JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The first toy guns I remember playing with were shaped like a revolver cut out of a sponge. Mom made them for us. I'll never forget Christmas when Uncle Ted bought me a double rig set with chrome, engraved revolver cap guns with fake stag grips and fake bullets for the belt loops. I had a lever action that when cocked and fired had the same sound from the TV shows. Sounded more like a ricochet than a real gun shot, but it fit with what I knew.
About the time I was 7 or 8 Dad took me out and let me shoot Grandpa's .22 rifle (still have it) About a year later it was Grandpa's .22 pistol (still have it, too) I learned the difference between toy guns and real guns at an early age.
Still we played "Cops and Robbers", "Cowboys and Injuns", and even "Adam 12".

I'm going to piss some people off next.

You played with guns as a kid and grew up understanding the difference but you have a "no toy gun" policy for your own kids? Do you also believe in kids playing sports and not keeping score because you don't want anyone's feelings hurt, too? Many of the video games that have been available for years desensitize the player into believing it's ok to kill people and steal things.....
What the He$$ ever happened to teaching the things like responsibility, good sportsmanship and Right from Wrong? What happened to this knowledge coming from the parents?

Sorry to hijack your thread Playboy. There's just something that rubs me wrong here.

Orygun

Orygun - you stated what I also believe.
When I was young I used to point my toy guns at pretend enemys (friends) but I learned the dangers of pointing a real gun at anyone, especially if I thought it was empty!
Tom

I know that I had no trouble distinguishing real guns from toy guns and the differences in handling the two when I was a kid. I had toy guns (that looked real) and there were real guns (unlocked and loaded) in the house. I never touched the real ones without an adult present. The toy guns were my favorite toys.

My kids can play with toy guns. The real ones are locked up (not old enough to use them even with supervision). However, I will not allow my kids to play with toy guns that look like real guns. When I was a kid, it was unheard of for a 12 year old to shoot another kid or take a shot at a cop. I realize that nowadays that is a reality. I do not want my kid getting shot because he doesn't realize that a police officer (or a CHL holder) is pointing a real gun at him in response to a perceived threat. And NO, the little orange and red plastic tips don't cut it.

As a kid growing up I loved toy guns. I had a couple toy guns, my fovorite choices were little squirt gun pistols and the wooden bat I had. The bat could be anything gun, sword, or club.

I don't have kids yet, but would be ok getting them toy guns. I like what someone said earlier with the toy guns that looked like toys as compared to the toy guns now that look like guns...and airsoft guns can be pretty dangerous. I have had a few of those as well. I think the main thing is that kids understand and have a healthy fear/reverance for the real deal.

When I was a kid, it was unheard of for a 12 year old to shoot another kid or take a shot at a cop. I realize that nowadays that is a reality. I do not want my kid getting shot because he doesn't realize that a police officer (or a CHL holder) is pointing a real gun at him in response to a perceived threat. And NO, the little orange and red plastic tips don't cut it.

I do realize that things are different these days in respect to what you stated. When I was a kid, we waved to the cops in our town when they drove by. We knew them, they knew us and it wasn't a bad thing.

Agree with Artilleryman on his post yesterday.

I am also 40 and agree with alot that he posted. I have lived in the great NW all of my life and was lucky enough to have a father who was a career service man. I grew up around guns and was taught from an early age what was right and wrong. I remember sick days from school sitting on the couch and dad would break out a 357 and let me practice with it. I did have toy guns as did all of my friends.

As a father now I am trying to instill the rights and wrongs with my own son. He does have toy guns and also has a airsoft that looks real. And yes he is into all the video games of today where most of his favorites are tactical games where you shoot people. As I type this he is shooting a nerf gun at a beer bottle on the counter:) Go figure.

I am 27 and when I was a kid... I several guns. Back in the 90's when the real looking ones came out. I had it all back then.

I moved on to BB guns, of which I had 6 different ones.

and naturally, I now have way more guns than any 3 peope need.

My kids however, do not have a huge interest in toy guns. My son 'shoots' everything with his hand. My daughter is 5 and my son is 2.

My daughter shoots the .22 when we are camping/hiking and enjoys it. I let my son pretend to shoot it.

I think it stems from me being so open about guns. When I am cleaning them, the kids come up and ask to hold it and I let them. My daughter has my Marlin 25 figured out. When I take it out of the case she always asks to clear it. She drops the mag, opens the bolt and pokes her finger into the chamber and says "no bullets daddy" it seriously brings a tear to my eye.

I dont have a 'no toy gun' rule, but I am certainly raising them to know the difference between a real gun and a nerf dart gun or a cap gun. They know not to mess with real guns but they also know that anytime they want to see them, I will get them out and we'll handle them for a couple minutes. I dont worry about it at all. I make it such a mundane issue that they dont really notice or care.

My goal is to take the mystery out of guns and create respect for them. My father had several guns and never made these gestures towards me, and when no one was home I would break into the gun cabinet and check out the guns... I knew more about them than he did! But in other cases, this is how accidents happen.

I am 27 and when I was a kid... I several guns. Back in the 90's when the real looking ones came out. I had it all back then.

I moved on to BB guns, of which I had 6 different ones.

and naturally, I now have way more guns than any 3 peope need.

My kids however, do not have a huge interest in toy guns. My son 'shoots' everything with his hand. My daughter is 5 and my son is 2.

My daughter shoots the .22 when we are camping/hiking and enjoys it. I let my son pretend to shoot it.

I think it stems from me being so open about guns. When I am cleaning them, the kids come up and ask to hold it and I let them. My daughter has my Marlin 25 figured out. When I take it out of the case she always asks to clear it. She drops the mag, opens the bolt and pokes her finger into the chamber and says "no bullets daddy" it seriously brings a tear to my eye.

I dont have a 'no toy gun' rule, but I am certainly raising them to know the difference between a real gun and a nerf dart gun or a cap gun. They know not to mess with real guns but they also know that anytime they want to see them, I will get them out and we'll handle them for a couple minutes. I dont worry about it at all. I make it such a mundane issue that they dont really notice or care.

My goal is to take the mystery out of guns and create respect for them. My father had several guns and never made these gestures towards me, and when no one was home I would break into the gun cabinet and check out the guns... I knew more about them than he did! But in other cases, this is how accidents happen.

I'd like to add one thing...:s0155::s0155: Way to go!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top