JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've read the ATF FAQ's, but I still have a question that some of you might be able to answer.

Can two residents of the same state legally complete a transfer of a firearm while in another state?

From my research, it is very clear that both parties have to be residents of the same state, but I can't find anything that says they have to BE in their home state during the transaction.

For example... Mark and Bob are legal residents of Washington. They are on a hunting trip in Oregon. While at hunting camp in Oregon, Mark decides he likes Bob's deer rifle, and offers a fair price. Bob accepts, and they complete the transaction with a handshake.

Were any federal or state laws violated in this hypothetical transaction?

Thank you for your educated thoughts and opinions. Citations of actual laws with links would be most helpful!
Thanks!

So both are residents of one state (WA).
Both go to (OR) and transfer ownership of a firearm.
Both return to (WA).
You are both in violation of (OR) and Federal law.
You are non-resident transactors.
The gun must pass through an FFL.

My opinion is my own, a legend in my own mind.

So both are residents of one state (WA).
Both go to (OR) and transfer ownership of a firearm.
Both return to (WA).
You are both in violation of (OR) and Federal law.
You are non-resident transactors.
The gun must pass through an FFL.

My opinion is my own, a legend in my own mind.

Thanks for your input and opinion, Rick..your opinion is the common initial reaction, but I've been unable to find the laws that support that.

In a PRACTICAL sense (given the scenerio outlined above) both parties are residents of the same state and temporarily sojurning outside their home state and return then no "interstate transfer" has actually occurred in the end. That being said, there's a few things to consider.

Since Washington now has in effect (as of today) a UBC requirement on ALL firearms transfers. You could wind up in the soup with your state if it could be proven a transfer did in fact happen, because the end result is WA Resident-A had possession of a particular firearm, now WA Resident-B has possession of that particular firearm and Washington's new UBC requirement doesn't stipulate the LOCATION of where that transfer takes place between two WA residents... Or does it?

Consider that it could be argued the outlined scenerio is interstate commerce because it involves more than one state which would require an FFL, and it could still land you in the soup with the Feds.

Does the state this "handshake deal" occur in have a UBC requirement or any other restrictions on the sale of firearms? If so, you'd be subject to those state laws as well, and again you could wind up in the soup with another state.

The ol' adage, "don't start none, won't be none" comes to mind. o_O

Interesting, but consider your example carried a bit further:

1. Mark buys a gun from a dealer after 594 passes, the gun is now registered to Mark.
2. Your transaction in Oregon takes place, Bob now has the gun, no FFL was involved
3. Bob, later, decides to sell to someone else in Washington, now using an FFL since he's in the state
4. Transaction is flagged because that gun is supposed to belong to Mark and there's no record of it 'legally' changing hands in the state.
5. Mark and Bob now have questions to answer and potentially face federal and/or state charges.

Just a further thought on your example. Would it be legal? Hard to say, my gut says no, and I wouldn't do it for that reason. And, other than an example such as I call out, how would they ever know? If your guns were never officially registered through a transaction, how would they know a transfer took place?

That said, if it wasn't illegal, I would imagine there will be a lot of WA residents meeting each other in the parking lots at Jantzen Beach in the future ;)

That said, if it wasn't illegal, I would imagine there will be a lot of WA residents meeting each other in the parking lots at Jantzen Beach in the future ;)

Sidestepping a little bit, after reading i594, the main goal is to prevent FTF sales in Washington without a background check. That said, Washington law doesn't apply outside of Washington.

For example, a California Politician had to resign his job because he posted a picture of a cougar that he had shot in Idaho. California has a ban on shooting cougars, but it is legal in Idaho. He eventually had to resign his job over the boiling pot, but legally, California didn't have a leg to stand on.

Another example, prior to Oregon legalizing dope, an Oregonian could go across the river to Vantucky and buy "legal" weed from a store and smoke it in Oregon. As long as said individual wasn't driving under the influence, or possessing weed, the individual wouldn't be violating Oregon law.

Prostitution is illegal in Washington and Oregon, however, if a resident of Oregon or Washington traveled to Las Vegas, and hired a hooker, which is legal in Nevada, they would NOT be in violation of Oregon or Washington law.

Please note, this is not legal advice, just my own personal interpretation of the law.

Unlicensed Persons Questions

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

As a side note, I didn't know that prohibited persons could own "antique firearms".

1. Can a person prohibited by law from possessing a firearm acquire and use a black powder
muzzle loading firearm?

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) prohibits felons and certain other persons from possessing or
receiving firearms and ammunition ("prohibited persons"). These categories can be found at 18
U.S.C. § 922(g) and (n) inhttp://atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf.
However, Federal law does not prohibit these persons from possessing or receiving an antique
firearm. The term "antique firearm" means any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock,
flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898. The definition includes any replica of an antique firearm if it is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or uses rimfire or conventional centerfire ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States, and which is not readily available in ordinary channels of commercial trade. Further, any muzzle loading rifle, shotgun, or pistol which is designed to use black powder or black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition, is an "antique firearm" unless it (1) incorporates a firearm frame or receiver; (2) is a firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon; or (3) is a muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination
thereof. See 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3), (a)(16).

http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

Unlicensed Persons Questions

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

There it is... The first part of the answer to the second question!

I read that this morning at 4am and it didn't "click", because it was 4am. Now it's 8:14am and it "clicks", because it's now 8:14am! :rolleyes:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads