere. If the criminals can carry, so can I. In fact, LEO's are not allowed to search you or your car without "probable cause", don't give them one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top