JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wasn't aware I could carry in National Parks???

You can, but only as allowed by state statute. As of 2010, if you are allowed to carry within the state that the park is located, you can carry in the park. As it relates to California, unless you have a California concealed weapons permit, you cannot legally carry within national parks located in California. In Oregon, concealed carry is legal for CHL holders, otherwise, open carry is legal for other park visitors except for federal facilities where carry is prohibited.

See here: https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf

You can, but only as allowed by state statute. As of 2010, if you are allowed to carry within the state that the park is located, you can carry in the park. As it relates to California, unless you have a California concealed weapons permit, you cannot legally carry within national parks located in California. In Oregon, concealed carry is legal for CHL holders, otherwise, open carry is legal for other park visitors except for federal facilities where carry is prohibited.

See here: https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf
Thank you for the clarification. Save me from a potential "issue"

When we cruised the Alaska pan handle back in 2015 we landed in Sitka Alaska. There were museums that were maintained by rangers so there were signs at the entrances saying that carrying of firearms were not allowed. Since I was taking a cruise I did not have to worry.

When I went to Yellowstone, I was totally legal to carry in the park...but when we went into the Old Faithful visitors' center I made to walk in such a way to give the absolute most secrecy for the firearm under my shirt. I did not want to get noticed in any way

How often in California has anyone ever seen others carry firearms or been nailed for having one.?
Conceal Carry means conceal carry. Locked in a trunk why in Oregon we carry chambered
and want seconds and waiting for a minute to get to protection is nuts.
Don't speed , obeyt all laws and well just like here police wont care. With out of state plates you are noticed
so obey all laws. Or get a rental car with Cal plates.
Hmmmm 20 years since I have been there and that's why, nothing is worth losing my life in that state.

I thought that this was discussed in another thread? Didn't we determine that there is no legal way to 'travel' to/around California with a firearm? And even passing through put you at such a legal risk, you may as well buy some life insurance, and die if needed?

OP... You could just leave your weapons here in Oregon... Then once you get to your destination, pick up one of those california legal guns from the kids at the corner. They have everything that you need.

If there is enough time, you can order the wood furniture for your AR from Brownells. Once you put it on, your black gun won't be so scary. In fact, it may even confuse them enough to just let you be on your way as if you were a private citizen.

When we cruised the Alaska pan handle back in 2015 we landed in Sitka Alaska. There were museums that were maintained by rangers so there were signs at the entrances saying that carrying of firearms were not allowed. Since I was taking a cruise I did not have to worry.

When I was in Alaska back in the '80s, Alaska NPs were one of the few parks systems where firearms carry was not only allowed, but encouraged. I hiked and camped on the Kenai with a .44 mag in a visible shoulder holster and met a ranger with a .458 mag rifle slung over his shoulder.

Conversely, as I recall, no firearms were allowed in Yellowstone - not even in the trunk?

But yes, in federal facilities, generally not allowed.

and the antis wonder why us gun nuts are so stubborn against "common sense" gun control.

no s***. there is always one more measure that will make everyone even more safe. one more "loophole" that must be closed. one more gun that must be banned but its okay because there will be lots more guns that you can use instead... until next year when those are banned too.

no s***. there is always one more measure that will make everyone even more safe. one more "loophole" that must be closed. one more gun that must be banned but its okay because there will be lots more guns that you can use instead... until next year when those are banned too.

yes, but the end all measure of this is how much safer it makes us all from "gun violence". Just look at how safe it is to travel in California now.

:rolleyes:

Couple of things. Isn't there some sort of federal law or regulation that lets you travel on the Interstate highway corridor and be immune from lots of nasty various state law garbage? That is if you stay near the freeway and are considered a continuous traveler just passing through?

On the North Slope of Alaska at the various habitats for the winter personnel the weapons of choice were the short barreled 10 gage or 12 gage pump with maximum slug loads. The carry piece was at the minimum the S&W 629 Mountain Gun in .44 mag, also with max loads. Bigger better.

Polar Bears.

How come when you edit your post the compouter can never figure out how to freeze the text length? Each time you correct your post other done paragraph lengths change? Duhh, dunno. :)

Couple of things. Isn't there some sort of federal law or regulation that lets you travel on the Interstate highway corridor and be immune from lots of nasty various state law garbage? That is if you stay near the freeway and are considered a continuous traveler just passing through?

On the North Slope of Alaska at the various habitats for the winter personnel the weapons of choice were the short barreled 10 gage or 12 gage pump with maximum slug loads. The carry piece was at the minimum the S&W 629 Mountain Gun in .44 mag, also with max loads. Bigger better.

Polar Bears.

How come when you edit your post the compouter can never figure out how to freeze the text length? Each time you correct your post other done paragraph lengths change? Duhh, dunno. :)

Yes, you legally have a right to safe passage under FOPA. However, some states refuse to recognize this provision. For example, New York has a history of arresting and confiscating the weapons of those who do not have a permit issued by the State of New York when travelling through their airports, even if New York is not their final destination.

The Third Circuit even ruled that FOPA does not protect people walking through a terminal to get to their flight. They said that FOPA only counts if you are actually in a vehicle.

I have no doubt that some law enforcement agencies in California would do the same. One of the California State Assembly-things, Reggie Jones-Sawyer is actually on record in saying (paraphrased): We make laws that violate the Constitution because this is California and that is just the way it works here.

I know for a fact that California LEOs do not receive any sort of training on FOPA or how enforcement of the laws of the State of California would be at odds with it in the POST Basic Police Academy. Unless they get agency specific training (or perhaps not even then), I am sure safe passage rights are completely ignored.

I have read the California law book for 2016 and have more questions than answers...
My wife and I will be taking a road trip this summer to visit her mother in San Diego area. We will be driving and visiting many national parks and and tourist attractions along the way.
I know that I have to transport a pistol unloaded and in a locked box preferably in the trunk. What I am not sure of is the following:

- Where does the mag for the pistol have to be stored and can it be loaded?

- Can I travel throughout the state with a Gen 4 Glock? Does my travel pistol have to be on the approved list of handguns allowed to be sold?

- Can I travel with a AR15 rifle in the trunk? Mags?

- I assume any mag I transport has to be 10 rounds or less?

Am I missing anything?

Thank your for the help in understanding this CA BS...
I've lived in CA a long time - my advice is simple: be cool, don't speed (I set the cruise control to 70 and let 'em pass me), use common sense. I drive with guns in the car all the time always in the trunk, but in a soft-case. The ammo is usually in a backpack. I've never had cause to open the trunk for a LEO.

THey're idiots in this state - I'd be more worried about bystanders than LEOs - just be discrete when transporting the guns to your hotel room - throw the gun case and some ammo in a duffel bag and keep it nearby in the hotel room.

As for the AR-15 - there are a bunch of "grandfathered clauses" in the law, and no one, to my knowledge, has registered their ARs with the state of CA as an "assault weapon" - again, your out of state ID will probably keep you out of jail. Just be aware of your surroundings, especially in a heavily populated area.

Good luck

The easiest way to stay within the law is to keep your hand gun in a locked container since most cars these days do not have an actual trunk that can't be accessed from within the car. If you can reach your trunk from within the car, it is not by definition a locked container. You can keep your ammo in the same locked container as the gun. It does not have to be kept separate, you just can't have the gun loaded, meaning a loaded magazine in the gun or breach or ammo in the cylinders of a revolver.

It's not worth the effort to bring an AR style rifle as the laws about how to configure your rifle to be legal are too complex for a short visit to California. You need a mentor to walk you through the complexities of avoiding a felony when it comes to AR's. Maybe just bring a shot gun if you feel like you need a long gun and bring a locking case made for rifles to keep the unloaded shotgun in.

Have a safe trip and come back to Oregon in one piece!

I have read the California law book for 2016 and have more questions than answers...
My wife and I will be taking a road trip this summer to visit her mother in San Diego area. We will be driving and visiting many national parks and and tourist attractions along the way.
I know that I have to transport a pistol unloaded and in a locked box preferably in the trunk. What I am not sure of is the following:

- Where does the mag for the pistol have to be stored and can it be loaded?

- Can I travel throughout the state with a Gen 4 Glock? Does my travel pistol have to be on the approved list of handguns allowed to be sold?

- Can I travel with a AR15 rifle in the trunk? Mags?

- I assume any mag I transport has to be 10 rounds or less?

Am I missing anything?

Thank your for the help in understanding this CA BS...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top