JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have read the California law book for 2016 and have more questions than answers...
My wife and I will be taking a road trip this summer to visit her mother in San Diego area. We will be driving and visiting many national parks and and tourist attractions along the way.
I know that I have to transport a pistol unloaded and in a locked box preferably in the trunk. What I am not sure of is the following:

- Where does the mag for the pistol have to be stored and can it be loaded?

- Can I travel throughout the state with a Gen 4 Glock? Does my travel pistol have to be on the approved list of handguns allowed to be sold?

- Can I travel with a AR15 rifle in the trunk? Mags?

- I assume any mag I transport has to be 10 rounds or less?

Am I missing anything?

Thank your for the help in understanding this CA BS...

Mags legally have to be 10 rounds or less. Getting caught with 11+ rounds isn't a huge deal. It is only an infraction (a fine and they take your mag) and SB 1446 doesn't even go into effect until July so if you are coming back to America before then, it shouldn't be a problem. The old law really only regulated sales and manufacture, not possession.

As far as I know, the "safe" handgun roster only pertains to sales so the Gen 4 Glock shouldn't be an issue.

All firearms not carried pursuant to a California concealed weapons permit must be transported unloaded in a locked container. I don't think there is a requirement that the ammunition be stored separately. Also, the glove compartment does not constitute a locked container. Last I heard, the trunk DOES constitute a locked container.

The AR-15 might get you into trouble unless you don't mind being a test case for the new "Gunpocalypse" laws. There is no longer established court precedent for what constitutes an "assault weapon." My understanding of the new law is that semi-automatic rifles must not be capable of accepting more than 10 rounds and the weapon must be configured in a way that removal of the magazine requires the disassembly of the action. Basically, on an AR-15, you have to configure the weapon in such a way that you have to separate the upper receiver from the lower receiver to remove the magazine. There are tools being sold online that claim to accomplish this but I am hesitant to recommend any as the law is new and who knows whether any will stand up in court.

If you are set on bringing your AR, the safest way to do it would be to make the rifle featureless. To do this, you must have a fixed stock, you cannot have a flash suppressor (muzzle brake is okay), you cannot have a pistol grip (you can attach a grip wrap to accomplish this) and any magazines must be 10 rounds or less.

Also, one thing I would be careful about is that any weapons transported in the vehicle must be transported "to or from a lawful purpose." I don't think anybody really knows what this means. I guess you could claim that you are transporting the weapons through Kalifornistan back to America but I haven't looked up the specific court cases dealing with this provision.

Have a good time! If you like beer and you have time, check out Coronado Brewing Company. I went to school in San Diego and that was one of my favorite haunts. You can have a few pints at the pub and then walk off the beer at the park down the street that overlooks the city from across the water.

I guess you could claim that you are transporting the weapons through Kalifornistan back to America but I haven't looked up the specific court cases dealing with this provision.

If you mean the 'safe passage' section of FOPA, then you cannot stop anywhere in the state to visit, you must be traveling through the state - only short stops for food or fuel - you cannot stay overnight. Even then, many LEOs are not familiar with FOPA and some locales simply choose to ignore it altogether, going ahead and confiscating your firearms and then you have to fight in court to get them back, if not fighting other charges as well.

Mags legally have to be 10 rounds or less. Getting caught with 11+ rounds isn't a huge deal. It is only an infraction (a fine and they take your mag) and SB 1446 doesn't even go into effect until July so if you are coming back to America before then, it shouldn't be a problem. The old law really only regulated sales and manufacture, not possession.

As far as I know, the "safe" handgun roster only pertains to sales so the Gen 4 Glock shouldn't be an issue.

All firearms not carried pursuant to a California concealed weapons permit must be transported unloaded in a locked container. I don't think there is a requirement that the ammunition be stored separately. Also, the glove compartment does not constitute a locked container. Last I heard, the trunk DOES constitute a locked container.

The AR-15 might get you into trouble unless you don't mind being a test case for the new "Gunpocalypse" laws. There is no longer established court precedent for what constitutes an "assault weapon." My understanding of the new law is that semi-automatic rifles must not be capable of accepting more than 10 rounds and the weapon must be configured in a way that removal of the magazine requires the disassembly of the action. Basically, on an AR-15, you have to configure the weapon in such a way that you have to separate the upper receiver from the lower receiver to remove the magazine. There are tools being sold online that claim to accomplish this but I am hesitant to recommend any as the law is new and who knows whether any will stand up in court.

If you are set on bringing your AR, the safest way to do it would be to make the rifle featureless. To do this, you must have a fixed stock, you cannot have a flash suppressor (muzzle brake is okay), you cannot have a pistol grip (you can attach a grip wrap to accomplish this) and any magazines must be 10 rounds or less.

Also, one thing I would be careful about is that any weapons transported in the vehicle must be transported "to or from a lawful purpose." I don't think anybody really knows what this means. I guess you could claim that you are transporting the weapons through Kalifornistan back to America but I haven't looked up the specific court cases dealing with this provision.

Have a good time! If you like beer and you have time, check out Coronado Brewing Company. I went to school in San Diego and that was one of my favorite haunts. You can have a few pints at the pub and then walk off the beer at the park down the street that overlooks the city from across the water.
Thank you. I was just curious about the AR. I more than likely will just take my 6 shot 357 revolver or 8 shot 1911 and calll it good. I am strictly taking as a hotel security option along with personal protection in case of natural disaster while visiting.

Thank you. I was just curious about the AR. I more than likely will just take my 6 shot 357 revolver or 8 shot 1911 and calll it good. I am strictly taking as a hotel security option along with personal protection in case of natural disaster while visiting.

Yeah, this is more or less what I will be doing after I retire - take a revolver and a lever action rifle with me - mostly for hunting pigs and shooting and a little for defense. I will be passing through CA, maybe visiting relatives in LA, maybe doing some riding in N. Ca.

I am not particularly clear on rimfire semis though - I think it used to be that they were exempted - but there again, I could take a bolt or lever action, and the handguns have small mags or I could take a revolver.

If you mean the 'safe passage' section of FOPA, then you cannot stop anywhere in the state to visit, you must be traveling through the state - only short stops for food or fuel - you cannot stay overnight. Even then, many LEOs are not familiar with FOPA and some locales simply choose to ignore it altogether, going ahead and confiscating your firearms and then you have to fight in court to get them back, if not fighting other charges as well.

No. I meant the California penal code section that deals with this. For example, if a California state resident wanted to transport a firearm to the range or to a gunsmith, those would be considered lawful purposes for transport. However, I haven't seen any court cases establishing precedent for what does not constitute "lawful purpose."

Most cops really only enforce the locked container issue as it is difficult to prove in court why you are transporting a firearm.

I carry in Kalifornia all the time, BUT, I carry a single stack 1911 locked away and the ammo has to be kept separate from the gun. As for the AR, unless you make it CA compliant, it's a no go! I carry ether an SKS or an old K-31 Swiss to skirt the ammo restrictions, plus having Stripper Clip feeding gets me around the issue with out any B.S. DO NOT chance any thing until you KNOW all the ins and outs!

Or ... have your mother in law come up to visit you? Would that be easier? I have family in Kommiefornika and we all understand they must come North. I will NOT drive South. That is just the way it is.

Or ... have your mother in law come up to visit you? Would that be easier? I have family in Kommiefornika and we all understand they must come North. I will NOT drive South. That is just the way it is.
I wish that was an option. However she is not in the best of health and cannot travel. I swore I would never visit California however I do not want to deprive my wife of 17 years the opportunity to see her Mom.

I went down a few years ago for camping in the red woods. I know I can carry in national parks but the area we were going to was in and out of the parks so I called to ask their advice and they told me.jusy leave it at home. lol yeah right I took my p238 and just left it locked in the factory case while driving. then again I wasn't stopped and kept in concealed while.out of the car

I went down a few years ago for camping in the red woods. I know I can carry in national parks but the area we were going to was in and out of the parks so I called to ask their advice and they told me.jusy leave it at home. lol yeah right I took my p238 and just left it locked in the factory case while driving. then again I wasn't stopped and kept in concealed while.out of the car
I wasn't aware I could carry in National Parks???

handgunlaw.us is the best resource. Here is their pdf on California.

If I were you (and I'm not, so you do you), I'd place my empty Glock 27 with several 9rd and 10rd loaded magazines locked in a steel keyed box right behind the passenger seat. I think I'd also throw a simple pump shotgun or lever 30-30 into the trunk, unloaded, with the rounds in an easily accessible spot.

Be aware that either of these firearms have to be a locked case while transported from vehicle to hotel room. So maybe only the handgun goes in with y'all.

FOPA only deals with those times when you are taking "illegal" items from one legal place to another legal place THROUGH slave country. In those cases, it is wise to plan the route so you NEVER EVER stop, even to go to the bathroom, eat, or get gas. It can be argued by a competent attorney that you were kosher even when stopping to eat temporarily while on your trip, but that doesn't help you feel better while sitting in a New Jersey jail. FOPA doesn't apply when you're taking a trip with your actual destination being said slave country.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews